Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
@Arctic Roll, doesn't sound to be promising on the lake front.

Varet, yes, understood.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Layne, there are plenty of places to swim in pools and streams on the mountain. But most are hidden away and this summer the water levels right now are very low or dried up in the more easy to reach ones. When planning where you stay in summer, I would choose Arc 1800 or Bourg as more goes on in these places than anywhere else and you can reach some good hikes with nice swimming places from both bases.

There are also loads of tennis courts in Bourg and some in Arc 1800 as well

@Arctic Roll, the lake above Arc 2000 has rescue rings and is not fenced off so if you swim there you do so at your own risk. It is deep in the middle and cold, but really refreshing in this heat. 36 degrees the other day. It is not drinking water, just water for the snow canons. I guess the fisherman might complain, but I have seen boats on this lake and there is plenty of room for everyone so swimming near the slipway is not really a problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a lake down in the valley between Aime and Bourg, last week there was plenty of water and lifeguards Bar restaurant etc etc

http://www.la-plagne.com/equipement/1/212671-base-de-loisirs-des-versants-d-aime.html

Its also on the cycle path from Bourg to Aime and beyond Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, There's a good swimming lake in Bozel, maybe not quite in Paradiski but only a 5 minute drive away. Plenty of tennis courts as well as other sports facilities.
Lots of options for walks from there or nearby, some excellent walking in the Vanoise National Park from Champagny le Haut and Pralognan.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowcrazy, interesting to hear that. I was under the impression that it was severely frowned upon, if not outright banned. Live and learn eh?!

@MJB, liked the look of that place - we started a morning cycle from there (to Bourg and back); stopped off on our way home.
Certainly wouldn't have been wanting to white water in the river above it though - looked very low as we travelled alongside it. I know levels in the river depend on dam release upstream, maybe there was more water earlier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For all those interested in what you can do in Les Arcs area, even in just a few days during the summer holidays. Here is my post from the Les Arcs Summer page.

"Time for the photos of the last few days". We have been doing a lot of different stuff in just a few short days. First there was White Water Rafting, then Mountain Biking, followed by Kayaking and Canoe/Kayak Rafts plus the Kayak Slide at the Kayak lake, Via Ferreta, Hiking and the Five Lakes Challenge, Ice Walking and even a little Ice Climbing, a quick look at the Bobsleigh course and a final swim in the play Lake down near Aime (Base Loisirs). All this in just 5 days! I think they will sleep well on the drive home today!

To see the photos you need to go to the Les Arcs Summer facebook page and open the Summer August 2017 Album. If anyone is in any doubt about coming to the Alps for a summer holiday. Just look at the photos. You are sure to find something fun to do when you are here!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowcrazy, You forgot to do some sport climbing. There are some lovely sites around the paradiski area. Some, such as a big site near Longfoy, have lots of routes suitable for beginners.

I have to admire the amount you mangaed to pack in, however. There is always lots to do in the Alps in the summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, i did take the youngsters on the cliffs near Bourg last week (posted the photos already) but real sports climbing leading up multi pitches these days is hard for my shoulder. I would be happy to second you up something not to difficult in good weather. Do get in touch when the ice is good and you fancy doing some routes. Cheers Chris.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

i did take the youngsters on the cliffs near Bourg last week

Was that the the small crag on the road to Comet de Roseland. The last time we were there it was roasting hot and dusty

@snowcrazy, I would love to go ice clibing with you - when the ice is good. I have crampons in Les arcs and a "walking" ice axe. The equipment is really for slopes upto about 45 degrees and glaciers.

Most sport climbs are single pitch of between 20 to 30m. I have just got back from a fortnight in the Dolomites where I spent a few days sports climbing when the forecast didn't look so good (I get scared when thunder storms are forecast for the afternoon). The rest of the time we spent on multi pitch climbs of up to 300m and 9 or 10 pitches. IIRC correctly the hardest was only IV+. My wife or son are my usual seconds, but if you want a session sport climbing next summer I would love to come with you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might anyone be able to give me an idea of how much a taxi from 1600 to Bourg Saint Maurice might cost? BensBus transfers leave from there, so we'll need to get a taxi down before the funiculaire starts in the morning… Thanks!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LeFou, Hi, the normal way to get from Bourg to Arc 1600 is by the funicular which only costs 7 euros one way I think. You need to check the Les Arcs Webpage for the actual cost for next season. The funi runs from 7.30am to 8pm. Later on changeover days. Again full details on webpage. https://en.lesarcs.com/getting-around.html

The taxi cost about 50Euros depending on time of day and who you use. Here are a few links (they might not all work so you need to try each one). Hope that helps.

Arcs Taxis +33 6 62 45 06 88 infos@arcstaxis.com
Aarthur Taxis +33 6 14 18 26 11 aarthur2@orange.fr http://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/ Speaks English.
Snow Taxi +33 6 12 50 24 16 contact@snow-taxi.com
Taxi L'Vie +33 6 47 47 18 86 taxilvie@orange.fr
All Mountain Taxis +33 6 71 14 10 78 allmountainstaxi@gmail.com
Cosi Taxi 00 33 6 33 02 75 17 patricia.pellicier@orange.fr
Jack Celair + 33 6 22 23 76 36 jack_celair@yahoo.fr

@johnE, Yes, it would be fun to meet up for a bit of climbing next summer. Also let's keep in touch when the winter arrives and maybe do some Ice Climbing if conditions this winter are good. It was very warn on the day we were at the rock face as well. You cannot use the bigger face anymore, but the smaller faces are still safe. Ok for the kid's first try. Next time might go to the area up near UCPA in Arc 1600.

Tomorrow is the last day of the summer season. Only one more day of biking. I will post another update after the lifts close on Sunday. Already have some more details about the Les Coches developments for those like me that enjoy going over to the La Plagne side. More to follow shortly. I hope the rain holds off tomorrow!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Next time might go to the area up near UCPA in Arc 1600.

I prefer the Courborton site over the one in Bourg. IMHO it is much better for beginners and because there is never anyone else there you can easily fix up some abseiling as well. I realy rate it for youngsters. Call into the bookshop in Bourg and buy a guide

Yes we must meet up next winter. Hopefully now my wife has completed her cancer treatment we should be out to Les Arcs a lot more next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually it is Courborton I am talking about, it is quite near UCPA. There are loads of sites like this all around the area. Over the years I have been to almost all of them. Hope to meet up next winter. Pleased to hear your wife is OK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Summer season is finally over. The lifts in the Paradiski area are now closed!

The lift developments on the Les Arcs side and over above Les Coches are progressing well. The new building works in the different stations are all on track, but I do wonder where all these people will ski in high season in the future. Expect very busy pistes and lifts queues.

It has been a busy summer visiting all areas of the Paradiski domain, biking in Espace Killy, hiking in various places, climbing, even a little Ice walking and playing on the river in the white water plus other stuff. The Glaciers in Les Arcs and La Plagne are still holding up, but this summer the warm temperatures have done a lot of damage.

To see the many activities possible in the area and follow how the development work has progressed take a look at the photos in the Summer July and August 2017 Albums on the Les Arcs Summer page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/

September has now arrived. It was colder today and even a little fresh snow has arrived high on the mountains. My next posts will be on the Les Arcs Winter page and on the new Snowheads Les Arcs 2017 - 2018 season thread starting very shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Let's all cross our fingers and toes for a good start to the winter season on 16 December 2017! Look forward to meeting many of you again next winter! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the posts @snowcrazy, keep up the good work
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
The lift developments on the Les Arcs side and over above Les Coches are progressing well. The new building works in the different stations are all on track, but I do wonder where all these people will ski in high season in the future. Expect very busy pistes and lifts queues.

If the demand is there...

Otherwise it will mean cheaper accommodation...
snow report
Ok folks. This thread is now done! The new thread for the 2017 - 2018 season is up and running. Please post all future stuff there and let this one slowly move down the pages into the archives. Still some good tips on here from last season so worth keeping for future reference.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy