Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Friday 7 April. Fun in Les Arcs and La Plagne today.

Started off in Arc 1600 and a fast ski across to Vallandry via Arc 1800. Then once all together up the Vallandry chair and down too Piesey. Amazing who you meet on the lifts! Great to see you Mike and family! Hope you had a good ski today!

Once across into Les Coches. Time to play in the spring snow of Crozats before heading up the Roche de Mio and into the Bellecote Bowl.

More untracked snow down the central ridge and finally a fast ski back to the Vanoise Express and over to Les Arcs.

Race time was approaching so straight to Arc 1800, a quick lunch and course inspection. Some great efforts and well done to one young lady that got her Silver Fleche medal. Not easy! Also another youngster qualified for next year's Competition group and even a Two star badge for the youngest member of the group. Good results for everyone! I hope you all have a safe drive home tomorrow. Well done Dad for giving the race a go as well!

Finally over to the Waterslide and then home!

Another fun and varied day comes to an end. Photos from today will follow later in the April Easter Break 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow needs to send me a PM for meet up details, but as it is changeover day we will be heading over the other side for at least the early part of the day!

The pistes are holding up well in the warm temps. If you follow the sun you should have a great day as the snow get's softer. Anyone coming out this weekend will still have plenty of snow as long as you go high in the sun and wait for the lower pistes to soften a little by late morning after the overnight re-freeze .

There are still places to find fresh tracks if you know where to look off piste and the spring snow conditions are nice to ski if you get the timing right. If you want a new experience it is worth taking a guide to see these remote places.

Hope you all enjoy your holidays!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowcrazy, thanks for the updates. Heading up today. Hopefully join up with you at some point over the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saturday 8 April. Changeover day. Time to head over to La Plagne and the Bellecote bowl. On first lift out of Arc 1600. Few people around so down to Arc 2000 bowl and fast ski to Vanoise Express the long way round.

Once over in La Plagne had a nice ski on spring snow back down from the top of the Crozats chair. Back up and all the way to top of Roche de Mio. No queue on the Bellecote gondola so all the way up.

Made the long right hand route back to the chair in mixed snow, but mostly soft and easy to ski. Then all the way down to Bauches chair and a late lunch before our next little route.

Found some more spring snow on the way back to the Vanoise in the forest. Although a little tricky in places.

Finally a fast ski back across Les Arcs to the snowpark. A few jumps by the youngsters then home.

Another nice day in the sun with spring snow! Very nice.

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the April Easter Break 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy.

@jubnut, and anyone else that would like to join us for a ski or just meet up for a beer at the Altiport and have a laugh at the swimmers in the Waterslide send me a PM or be around the waterslide most days around 4.30pm. Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunday 9 April. Change of plan at the last minute today. Was going to do Bellecote, but then heard Villaroger was closing so wanted to do the back of the Aiguille Rouge one last time before you need to hike out even further.

After a few calls we all met up at the Varet and headed up top. Had a nice ski on the Glacier to warm up then back to the top again and into the National Park.

Mixed snow, but typical spring conditions all the way down. Not many tracks as people do not like even the short walk. Made it out and onto the piste back to the chair. Had too walk about 10 minutes, but worth the effort. With the lifts closed this will be at least an hours hike from now on!! or a taxi ride!

Back up Lanchette chair for a second lap and down Par Avalanche which was also still OK. Pity the lifts are now closed. Found a few nice jumps and more spring snow on the second lap.

Then over to Arc 2000 and lunch at the Mushroom before heading for Malgovert and a play in the piste nature on the way back to Arc 1600.

I made a quick detour to the waterslide and then home. Another fun day comes to an end!

The pistes all over Les Arcs today were in good condition in the morning. Firm and fast. In the afternoon they had turned soft, but higher up were still nice to ski. Malgovert was great (keep it a secret!)! Typical spring conditions for this time of year all over the mountain. Getting a bit thin lower down in places, but you can still get to all stations although Villaroger is now CLOSED! Just keep to the main pistes and if it says a piste is closed, be careful it could have run out of snow lower down!

Photos from today coming shortly in the April Easter Break 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page! Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Tomorrow off to Val Thorens for a fast day. Then back in Les Arcs or up to Val d'Isere. Not sure of our plans yet. Depends on the weather. Will post again tomorrow evening.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monday 10 April. Today we went to the Three Valley's to search out some lines I have not done for a while. Tomorrow we will be back in Les Arcs and the Paradiski area. I will post another local report tomorrow evening.

For those that are interested, we started in Val Thorens and had a bit of a surprise when on our first route. It had snowed a little overnight and we had fresh tracks! Amazing! Just goes to show you never know what to expect! Back home now and it is raining outside down in the valley so I am hoping to find fresh powder tomorrow when the clouds clear and the sun comes back out.

Managed 6 routes today. Wanted to do seven, but they shut the Caron Cable Car just as we got there a few minutes early.

We covered a lot of ground today. One route in Val Thorens, one going down to Orelle, three in the Meribel Valley and one in the Courcheval valley. Very mixed snow, but still fun!

I will post all the photos from our time in the Three Valley's this season in the coming days. Take a look at the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing what we have been doing away from Les Arcs.

Tomorrow we will do something in Les Arcs and over on the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express. Send me a PM if you wish to join us.

That's it for today. After an early start today it is early to bed!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a last got out to Les Arcs for the first time thios year. We took a midday flight to Geneva and hired a swiss rental car, so immediately got lost trying to find the motorway. After a quick bit of shopping in Bourg we got to the apartment about 7:30. It was raining when we arrived. The first shock was how busy the place was. Most of the parking spaces in 1600 were full but we found somewhere a couple hundred metres from the front door. It may be busy but the Abrevoir was virtually desterted. I felt sorry for the band with only a few people watching. And they were quite good.

The reason the place was busy but the bar empty became apparent the next morning. Of course it is Easter and school holidays so lots of children.

So onto the pistes. Well amazingly good all day. It seemed that most people were in Arc 2000 where the pistes soften up a bit earlier, but when we came back to the 1600/1800 side about 12:00 the pistes had just strted to soften - the runs down to 1800, golf, vagere etc were really really nice with a couple cm of soft snow on a firm base and for some reason not a soul on them. Bliss

The bottom couple hunded metres down to 1600 were a bit of a mess but I escaped without walking. I image it will be no better tomorrow, but it was good enougth today.

Since I plan to do a couple days in Tignes I decided to only buy a 3 day lift pass. The nice lady in the lift pass office told us it was actually cheeper to buy a one day plus another 2 day pass than a 3 day pass. It appears the 3 day pass automatically includes a day in La Plagne for which they charge more. We paid the extra and will see what La Plagne is like tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuesday 11 April. More spring snow, but also a bit of jungle to get through at the bottom. However the pistes are in good condition higher on the mountains and lower down you can still get to most stations although Villaroger is now closed.

As the off piste routes down into the National Park behind the Aiguille Rouge are now only possible with a long hike out. We headed for the Bellecote bowl and this time the Friolin Bowl route.

Once on the Bellecote bowl it was time to find a few jumps and search out more soft spring sugar snow. However, anyone thinking of skiing the piste natures area on the Bellecote beware of the entrance. This is not a good place to slip.

After a careful ski down the steeper section we found some better spring sugar snow on the way to the Friolin bowl. Once in the bowl more good snow and plenty of jumps. A nice picnic in the sun and then through the meadows to the forest. Now time for a hike across some unskiable sections.

Finally onto the summer path and skis on for the last section down to the river and out to the Bauches Chair.

Back over to Les Arcs and more fast piste skiing to the Waterslide. Then over to Malgovert for more jumps and home.

The conditions right now are very mixed. Typical of this time of year. Hard and firm in the morning. Soft and becoming slushy as the day progresses. Despite the thin snow as you come into the lower stations. There is still fun skiing to be had and even fresh spring powder on a firm base higher on the mountains. Just use the sun to help guide your day.

Photos from today will be posted shortly.

Anyone wanting to join us for a tour of the Subli Cimes of La Plagne tomorrow, send me a PM before 9am.

Should be a fun day with more waterslides, gullies and other activities to enjoy! Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 12-04-17 21:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the benefit of anyone else planning a day over in La Plagne for the Subli Cimes activities. Here is what we did today.

Wednesday 12 April. It was time too sample the Subli Cimes in La Plagne today. Plus a little fun gully skiing.

Headed out from Arc 1600 on first lift. Met up with others and over to the La Plagne side. Down from the top of the La Plagne Arpette ridge on the kids fun run. They enjoyed this, but very busy.

Then across to Plagne Centre via a few gullies to the top of Le Becoin. A rather strange juice drink was being given out, it was YUK! an even more strange Burlesque dress up for the girls and beauty treatment, shaving and tattoo! At least the kids liked the tattoo parlor bit!

Back to the top of the Grand Rochette. The Viking Camp was a little better. The kids, even the big ones made themselves Viking axes. The animals were nice, but they could not pet them. The camp tent was interesting and smelled from the fire.

Next a ski down the animal run and Indian gully into Plagne Centre then over to Belle Plagne and up top of Roche de Mio. Always fun, but rather worn at the entrance. However all made it down safely, even Mum!

The Roche was more interesting. First lunch which was slow at the self service, but nice. Then on the Wipe Out area, and one person managed a turn on the Sledge rubber ring slide. But the queue was so big others did not bother.

Down from the Roche through the Tunnel to Bellecote La Plagne. Always a fun fast ski. Then back up to the Arpette ridge. Very disappointed. The much advertised Spa area could not cope with the number of people so it stopped taking any more people at 3pm. Very disappointing for the kids, the girls had even brought swim suits.

Finally a fast ski over to the waterfall gully and all the way down through the Les Coches forest on really nice spring snow and back to the Vanoise.

Another fast ski back to the Arc 1600 Waterslide at the Altiport. More success, but also a few wet people today! Yuk!

Then time to head home as it was nearly 6pm.

Overall it is a pity to say that based on today's experience the Subli Cimes event in La Plagne is a nice idea, but they cannot cope with the numbers at the free activities and it was all a bit of a disappointment for the kids. If they do this again it needs to be better staffed and more interesting events at each meeting point. They really need to think about how they can cope with the numbers.

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the April Easter Break 2017 Album. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Tomorrow I am off to Val d'Isere so will post about Les Arcs again on Friday. Enjoy the sun while it lasts. Bad weather is on the way again shortly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone recommend a cafe for lunch in or around 2000 or 1950 on the slopes . I Would like to take the kids somewhere cheap and cheerful for paninis, crepes something like that. We're in an apartment and self catering but went to Hemingways last night which was great for the kids.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a nice bakers in 1950. L'arc Dore.

Opposite the 8 a Huit at the bottom of cabriolet lift.

You can sit outside, but it's in the shade.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gillap, you could try the Bulle , up by the Arcabulle lift. Can get to it from Marmottes. Or as suggested above the bakery in 1950 is great.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Outdoor tables at the creperie in the Savoy building on Place Olympique in 2000 is cheaper than the one in 1950 for crepes and waffles.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
@Higs, how are you getting to the lifts? If you are driving it may be better going around to Pre St Espirit instead of starting at 1600 the livecam at the Combettes lift looks a bit grim.

I have never skied from Courbaton only walked through it in the summer. It looks very spread out to me. Please let us know when you get back what you think of the place.

Apologies - I should have updated while we were there but my laptop died and I can't do big updates by phone.
The first thing to say is we didn't end up staying in Courbaton. We stayed in Les Granges (1230m). We went with SkiAdventures who have two chalets - one in each. Based on the snow conditions our booking was moved down to Les Grange. Although much further from the snow, this was the right thing to do as that chalet is 3mins walk from the funicular whereas the Courbaton one (when there's no snow below) 1600 is a 15min walk to Arcs1600.

We really enjoyed our skiing from Sat through to Weds lunchtime (4pm transfer Laughing ) . It was very definitely spring conditions. The piste that runs behind the chalet at Les Granges was a beautiful green field with apple and pear trees in full blossom. We started pretty much every day going up the Mont Blanc lift from 1600, then down to the Arpette lift to go over to the 1950/2000 area. Pretty much all the snow there (on or between the pistes) was well-used but skied very well. It's stating the obvious at this time of year to say that the best stuff was higher up. We enjoyed the Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col. Some of the red above 1800 were pretty nice too. We didn't really venture much further (lower) that the mid-station of the Trans-Arc though apart from our day in La Plagne.

La Plagne was a good day out. Our plan was always to stay highish again but we didn't head straight to Bellecote. We went up the Roche de Mio a couple of times and different ways back to Belle Plagne before heading up the glacier then working our way home.

We thought La Plagne was managing their snow a bit better but we shared a transfer back with a father and daughter who'd been in La Plagne and thought their day in Les Arcs was better. We concluded that each of us had seen re-frozen scratchy stuff in our 'home' area, then the best of the other area, then made our way home in slush in the 'home area again. So probably honours even?

This is the first time we've been to either Les Arcs or La Plagne and we saw enough to make sure well go back.

It wasn't great skiing all day long every day but we got the best of both worlds - plenty of good skiing in the day then lovely hot Alpine spring afterwards.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gillap, +1 for the Bulle off the Arcabulle blue - we had a late lunch there today. Pizza for 4 (2 full pizzas) and a grand bierre for yours truly was 33Euro. That was plenty of pizza for Mum, Dad, 11 and 8 year old. You can get 1/4 or half a pizza. Half a Margeurita was 5 euro.

We have had hot dogs at the takeaway window next to the Schuss bar for 5euro, in the Place Olympic. But the croque monsieur was 8.50! Further on from there, the Bois de L'Ours also does cheaper eats, double hot dog with cheese for 6 euro. Burgers for 10Euro. Pre-made wafflles and nuttella 3.50.

For a larger lunch, we have enjoyed the meals in Le Savoy. Salads are huge for 16euros. They do a kids meal for 10Euro. Pasta or Steak Hache (we turned this into a burger for our son with the large chunk of bread they brought to the table with the table water) and fries and a tub of ice cream or chocolate mousse for pudding.

There are a couple of other little huts dotted around. I haven't been there yet this trip to give you 'this years' view, but they have generally been quite good for a snack. There is one located just off the Marmottes lift, turn right at the top and ski 200m down, you can't miss it (and can see all the chairs lined up outside from the lift)

We are in 2000 at the moment, sun is out, it's been a glorious day. I think the snow is great, as long as you hit the pistes at the right time of the day. And the soft snow makes attempts at jumps in the snow park somewhat more forgiving. That said, i haven't been below the bottom of the Arpette lift since Tuesday....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It has been so hot the last couple of days that we have fininshed about 3pm. Even at that temperature the snow has been very heavy and hard work. The only way I could cope on the long flat staright sections was to clamp the skis together and let them float like a monoski (yes I still have one in the cave). Overall the skiing has been good above about 2000m. Unlike @Higs, we found the best skiing on the 1800 side with less crowds and staying fimrer longer. I suppose being the school holidays it has bought out more people - there are certainly a lot of children around.

Last night we had the evening meal at the Arpette. If ever you come to Les Arcs this is one of the things you must do. It starts in the late afternoon with a disco until 18:00. Since it was hot yesterday some people were even dancing topless. The pistuers then escort those not staying for the meal down. Dinner starts about 7 with a glass of vin chaud and a salad. For the main course we had pirade which came with a small bottle of wine. Some people even dance afterwards. Other drinks of course can be purchased from the bar. I saw several 3 litre bottles of pink wine being consumed. The drinks are abput average prices - 5 euro for a large Peroni. The whole meal costs 30 euros and you must book in advance. We got the last 2 places yesterday. It is only on a Wednesday.

At 9 you are allowed to ski back to the resort. It was amusing yesterday in that there were about 100 students waiting to be relaeased but they had to wait behind barriers until exactly 9 when the piste bashers stand aside and allow a safe descent. I would advise not drinking too much since I beleive some quite serious accidents have occurred during the descent.

Last night there were only a few of us returning to 1600. We were under a just darkening ski with a few stars visible and crisping up corduroy all the way down. I had to stop a few times just to admire the view down the valley. It was lovely. Some people use head torches but I prefer to rely on the natural light and enjoy the stars. A pisteur follows at a respecatble distantance so as not to blind you with snowmobile head light and to ensure everyone gets down safely.

It is actually nice to see the resort with only a bit longer than a week of the season to go looking so busy. We even encountered a couple lift queues. However, I think it is a shame that some resaurants have closed up already. At the moment there is about 100m of walking at the bottom of the piste in Arc1600 I expect that increase dramatically over the next week. We will see how we get on.
ski holidays
Mini Roll roll has been a bit off colour these past couple of days so not been out. Real shame, as the pistes, as above, have been hard work but excellent fun. ( and you know what they say about good days, bad days, mountains and offices...).

Nevertheless, worth mentioning that it is not all perfect.

The Cachet lift in 1600 is closing Friday, but the Mont Blanc is more than adequate. Vagere needs your skis off to get to. Seen people preferrring to grass ski to Carrely rather than use the strip of mush. We've skied mainly the 1800 side late mornings, but not below Arpette if possible. And even that is a quagmire by lunchtime. Then gone back to 2000 for the pm. The blacks under Varet today were simply wonderful this pm: Lanches, and Dou d l'homme ( twice) just excellent snow conditions. If a little busy - yes,there were so many people on the mogul runs, you had to look up hill before restarting each time!

So our view is: it's been great, really, really great, but don't expect cordoroy or powder. Just enjoy the exercise and the sun.

Our last day tomorrow so will make the best of it: then back for VTT / MTB in about 15 weeks... it's all go!
latest report
Duplicate post.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-04-17 7:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, somewhat good to hear that my assumption of not going below the Arpette chair was justified! TBH, my family and I are having a cracking time. It was a delight to see my two eldest practising parrell carving turns on the slopes this afternoon whilst we made our way around, and number 3 child was delighted / proud today to go on a chair lift for the first time in lessons this morning. Sun is out, there's snow. Nothing to complain about here.
snow conditions
We went up to Tignes this morning and I have to confess the snow was a lot better than Les Arcs. The only problem was we got a pucture in the car. The people in Roady in Bourg were excellent and reparied it in 30 minutes while we went for a stroll. I must admit it it was a pleasant change from the surly youths you get in the UK - all smiles, spoke good English, and didn't try to sell me somethng I didn't want. The cost - 20 euros.

@Arctic Roll, I had courduroy Wednesday evening and beautiful sping snow today. We do lead a hard life, skiing, VTT, rock climbing, Via Ferrata. Sorry to hear about the Cachette lift closing it will be a bit of a hike in the morning. Well no, an even better argument for taking the Combettes lift up and skiing across.
ski holidays
@johnE, think you'll fine Combettes closed too... wink Also Combociere.

BTW rumour has it that with Pre St Esprit upgrading this year, and another 300 odd beds going in just below 1950, they plan to upgrade Combociere for the 18/19 season.
snow report
Last day for us, and off home tomorrow (sunday). This week has merely re-inforced, for me at least, that late season skiing is great and a good option for families. The lifts are closing around us (compared to last year same time when there was a fall of 8" or so mid-week). But it's been great - soft forgiving snow for the kids to tumble on and build skills, warm and pleasant for the 4 year old. Fun in the snow park and at the airbag/waterslide (the kids loved this!)

We are most disappointed thou, that we have not seen a marmotte on the ever increasing patches of grass and scrub!
snow report
Saturday 15 April. Been another very busy few days.

YESTERDAY we had a quick change of plans and ended up doing the Petit North Face of the Bellecote. Slightly hard packed snow at the start. Then softer snow in the middle section and spring snow lower down before a walk out from the meadows to the bus stop. With three members of the group making their first trip down the route it was a challenging day for some, but still really fun. Even the walk out added to the adventure. What a great way to finish their holiday!

After a picnic at the bottom it was over to the waterslide in Arc 1600 to meet up with the youngsters after ski school and play in the water under blue skies again! Yes, we had a few swimmers, but also some excellent fun! Nice costumes boys!

TODAY the weather had started to change. Slightly colder in the morning and a few clouds. As it was changeover day we headed for La Plagne via the Arc 2000 bowl and a fast ski down to Peisey including the Speed Test course where one of the Mum's proved that the youngsters still have a few things to learn about going fast! Well done 52.95Km!

Over in La Plagne we started with the kids fun park down from the top of the Arpette chair which is now closed. Then up top of Roche de Mio and down the start of Brown Trouser Ridge and off piste all the way to the Borselliers chair in the gully. Had a short walk out at the bottom, but still worth the effort. Then lunch at the restaurant before heading over to the Snowpark above Belle Plagne. Finally back towards Les Coches and down the Waterfall gully to the Vanoise Express. Still good spring snow at the start and enough lower down that we only had to walk a short distance to get back to the piste at the bottom.

Back over to Les Arcs and another visit to the Snowpark above Arc 1600 followed by the waterslide and big air bag! Well done one lad on making it across the waterslide for the first time without falling in!

Finally as the lifts were closing it was time to head for home. The Cachette chair is now closed for the season as are a number of other lifts and pistes around Les Arcs and La Plagne. I will update what still remains open this week in my report tomorrow.

It has been fun skiing with those that left today during the past week and hope to see you next season.

Photos from the last few days will follow later! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Tomorrow we will ski around Les Arcs and see what things we can do if the weather does not become too wet! Bad weather is forecast, but right now it still seems OK outside!

Anyone arriving this weekend that wants to join us for a ski, please send me a PM for meet up details.

Hope you all have a good holiday and enjoy the last week of the season!
snow report
an don't forget the lift pass is heavily reduced in price now for the final week.
snow report
The snow above about 2000m is pretty good. but getting poor below it. In fact we had to walk the last few m to both the Vagerre and Mont Blanc lifts. Thinking about I have known many Christmas with much worse snow than we have now.

They are bolting the bike carriers onto the cachette lift and I saw the local mountain bike club heading down from the funicular. The seasons are definately changing.
ski holidays
Sunday 16 April. Another fun day in Les Arcs. Despite the overcast weather we did manage to get above the clouds in the morning at the top of the Aiguille Rouge.

Managed to have a play above the clouds on the face of the glacier and then down the black piste before heading to the Droset chair which will be closing tomorrow. Finally down into Arc 2000.

Back up top of the Aiguille Rouge again and over into the off piste down to the Droset chair by an interesting route and some nice spring snow.

After a nice lunch it was time for one more trip up the Aiguille Rouge. This time the mist had closed in and some found the poor light quite difficult.

However the pistes up high are in great condition and we made it down to the black piste again without to many difficulties.

Then off piste to the bottom of the Droset chair by another route. Even more interesting!

Finally a fast ski to the Bois chair and over to the snowpark. After a little play it was down to Arc 1600 and home.

The piste conditions in Les Arcs are typical of spring conditions. Hard and frozen early in the day, becoming softer and even slushy by later in the afternoon.

The Off Piste is similar with pleasant spring snow during the middle of the day and even into the afternoon in the more sheltered areas.

The Droset lift will close tomorrow. The lifts at the bottom of the Arc 2000 area are already closed. The remaining lifts in Arc 2000 are still open. Villaroger area is closed. Some pistes going down to Arc 1600 are now closed as is the Cachette Chair. In Arc 1800 some pistes are also closed as are some in the Peisey Vallandry area.

Best advice is check with pisteurs before going down to any lower lifts as they may be closing shortly if current snow conditions continue.

I have also been told that the Vanoise Express will only remain open to none skiers or those willing to walk to the Les Coches Gondola after tomorrow as snow conditions in Les Coches are very poor. I will confirm this tomorrow.

Despite the many closures, skiing up high is good with plenty of spring snow and even some challenging off piste if you do not mind walking a little at the bottom.

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the April Easter Break 2017 Album. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

For anyone out this week, you should be OK and enough areas will remain open until next weekend when the ski area closes.

Hope you all had a pleasant Easter Day. Enjoy the last week of the season!
snow report
Well I am home now after a fantastic few days in Les Arcs.

The snow conditions high up were pretty good. Yesterday we did the Arandelieres piste which was much better than usual. Instead of the usual stone covered start it was full snow cover without a stone in sight. And not too busy. This was also the first time I have every got straight onto the Arcabulle chairlift. Normally I try to avoid this lift as it usually has a 5 to 10 minute queue, one of the worst in the resort. I wonder how we used to cope when it was only a pair of drag lifts to the Col du Chal? I cannot remember the queues being that long. Apart from the heavy knee wrenching snow low down and late in the day the conditions this week were IMHO better than most Christmas/New Year weeks.

Ar some time last week we skied down the Cascades piste to Pre st Espirit. The conditions were very poor and I suspect the run was closed a day or two later. If the rumours reported by @Arctic Roll are true we may have been one of the last people ever to travel on the old Pre st Espirit lift.
latest report
Wednesday 19 April. Been another busy few days. Monday was the last day for the youngster's before heading back to the UK for School. For the rest of us we still have time for a few more routes before the lifts close.

On Monday for their last day we went on a long off piste run and picnic. Heading off from Les Arcs 1600 it was over to Les Coches and up to the top of the Bellecote bowl. Then down the steep slope to the edge of the North Face of the Bellecote. A difficult challenge, but they made it down without any problems.

Good for the youngster's to see what is possible in the future.

Then through the bowl and a few jumps before stopping for a picnic on the way to the valley. It was snow cave building time followed quickly with dad's revenge for all the snow down his back! He caught them by surprise, really funny!

Skis back on again and a fast run back to the lifts and then into the waterfall gully above Les Coches. More good spring snow to the bottom and back to the Vanoise Express after a little hike before heading across Les Arcs as the weather closed in and became cold so no waterslide today.

One last hot chocolate at the Altiport then home. The clouds had closed in and we could already tell tomorrow might not be the sunny day we were hoping for.

Tuesday as predicted was high winds, poor vis and non of the high lifts open. Time for an admin day. Some still went up, but came down quite early with reports of closed lifts and very cold conditions. Winter is back!

TODAY! A small group of us headed up to see if we could get high. Gusts of up to 40Kmh were predicted, but I cannot have two days off!

After a fast ski across hard wind blown pistes we reached the top of the Bellecote and headed up to the Canadian Couloir. Despite the high winds of the day before it was still possible to have a safe ski down from the top.

Some of us went straight down whilst other went around to the lower entrance. Very mixed conditions the whole way down. Hard firm snow with a light dusting on top made for careful turns, but still fun and challenging. Lower down it was refrozen crud and only slightly melting in places. It was sunny, but cold today.

In the bottom section we had spring slush again and a tight slalom down the river bed to the meadows from where you need to walk out.

An interesting trip down and although some of the group were not so impressed I thought it was still worth the effort.

The pistes everywhere today were firm and icy where they had been exposed to the wind and refrozen. Later in the day the pistes were softer lower down, but high up they were still firm everywhere we skied.

The winter has returned. More snow and rain is forecast with colder temperatures and sun thrown in the mix. Should be an interesting end to the season. All across the Paradiski area above 2000m there is still plenty of snow which will last long after the lifts close next weekend. Below this level snow is thin and they are doing a great job of keeping the lower runs into the stations open for the last few days of the season.

Photos from the last few days will follow shortly. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Tomorrow might be a piste day, then a trip to Tignes before a final day in Les Arcs and La Plagne. The season is nearly over, but the snow has lasted and there is still fun t be had. You can always do the waterslide on the way home as we did again today! Very Happy
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, I'm intrigued. I get your passion for the off-piste accessed from the Bellecote - but frankly I find the bowl itself to be a bit of Emperor's New Clothes. All mouth, no trousers.

From a Les Arcs perspective, it's a long way to go (timewise) , the lift system is downright shoddy, museum worthy in fact, and the snow no better than stuff we have significantly closer to home, indeed all over the domain.
In fact I'd call it a tick-box set: punters gotta say they've done the 'Bellecote' .

But as a local, why your continued fascination?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, interesting comment. The Bellecote Bowl as I like to call it is an amazing place to take the youngsters to train for Off Piste in a safe environment. As well as the two normal piste nature routes there are many other places to go which offer everything you need to train for extreme skiing, but more safely. It most certainly is not just a place to go for ticking the box as you put it. To me doing the Bellecote is going down the North Face as we did today! Most people need to take a guide to do that!

I agree you can do the same kind of training off the Varet or Malgovert in Les Arcs, but these and other areas in Les Arcs get skied out much more quickly. I think you will agree I know every spot worth using all across the Paradiski area for this kind of training.

If you want to see what the 'Bowl' really has to offer you are welcome to come along with your youngster when you are out next season. Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, thanks - we'll certainly try to make it. As you say, it is the off piste which offers the opportunities - but without a guide or local knowledge (and yes, in the past you've taken us to some great unknowns, that's is without question) I would hesitate to explore. In fact... I wouldn't.

But the pistes? meh. snowHead
ski holidays
Google translation of a report from a friend who attended the resort's update meeting a few days ago. Major developments starting this summer seem to be a large new Club Med complex at Arc 1600 alongside the Mont Blanc piste (for completion Dec 2018) and the replacement of the Pre St Esprit lift (hooray!)

Quote:
Summer project: "a new look at the valley of the Arc" (Pré Saint-Esprit and Comborcières)

- Expand track (blue) + 40%, suitable for beginners
- Artificial Snow System
- Pré Saint-Esprit: detachable chairlift, with station for the seats (faster restart after a stormy night). 6 seats, duration / 2, flow * 2. € 12 million. Heated seats, bubbles, arrival directly above Plagnettes (which is underutilized)
- Reception room downstairs (toilets, drinks)
- The following year, Comborcière: made necessary by the arrival of the Club Med of 1600. 2 times faster, 4 places disengageable. Station of departure near that of the Pre Saint-Spirit.

Club Méditerranée at 1600: 1050 beds, delivery dec 2018, € 100 million. Open in the summer. Down the Mont Blanc trail. Village of 40600 m2. Very important operation for Les Arcs (which has few hotels). 80% filling: boosts the station. The site starts next week, as soon as the station closes. "First stone" in the fall.

Bus station at Charvet: "Terminus Le Charvet": Luggage storage, toilets, waiting room. Showers to ski without accommodation especially on Saturday. 1M €.

The Ridge, in place of the Hotel Beguin at Arc 1600. 51 homes 4 * tourist residence, December 2018

Further expansion of the free wifi in Arc 1800 and Arc 1600 villages

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-04-17 9:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Artist's impression of new Club Med development.
snow conditions

snow conditions
@rob@rar, Thanks, Pre Saint from present spot all the way up to Plagnettes, long lift? However it would be good to get a fast lift there as on a board it is a brilliant run the whole way from Transarc to the bottom but not for the 15 mins of sheer hell to get back up.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@rob@rar, Thanks, Pre Saint from present spot all the way up to Plagnettes, long lift?
I did have to think about that one, but it does make sense. One of the biggest bottlenecks in Arc 2000 is the Arcabulle chair, and the new high capacity Pre St Esprit would make that worse if they kept the top station in the same place. Moving the top station to the level of Plagnettes will mean you can bypass Arcabulle if you want to get to Col de Chal (for links to Arc 1600/1800/Peisey/La Plagne), minimising traffic joining the Arcabulle queue. It does make make it a long lift, but probably a much shorter journey time than the current version, which is no doubt powered by geriatric hamsters.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
....................than the current version, which is no doubt powered by geriatric hamsters.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
I can't see them running Pre all the way up to access Plagnettes but maybe that's just me not picturing the possibility correctly.

Upgrading Comborciere would offer to an incentive to link over that way.

I do like the skiing down there so any improvements would be very welcome!
snow report
@thefatcontroller, @rob@rar, @Layne, supposed to be a 7 minutes transit time for the new lift, and 6-8 m closer to the 1950 village as it passes through. And yes, with access to Plagnettes.

I'm thinking it has a number of purposes:
1) to accommodate the new build just below 1950 (about 300 beds for both apartments and seasonnaire accommodation - was going to be hosted chalets, but VIP, the owner TO, has reconsidered in light of Brexit) - which may or may not be able to access Marmottes / Bois de L'Ours directly.

2) enable the council to develop the PsE car park as a defined (and hence chargeable!) access point to the domain

3) as you say, to relive the immediate pressure on Arcabulle - although whether Plagnettes will be able to cope is another matter!

Like Layne, we've also been considering where the terminus will be: if to skiers' right of current Plagnettes lift , hope that there will be some thought to those having to cross the conjunction of Teppes, Tuffes and Plagnettes pistes ( which is always a bit of a race track in preparation for the flattish bit down to Arcabulle) to reach the next uplift. But I'm sure it's been designed with this in mind...

I think we are very likely to use it from 1950 - the route down is a great warm up before '1st lift' rather than having to do a Marmottes circulation: but never considered while it takes 15 mins to get back to, well, nowhere!

Tree felling is supposed to begin in May. Will report back with photos from summer visit.

The addition of 1000+ beds to the domain is not without its issues - there still appears to be no increase in available pistes: and with high speed lifts, fewer people standing in queues, that inevitably means higher density per piste, with concomitant problems. They may say that Cascades (or as it appears to be now called "Valley de l'Arc 1") and Mont Blanc pistes are under-utilised, but I'm not convinced that without expanding to, say the back of Col de la Chal (and yes, all that that entails with infrastructure investment) that we can take much more at peak times.

He says selfishly, having been a 'new bed' back in 2003!
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
... the back of Col de la Chal (and yes, all that that entails with infrastructure investment) ...
Wouldn't that stray in to the national park? Some lovely terrain down there, but I think development wouldn't be allowed?
ski holidays
Oh joy. We can talk lift routes and avoid work. I'm in Laughing Laughing

Feasible for Pre to come the other side of Arc 1950 and straight up over the top of Bois rather than to the left of 1950 (as you go up?)

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy