Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Used Spirit about 6 or 7 times, never had a problem. Get to the meeting points a bit early as it's fairly chaotic in the mornings and you'll be fine. Boot rooms can be just as stressful with all the parents and kids getting ready at once, so I'd do that half an hour early too...then have a coffee outside.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Frank Spencer, Excellent, thank you. Did you find they pushed you hard enough? I'm the type that needs more stick than carrot! Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Langers Utd wrote:
@Frank Spencer, Excellent, thank you. Did you find they pushed you hard enough? I'm the type that needs more stick than carrot! Happy

Be careful what you wish for with any instructor. They have a choice of doing 'pizza's with a beginner or someone telling them would like to be pushed and have some fun, you will be pushed and have fun. Have used Spirit good few times (very good crowd) and have asked to be pushed, wife nearly killed me for where he took us. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, Yes, point taken! Maybe a 'gentle shove' rather than a push is the order of the day. Thanks again for the advice and wise words. 😀
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I felt the kids were in a group too weak (or strong) for them, I never had a problem moving them up or down. At busy times, each ability level will have three different levels within each overall level (does that make sense?), and kids quite often swap about after the first day or two, some to get better, others to stay with siblings/mates.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langers Utd, look out for "mad" Valerie... she'll push you waaay out of your comfort zone, and then some. You'll think you can keep up... but you can't. (basically wot thefatcontroller said)

Generally a really great bunch of guys and gals though, with many returning year after year. We usually arrange a couple of private lessons each, just to keep in the mix, have done for 12 years (including nowadays my 14 yo, who learned from age 3 with them) Can't fault it.

Or as Rob@rar says, JP at AIM is also good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another endorsement for Spirit, which were excellent when the kids used them a few years ago.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Frank Spencer, @Arctic Roll, @Old Fartbag, Thank you all for the help and insight Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langers Utd, We used Spirit last easter, my wife and I plus our two boys age 8 & 5. The kids had never skied before, my wife and I have but had had a break due to the boys. The kids did lessons twice a day and were looked after well, the main problem we had was that we all had lessons starting and finishing at the same time so we had to drop kids off and run to the meeting point for the adult lessons. At the end of the lessons there was a bit of stress due to finishing at the same time. One day we were at the pick up point at exactly 12.00, collection time, and the kids were not there, we waited they didn't turn up, got worried went to Spirit office and there were the kids waiting for us. They said we were late, we weren't, they finished early. Anyway at least they were safe.

The kids progressed really well particularly the eldest.

As for the adult lessons, on the first day they took all three groups levels 1, 2 and 3 up to the slopes and made everyone ski down a short steep section and put them into the groups the instructors thought they should be in rather than where they had booked. My wife and I had booked level 2, she was put in 2 and I was moved up to 3 but but we wanted to be together so I stayed in 2. They are flexible and won't force anyone to do something they don't want to do unless it is someone who should be in level 1 wants to be in 3. More people were moved after the first days lesson mostly down.

Our instructor was called Paul he was around 65 and had skied for ever, he was a man of few words but just wanted us to do exactly what he did. I enjoyed the lessons and definitely progressed by the end of the week I skied the Aguile Rouge, there was no way I could have done that without the lessons. Next year though I'm sticking in Level 3.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CH1975, Thank you, that's really helpful feedback and good point about the kids finishing the same time as us. I will make sure I tell them to wait in the Spirit office, if they finish early. Thanks again.

Ps Did you ski Aguile Rouge in a level 2 group? Despite the name, I thought it was a black run, or am I wrong?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langers Utd, Yes we skied the Aguile Rouge (means Red Needle I think) on the last day of group 2, it was a mixture of black and red runs. Top to bottom it was awesome and I didn't wipe out which made me happy.

We were there last Easter too, 26 March - 2 April, as you said conditions were good but things did get a bit slushy in the afternoon later in the week. We are going again in Feb half term, yes I know it will be busy but due to work & school we have no choice. We're going to drive this time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be careful when telling the kids to wait for you at Spirit's office...it's next to the waffle shop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing like seeing a bit of October snow..Arc 1950 today

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, Fab to see, thanks for posting. Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CH1975, Thank you.
ski holidays
And as you look at this pic the ski school (and waffle shop) are bottom right just out of shot.
latest report
I have just had an email from our letting agents, CIS Immobilier saying that bookings for the Christmas/New year period are very low and that they are planning to go allow bookings of almost any duration starting Friday, Saturday or Monday.

How are booking for the other parts of Les Arcs looking? Perhaps it will not be the usual New Year Mayhem this year.
ski holidays
@johnE, I've not got a booking for our apartment for New Year week, for the first time in 10 years. I think the transfer days on Christmas Eve/New Year's Eve or Christmas Day/New Year's Day is causing problems, plus the relatively poor start to the snow in the last three years. Also, for families with school age children most schools will be returning on 3rd of 4th January, so the New Year week might not be an option this year. I'm offering 8 nights of the price of 7 in my place, with the arrival day on the 30th December for the New Year week, but only had a couple of tentative enquiries.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, £ heading to parity isn't going to help this year.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, nope Sad
latest report
Since almost all my bookings are to French renters I doubt is the euro/pound exchange rate is going to make any difference to the income or the expenses. I get an impression that UK skiers are much less likely to make independent arrangements than French ones.
latest report
@Frank Spencer, Excellent.... a waffle shop sounds dangerous! Happy
snow report
I have a week in 1600 during January. Can anybody recommend a guide for off piste excursions?! Puzzled
snow report
@HTL, You will have to go to Arc1800 for a guide. I have had good guides from Arc Adventures and bureaux des guides
ski holidays
@johnE, The Euro has fallen against the dollar though and is looking weak (it is just that Sterling has dropped further), so it might be that the French, on the back of the Brexit vote, are generally twitchy also. Good luck with the bookings, I hope things pick up.
ski holidays
Hi all, presumably the Les Arcs pass ends at the Vanoise Express or am I mistaken.
ski holidays
@BillyJohnn, Yes, though this year there are only 2 passes, Decouvert and Paradski? I might be wrong but even a Les Arcs only includes one day in La Plagne this year (though why would want to go experience their icy slopes and slow lifts rolling eyes Toofy Grin )
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
@BillyJohnn, Yes, though this year there are only 2 passes, Decouvert and Paradski? I might be wrong but even a Les Arcs only includes one day in La Plagne this year (though why would want to go experience their icy slopes and slow lifts rolling eyes Toofy Grin )

It clearly states on the La Plagne website that you get a day included.
http://winter.la-plagne.com/ski/prices/prices-for-skiing.html

I don't see a similar statement on the Les Arcs website.
http://en.lesarcs.com/ski/skipasses/les-arcs-peisey-vallandry.html#c3233

So it's unclear if Les Arcs are matching the La Plagne deal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all!!! Very Happy

Me and a group of friends are heading to Les Arc 1800 on the 4th of March. We have abandoned the relative comfort of a package holiday and booked to go via the eurostar. I was wondering if I could draw on this forums collective wisdom and ask a few questions ?

1). Are their any lockers or changing facilities in Arc 1800 so we can ski on both the Saturdays ?
2). This will be our fourth year skiing after a year in Bansko and two in Les Deux; we developed a taste for the "natur" runs on our last trip.... Are there any recommended routes?
3). Is a day trip to La Plagne worth it ? the runs on the piste map around Bellecote look pretty awesome

Thanks a million, Andrew

tldr; finding excuses to talk about skiing to anyone who will listen Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Dead excited to have just booked my Paradiski pass Very Happy . Marking my retirement from university with a season in the alps. One thing that was a bit of an issue was the ADS system would not take my RBS MasterCard, but thankfully I was able to pay with my Visa debit card. Apparently the only way to buy these passes is on line but the French system appears to not like credit cards associated with British Banks rolling eyes Forty-four days to retirement Cool
snow report
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
Dead excited to have just booked my Paradiski pass Very Happy . Marking my retirement from university with a season in the alps. One thing that was a bit of an issue was the ADS system would not take my RBS MasterCard, but thankfully I was able to pay with my Visa debit card. Apparently the only way to buy these passes is on line but the French system appears to not like credit cards associated with British Banks rolling eyes Forty-four days to retirement Cool

You're not welcome here.

Toofy Grin Skullie Laughing
ski holidays
Just booked a sneaky week without the wife to 1800 4-11th of feb.
Looking at an apartment in the aiguille grive 2.
Sound like a good spot for getting on the slopes with just a little ski down to the transarc. But just wondering about at the end of the day? Going with another friend who as also managed to run away from the wife and we are both into skiing first lift to last with a couple of beers apres then an early night ready for the next day.
Will it be possible for us to use the chantel lift ( can anyone confirm that this is open later to enable people to get back as the last time i went there i stayed in the alpage du chantel and there was no lift just alot of steps cut in the snow.......)and then ski back across to the Aiguille Grive?
Unfortunately my mate is on a board is this possible. I cant really see from the piste map and am trying to remember a trip to 1800 about 13 years ago...
Looks like there is a run called Chantel - Jardin Aplin on google maps

edit, Just looked at last years thread and it looks like the lift i was thinking of was the dahu?
latest report
Aiguille Grive 2 is not the best for accessing the slopes in the morning, as its at the base of the horse shoe which makes up the Aiguille Grive blocks and it's rather a steep walk up to the lift just above which is the Charmettoger. Through either block 1 or 3 you can walk straight out onto this level, but unless you have a fob for them you won't be able to get in. with regards getting back in the evening the old Chantel lift has now been removed and replaced with a gondola type lift to service the new Mille 8 area, this unloads slightly lower down and a bit further to the right (as you look up the slope) than the old Chantel, the lift runs through till about half 8 in the evening and it is fairly easy to scoot across from there to get to the Aiguille Grive complex.
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
Aiguille Grive 2 is not the best for accessing the slopes in the morning, as its at the base of the horse shoe which makes up the Aiguille Grive blocks and it's rather a steep walk up to the lift just above which is the Charmettoger. Through either block 1 or 3 you can walk straight out onto this level, but unless you have a fob for them you won't be able to get in. with regards getting back in the evening the old Chantel lift has now been removed and replaced with a gondola type lift to service the new Mille 8 area, this unloads slightly lower down and a bit further to the right (as you look up the slope) than the old Chantel, the lift runs through till about half 8 in the evening and it is fairly easy to scoot across from there to get to the Aiguille Grive complex.

That sounds ok. I have been told by the person I am looking at renting the apartment off that the charmetoger is a pain to get to and that they normally walk 100m to the piste then ski 100m down to the transarc. Does this sound about right. TBH the apartment is the right price as its an extra week and needs to be reasonable. I know that price and location it might be a bit of a trade off. Very Happy
Will more than likely end up in one of the bars around the square for apres and although my mate is in board boots ill be in ski boots and am loathe to walk on tarmac with them.
Its the only time I am envious of snowboarders.
snow report
You should be able to plot your course around 1800 using this:

http://en.lesarcs.com/pratical-information/plans.html
snow report
I can see what the person you are renting off might mean as getting up to the Charmottoger is up quite a steep hill but it's probably 50/50 as to which is the easier to get to out of that and the Trans Arc. Also the Charmottoger is old and tends to swing round to pick you up at some speed to deliver a nice little knock on the calves first thing Smile I usually use it because only people in those blocks ever do so even in peak season it is quiet with no queue whereas the Trans Arc can be a total scrum!
My recommendation for a bar to use during après would be Barking Mad, run by 2 Brits by the name of Rob and Phil, great guys, good food, its a little on the pricey side but when you see the size of the portions you'll be happy. They also usually do a 4 pint and pizza deal for après which is very good value.
snow report
Just seen your dates, 4th - 1tth of Feb is one of the French school holiday dates, I'd swallow the walk up to the Charmottoger to avoid the Trans Arc. That's going to be a very busy week Exclamation
ski holidays
That's sounds like a plan. It's a shame it's the French holidays I've managed to miss them for the last 20 years but the opportunity came up for another week in the mountains snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Is there a blue run that runs from Arc 1950 down underneath the pre st esprit chairlift? I can make one out near the bottom of the lift on the map but it looks like it starts in the middle of nowhere? I'm guessing it runs behind the mountain thats in the foreground of the piste map?
ski holidays
@nabus, the cascades piste starts from the bottom of the Marmottes chairlift and goes down to pre st espirit. There are a couple of routes from Arc1950 to this point. All are blue and in fact very gentle blues at that. At one point I think the whole area was marked mauve - very gentle for beginners.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy