Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots...HELP?!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an intermediate/advanced female skier who now uses blades.

I have a pair of nordica ski boots but they are too hard with no flex needed for blading! I struggle to bend my knees and need new boots desperately!! Very Happy

I am a student and so can't afford all the posh boots there are around that would be perfect! I'm looking for a cheaper but equally effective option.....if they exist!?

I have been to Lockwoods in Leamington to have my feet measured for new ones but the guy ended up telling me my feet are deformed because i can't do lunges without lifting my back foot up off the floor! He said i have no flex in my feet and i could possible have an operation to correct this. I thought this was a bit extreme!! Has anyone any idea of any websites or shops i could try for advice?

Does anyone have or know of "Salomon Women’s Irony 7 CF Recreational Ski Boot"? I thought about trying those.

Any suggestions please??Thanks!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selly_39, welcome to snowHead
Unfortunately for you, the guys at Lockwoods are considered some of the best in the country, and normally if they say something like that, it's with good reason.
The only other place which is possilby better than them is Profeet in London.

Whatever you do, don't buy boots online!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Selly_39, Can't recomment a boot except how about an old ex-rental boot? should be soft and cheap, you could get them on holiday. I agree - don't buy them online. Check out a sports physio re your feet - there may well be some specific exercises to help you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

all the posh boots there are around that would be perfect

They wouldn't be any use if you can't flex your ankles. Sounds like your ankles, not the boots, are the key constraint. To improve the flex, just step forward as far as you CAN with back foot flat on the floor, both feet pointed forward, then try to bend the back leg. Keep at it, keep it up at least 30 seconds at a time, don't bounce. It will improve, no matter how little flex you have initially. Don't have operations, at least not without a lot of much more expert advice.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lockwoods are a great shop who really seem to know their stuff. But it is surprising that they have not at least tried to get you into some boots and then attempt to sort your problem out for you by adjusting the boot. Maybe they just were out of any stock on the day who knows. When you do buy boots just make sure you go to a shop that will pick boots suitable for your feet rather than letting you choose by the colour.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Selly_39 wrote:
I'm an intermediate/advanced female skier who now uses blades.

I have a pair of nordica ski boots but they are too hard with no flex needed for blading! I struggle to bend my knees and need new boots desperately!! Very Happy

I am a student and so can't afford all the posh boots there are around that would be perfect! I'm looking for a cheaper but equally effective option.....if they exist!?
Any suggestions please??Thanks!! Very Happy

If you're on the blades with adjustable non-release bindings, try sliding both the toe and heel bail one notch forward, then maybe two. Poss. temporary fix.

I use old Koflach ice climbing boots with mine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Selly_39, Pop and see CEM in Bicester, he is qualified to sort your foot problems out and is then able to fit your ski boots at Lockwoods. It grieves me to say it as he may let it go up to his cola/pie filled head but, he's the best you'll find in the U.K. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Lockwoods in Leamington to have my feet measured for new ones but the guy ended up telling me my feet are deformed because i can't do lunges without lifting my back foot up off the floor! He said i have no flex in my feet and i could possible have an operation to correct this.

Er, I agree that the Lockwood guy's advice is "extreme".
Firstly, MOST people in the world display a problem with their posture during exercise.
Secondly a lunge isn't much of a test of how you hold yourself on skis.
Thirdly, it's impossible do a proper lunge without lifting the back foot off the ground. What the hell is this guy on??
Fourthly, it's ludicrous to suggest you have "no flex in your feet." It's normal for feet not to have much flex!
And lastly, stay very VERY wary of any person who suggests surgery to "correct" a body part....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda wrote:

Thirdly, it's impossible do a proper lunge without lifting the back foot off the ground. What the hell is this guy on??

Calf stretching exercise apparently. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most people i know can lunge keeping their feet on the ground though Puzzled

I might try snow and rock next week to see what they say i just hope they don't try and get me to buy the most expensive boot they have!! Has anyone else been fitted there? I thought about the Rossignol Soft boots but i tried them on recently and stood in them for over 20 mins and they were really uncomfortable!! I don't know what to try next, hopefully the guys at snow and rock know what they are talking about.

Thanks for all your suggestions!! and please keep them coming?? Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Profeet in London twisted my feet every which way! rolling eyes When I asked why, the guy said "To check you have full mobility in both feet." Now I have bought boots in 2 S&R branches and accompanied my other half when he bought his boots in a resort. No other bootfitter bothered to check foot mobility.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe i should go to london then? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Selly_39, I would follow SMALLZOOKEEPER's advice (he knows his stuff when it comes to boots), or pay a vist to profeet in London.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where exactly is Profeet? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Selly_39, Profeet is in Putney, South West London.
ski holidays
Brilliant thanks!! Very Happy
latest report
Did you have trouble with the nordicas, ie require any changes/custom insoles etc? If not then some calf stretches (lockwoods told me to stop wearing high heels all the time as well, I now walk to walk/back in trainers instead as well which has worked wonders) and try the discount boots in decathlon (salomon irony i think). If you search back I posted some instructions on basic bootfitting for yourself a while back in this forum I think...The irony is the new version of the boot I used to have I think btw - very soft but pretty comfy - sounds like the sort of thing you are looking for?

jess xx
snow report
I have considered the salamon irony boots, i saw them on the Snow and Rock website and they are described as having good flexibility and i know that salamon is a good make, i am just hesitant to buy without a proper fitting somewhere as i can't afford to buy another pair of boots that fit awful!!

The nordica boots i have at the moment have awful insoles which mean my socks get all screwed up inside but it is really the flex that bothers me, i can't even bend my knees in them properly which i especially need now im on blades. I have tried my mums ski boots which are by Lange and they have much more flex in them. She bought her boots from the same place as me in austria with no fitting and she has been told that they are 2 sizes too big!! I think we have learnt a lesson about buying with no advice purely because they are cheap!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy