Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I've been offered a job out in Lech for the 2016/17 season, but it's not really a resort I know much about (St Anton would have been my first choice)
So if you could offer me any info about Lech I'd be very grateful, I'm a little worried that it may be too quiet and up market for a seasonnaire :/
Was mainly wondering;
Is there decent apres/night life is like there?
How easy is it to get from Lech to St Anton?
Is there a seasonnaire vibe at all?
Are taxis from Lech to St Anton extortionate? etc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Kopt22. Welcome to SH's. It depends on your view of 'decent' apres ski? There is none of the wild drunken revelry you will find in Stanton. I'm guessing you have a role in one of the two hotels run by a UK TO? There will be a number of staff for you to mix and have fun with. As well as another run by another UK TO this season. There are several apres ski bars, along the main road at the bottom of the piste in the centre. Night life revolves around 2 or 3 nightclubs that can go on till the early hours of the morning. (not recommended if you are up at 7am). Getting from Lech to Stanton is relatively easy. The post bus only runs till about 7pm, after that it's taxi only, but these are 8 seater and cost about 50-60 euro, so fill it and share costs. Ski wise, with the new link it will be possible to ski the WHOLE of the Arlberg without using buses. There is definitely a seasonaire 'vibe' albeit a much more subdued one than in Stanton.
Lech is without doubt a much more sophisticated and mature resort than Stanton, but all the better for that in my view.
You are going to one of the best resorts in one of the world's top class ski areas. Be thankful for the opportunity and grasp it with both hands.
Good luck and enjoy it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A big Lech-fan myself , like Old Man of Lech, but I do not completely agree on his description.
If St.Anton is your idea of decent apres/night life (and expecting to enjoy it as much for a full season as you do for a week), you'll probably gonna find Lech (very) boring. No such scenes at all.
The typical guest in Lech is 50+, and looking for fine dining instead of Anton in Tirol
And getting from Lech to St.Anton is not a thing you will like to do often. It is at least 30 minutes driving, with two passes to cross. With snowfall, it can be quite nightmarish.
Still, there are many seasonnaires, and yes, Lech is considered one of the best resorts in the world....It is up to you!
(Actually what I'm saying is not so different from Old man of Lech, but still....well I think you get the picture) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a quick addition to what I said earlier. My staff made a regular trip to Stanton to enjoy the 'nightlife' there, on the night before their day off. So hangovers & lack of sleep were not interfering with their duties the following day. Downside to that of course was they often missed the days skiing. As someone once said:- you can do 3 things in a season, party-work-ski, but you can only do 2 well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with @Langerzug, and personally it is one of the last places I'd like to do a season if I was younger and looking for a "seasonnaire vibe". Do you have any other options at the moment, or possibility of them?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Working in Lech sounds nice right about now. Sitting in my dreary office watching the grey skies and rain in Seattle has got me dreaming of being somewhere else. And, Lech seems like a nice place to spend the winter!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Toadman, Can't beat it. Had 5 great seasons there. Looking forward to one in Steamboat
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great place, but hope you have plenty of dosh, as apres is not cheap in Lech and St A.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not as expensive as most of the big French resorts. There is a lot of misconceptions about Lech. just one is that it is mega expensive. It isn't not by a long way. You can spend big there but you can anywhere. Accommodation isn't cheap but after that it's pretty reasonable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech is very expensive, there's no doubt about that. Although there are more expensive places and it's not the worst, one of the reasons it's an issue for people is that it's so small and everything is owned by a few of the same families and there's little alternative for cheaper options. I've done Lech on both ends of the scale and there's not a huge difference
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp,
Quote:

that it's so small and everything is owned by a few of the same families and there's little alternative for cheaper options

That really is not the reason why Lech is more expensive than other resorts. Most hotels in Lech simply are fully booked all season by returning guests. (in the words of our landlady: January is no low season in most hotels in Lech).

Most Austrian resorts are dominated by a small number of families.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Most Austrian resorts are dominated by a small number of families.

Same here
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, I would disagree, bigger resorts obviously have more varied accommodation and dining options. I've been to every restaurant in Lech and Zurs and you pay pretty much the same everywhere - there's no "cheap lunch" compared to somewhere that has self service places or €3-5 plates of chips etc, say Kaprun, Soll, VT etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp:- What? EVERY restaurant in Lech & Zurs? If you had been to EVERY restaurant you would know that the Olympia just above Oberlech is way cheaper than just about anywhere else in their self service restaurant. Goulash soup & a chunk of bread for 6 euro is excellent value in any ones money, and it is delicious. Home made, (haus gemacht), which you don't find in all of them. If you like a 'cheap' lunch. then Lech is obviously not the place for you, but if you value ambiance, great service, friendly people, good food, and most importantly GREAT SKIING, then Lech is THE place. Not sure how much a 'plate of chips' is, never felt the need to ask for them, but I suspect it is not much more if anything more than you would find in any Alpine resort.
Kopt22:- Ignore the doom mongers and nay sayers re. the so called expense of Lech. Once you have the accommodation sorted, which may be on the upper end of your budget, things aren't so bad. Go for it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Man Of Lech, the Olympia isn't on the mountain??

Anyway, you're ignoring the original post - did you read it? If s/he was asking for somewhere with good service, skiing, food & nice people (I would absolutely disagree with ambiance and while the skiing is good, I wouldn't say it's amazing), then Lech might be a good fit for him/her. But based on his/her assumption (which is completely accurate) and the questions s/he's asked - Lech obviously isn't and that's why I asked if they had any other opportunities. If the OP came back and said there was an offer for a season in Ischgl or the 3V, I would seriously recommend going there instead
latest report
@moseyp,
1. Lech-Zürs is not that small. Approximately 8.500 beds. E.g. St.Anton and Ischgl have about 10.000 each.
2. I wasn't denying that Lech is more expensive than other Austrian resorts. It is, but not as bad as many people think. For example at Formarin or Cresta you can get a -very nice- pasta for 10-12 euro. (I will not get that here in Amsterdam, or in London or New York probably)
3. I was just saying that the small number of Lech-families is not the cause for the high prices. That's just caused by the popularity of Lech, "the market", and yes, the wise decision to not go for cheap/mass tourism, already taken many years ago.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-09-16 20:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
CORRECTION---BIG TIME. I said Olympia what I actually meant was the SALOME. I know not the same at all but memory plays tricks sometimes! Anyway the Olyimpia beside the lift up to Oberlech is also good value.
As for the OP. Yes of course I read it and if you read the first response to it (mine), you would know I addressed his questions. I only questioned your comments re restaurants. getting off the OP subject I know, but I wouldn't let them go unchallenged
latest report
@Langerzug, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with that - Lech is not a big resort. It's far, far smaller than say Val Thorens, Avoriaz, Chamonix, Verbier etc all places I'd far prefer to do a ski season in if I were young, interested in social life, apres ski etc as I believe the OP is.

Also, I know pasta in Lech for that price is good - but when you're living in a ski resort it's very hard to justify spending that sort of money. I bring my lunch from home everyday
latest report
Second what Langerzug says, and here in Mierlo North Brabant we pay far more than 10-12 e for a pasta dish
snow report
Quote:

3. I was just saying that the small number of Lech-families is not the cause for the high prices. That's just caused by the popularity of Lech, "the market", and yes, the wise decision to not go for cheap/mass tourism, already taken many years ago.

just in response to that - it's a pretty well known fact Lech ran a ski hire cartel for years. Stuff like that is what happens in very small villages
ski holidays
@moseyp,
The discussion is becoming a bit difficult, I'm afraid. I already agreed on the fact that Lech might not be the best spot for a seasonaire, especially one looking for apres-ski. (we were not talking about prices at that time)
On an Austrian scale (the OP was talking about Austrian resorts), Lech is one of the larger resorts. The OP was referring to St.Anton which is'nt exactly cheap either...
And having lunch in Verbier....well, Lech is a bargain compared to that! And in the French resorts you pay Lech prices, and getting the equivalent of a poor snackbar....

@Old Man Of Lech, Groeten naar Brabant Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 4-09-16 21:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@moseyp, The ski hire cartel which was investigated and in the press was in St.Anton
snow conditions
@Langerzug, Okay but the OP didn't say specifically that they could only go to Austria. I've asked if they have any other options, they may well do. Or maybe not - and if they can only go to Lech then I wouldn't tell them not too, a ski season is a ski season! But I think people get a bit defensive and romantic about resorts that they are connected to and give very biased opinions. You have to assume the OP knows what they want and give them a fair and impartial view. I absolutely adore where I live, but if it doesn't suit someone I won't recommend it to them

In fairness to Verbier, my point was that you have cheaper options if you go to the right places because it's so big (especially if you're somewhere like Nendaz). I live in Italy and I pay literally a third or quarter of the price for much nicer food than Lech.

Also Lech was def part of the cartel
snow conditions
Talking of the skiing in Lech doesn't really make sense - you're skiing the Arlberg, which is huge, and has more terrain than anyone will ski in 10 seasons.

Is it a great village to be based in for a season? Wouldn't be my first choice tbh. Relatively expensive (come on, we all know it is - a beer costs €5+ [yes that's my definition of expensive, I normally pay €2,80-3,50] more often than it does less), not much in the way of lively apres or partying.

Certainly better than many resorts you might get placed in though!

The skiing is rad, it gets a metric poo-poo ton of snow, the local area doesn't get tracked as quickly on powder days as parts closer to St Anton, powder pillow paradise Stuben is just around the corner, and St Anton is only 20 minutes away on a bus or taxi when you do fancy a night out (get to know other seasonnaires or get on tinder and you should find somewhere to crash pretty easily too). And of course there are bars in Lech, it's not a ghost town.
ski holidays
Plenty of bars in St Anton do discounted beers, jaegers and other drinks for season staff (and some places, food). Play your cards right and you can even have nights out for free if for example drinking with guests/on the reps "get to know your resort" evening etc.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I've skied in many of the big resorts in Europe but am a big fan of Austria - in recent years I've been to Saalbach, Hinterglemn, Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel but am told St Anton is the place to be, so for this job in particular I applied for St Anton but they offered me Lech.

I still have a few more interviews coming up so will probably hold out for St Anton but thought I'd get some research done!

Given that the skiing in the Arlberg region is so extensive I think I would be just fine in Lech - plenty to keep me busy! And as you say, I'll only have one day off a week so if it's not too difficult to get over to Stanton then that should feed my party needs.

Accomodation would all be included in my contract but I am a little concerned that my wages wouldn't go very far in Lech...maybe that would be countered by nicer tips?

Is there a supermarket in lech?
snow report
(I'm 24 and had heard that the cliental in Lech tend to be a little older, but as long as there's a good bunch of seasonaires there then it should be ok)
snow report
Quote:

Is there a supermarket in lech?

You would'nt believe it, but there are 2 supermarkets in Lech!
About your wages: pricewise there is not much difference between St.Anton and Lech.
And yes, your tips might be better in Lech. Just as an indication: there are 9 5***** hotels in Lech-Zürs. (only Courchevel and St.Moritz are in that league; with the bonus of Lech being a much friendlier, sporty, low key resort than those two)
Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy