Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long to hold out for pass and ski hiring

Poster: A snowHead
Booked apartment, tunnel and hotel to split journey down for half term.
Do l pay for all the rest now at this euro rate on line or do I hang on in there? It's so tempting to just get it all out of the way.
I have to pay for the apartment in cash (less deposit) and a €500 returnable deposit for stay...
Come on you money people, what are you all doing with the exchange rate so low?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In reality the difference is likely to be the equivalent to one good meal out so stop worrying and buy, or stop worrying and wait.

Btw - I have also asked the same question and had numerous spreadsheets to support buy or hold decisions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you should hold on. Or pay now. Seriously, it's not really predictable so I'd keep my money until payment was due.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot @ansta1, says.

Paying for a ski apartment in cash? Are you skiing in Greece this year Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
500 euros is a big deposit for a ski apartment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even experienced currency traders only average around a 5% profit per annum on the total amount they stake on the market. Nobody knows is the answer; and the likely swings from now-on will not make that much difference.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@harrim51,
Quote:

I have to pay for the apartment in cash (less deposit) and a €500 returnable deposit for stay...

Are you 100% comfortable with this? Paying cash gives you no protection and there have been so many scams relating to apartments, especially through the likes of owners-direct etc. Nowadays, I'd only pay cash for renting the apartment of I know the owner personally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, I've paid cash a few times for apartments in Austria. Seems to be quite a common approach there and I've not had any problems with it. Main thing is that you're physically inside the apartment and in possession of the keys before you hand the money over.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In general if you pay early for ski stuff you get bigger discounts than if you leave it later, so what you may win on a positive exchange rate move you could lose on a lower discounts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, +1. Where we go, you get 20% discount on hire and 10% discount on passes if you pay before the end of November (I think...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Valkyrie wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, I've paid cash a few times for apartments in Austria. Seems to be quite a common approach there and I've not had any problems with it. Main thing is that you're physically inside the apartment and in possession of the keys before you hand the money over.
Fair enough, that seems prety safe. I've had two friends involved in these scams. One of them found that someone else was trying to rent her apartment out. having lifted the images from her website. The other rang the villa owner just a day or two before travelling to discuss the hand-over only to find the owner had never heard of them. Neither of them lost any money in the end, thangs to credit card refunds etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the UK, if you pay just £100 or greater, with a credit card, then you covered for the whole amount, even amounts paid in cash. And if there are 6 of you say, and just one pays a £100 deposit for all of you, then it is likely you are all covered for the full amount.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up to section 75 limits (which unless you are going somewhere really swanky won't be an issue at £30k
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeDaSp, @ansta1, Indeed, although you can still end up out of pocket if, like one of the friends above, you get refunded for the scam but end up having to rearrange a holiday at short notice and much higher cost.

Either way, I think we agree it's usually worthwhile paying for a chunk of your holiday accomodation by card.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my experience in France deposits are either cash after you arrive and are in the place, or by cheque which is returned to you (but that has to be a French cheque, which is not such a bouncy risk as an English one)

500 is quite usual.

Generally, on that basis, exchange rates wouldn't be relevant - hand over 500 smackers and get 500 back a week later.
snow report
I have had to cancel a couple of holidays in the past, due to ill health or family death.
What I found was that the insurance cover I had in place only covered the basic price of the holiday. Flights and accommodation I think. Not ski passes or equipment.
latest report
Our insurance covered ski packs when we had to return home early. It was not quite the amount we'd lost, but was around £30 per day, I dont hire skis so it almost covered the lift pass. Not sure how we'd have stood for pre-paid stuff if we had not been able to travel though.
snow report
Mmm food for thought, thanks.
The balance and deposit for the rental will be paid on arrival, so hopefully no problem. The €500 back is a bit awkward as I will have to change back to £ on return but I can understand the reluctance of a uk cheque, can only hope for a good rate on return. I'm thinking I will get passes and kit sorted, will be using a CC that doesn't charge anything extra for foreign use.
Re insurance, that's a good thought, will have to check that one, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy