Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

free.fr ADSL down - up to 7 days (!) apparently to fix - suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Internet connection failed while we were out lunch on Sunday (Freebox Revolution, beein in place since 2009, about 400m from exchange). Didn't think it was stormy. Worked when we left (we'd been using) - not working on return and box couldn't establish a WAN link.

All cables checked although not by replacement.

Reported Monday AM to Free. Message late last night that a tech had to attend the exchange and that could take up to 7 working days, and longer if he didn't find problem first time.

And we have two parties of clients in (who oddly enough aren't complaining - must be hearty climbers or something, or child free).

Last time we had a problem we sourced very economical BouyguesT dongles but that service has been discontinued. And doesn't necessarily help that much as they'd only service one PC (yes, that could share connection but, tech).

Almost certainly would need at least 2 hotspots to cover the building. And they don't seem to be able to simply feed into existing access points...

Any bright ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MiFi ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@altis, thanks, but already considered - would need 2 as the ones they "hand out" don't have LAN ports to use as connection into existing network (I used hotspots above instead of MiFi).

Anyway deeper digging suggests that it's an Orange/FT issue if it is the line and so next step is to test both line with POTS and freebox on another (known good) line.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe one of these http://www.devolo.co.uk/article/devolo-wifi-repeater/ will attach to the dongle Wifi and give you a Lan port to feed the access points
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can get 3G/4G, I think most people could cope on their own mobiles (sharing as hotspots when needed), given free EU roaming now.

Or get a pay-as-you-go SIM with data bundle and share as a hotspot for others?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Themasterpiece, good point. This may be why they haven't been complaining!

@BergenBergen, hmm, I think that's reversing the intended use and may work if I need a longer term solution, but for a week, maybe overkill. Oh and I don't know whether Devolo use the same protocol as my existing Netgear powerline connections (which could bring up a whole new set of fun).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hah. Came up to test it. Unplugged replugged everything - it works... Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, the joys of French internet. I had problems with our Orange connection last March. Reset it, unplugged it, did everything I was told to. Nothing worked, so I sat on the helpine for ages. They said I had entered a wrong password, although I hadn't as it was saved on my laptop.Eventually they said there was a fault, and the engineer would be out in the morning. Later that evening, router started working again. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If this happens too often then investigate an ADSL-modem/router with a USB port where you can add an ordinary, cheap 3G dongle. If the ADSL fails then it will automatically fall-back onto 3G.

Some of the Draytek Vigors do this, eg:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, It's the first time this has happened since we switched to Free mid-2009. Network outages (often storm related) have happened but get fixed pretty quickly.

Will teach me to do the real basics next time. We have a router like that at home as our phones are now VOIP and our alarm goes over the phone (and doesn't have its own SIM card).

@Hells Bells, yes, S-i-Law about to switch providers because Orange have developed some infrastructure issue that's preventing her husband play Warcraft online (amongst other issues) and orange say it'll be the back of August before it's fixed (I have no idea what this could be). 2 weeks outage between providers? (there are ways around, but really??)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

preventing her husband play Warcraft online (amongst other issues)

OMG, that would cause a mutiny if it was my sons.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, there was nearly blood on the cream carpets. Especially as I was the last one to dick around with their router trying to eke more than 56kb* out of it (center of Chamonix as well).

*some exaggeration for effect, but not so much.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ooops I thought this was an ACL thread.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy