Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
@bar shaker, the Ultra 30 looks pretty amazing, glad yours lives up the reviews Smile

@SnoodyMcFlude
Quote:
in my experience using the phone to set up a shot from helmet cam still takes some getting used to
how long have you owned the Garmin Ultra 30?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, I haven't, I've got a GoPro Session. Tend to have a problem getting and angle right because when you're stood looking at the phone you aren't in the natural position you ski in. Have had the same problem when using the chest mount on a bike.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Hero 4 Silver and would highly recommend it (caveat that I paid £236 in December 2014, not sure if there are better deals available now to maintain value vs competitors). Having the screen is very useful for positioning, but that's about all I use it for. If you're taking it skiing I would recommend buying a couple of spare batteries and a charger, as battery lifespan is reduced as temperature drops. I bought a set (2 batteries and a charger) by Smatree on Amazon which costs around £15 and has worked very well, and gets me through a day on the slopes.

All that being said the new Garmin looks very nice indeed! I don't think I am in the market for a new camera yet (need to keep telling myself this as I'm a sucker for this type of thing), but if I was I would be very interested. As others have said I expect the Hero 5 to be released soon so might be worth seeing what this brings to the table, and how it affects the price of other models.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I would not want a built in screen - it's just more to carry around and drain your battery. Modern GoPro access via smartphone works fine, but I use it to control the set up, not aim the thing.

Aiming... is trivial. Just run it for 5 seconds, check the footage, repeat until you know how it works. We used to do this easily with the original GoPro without any hassle. Once you know where to point it, and have a feel for the field of view, you never need to bother with that again. So sure you can muck around with remote-viewing if you feel you must, but that's throwing technology at a problem you could just choose not to have.

New cameras... The 4 black with a frame mount is pretty neat. 4k seems about right at the moment, and with "raw" output you could get more but I don't need it. A smaller form-factor (like the session) at 4k I would buy. Other stuff seem like gimmicks which I don't care about (gps: duh my phone has it; sound: I have better devices to capture sound).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, they can get the session to capture 4k, but they can't keep the heat down sufficiently to make it stable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, I agree when the gopro is stuck on your helmet, but on the beach/in water/swimming pools/the sea I reckon a built in screen would be very handy. Apparently the garmin screen can be controlled whilst it is in its waterproof case as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@1969jma
i ahve been using SONYx1000v 4K cam for everything the only bad thing is user interface on the cam body itself. great gear! personally think better than gpro
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
@philwig, I agree when the gopro is stuck on your helmet, but on the beach/in water/swimming pools/the sea I reckon a built in screen would be very handy. Apparently the garmin screen can be controlled whilst it is in its waterproof case as well.
Not interested in a screen for active viewing or reviewing footage, but an easier way to switch modes between video, photo, time-lapse, etc without having to navigate a labyrinthine menu structure using two physical buttons would be a big plus for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, I've only had it two days and was out last night, so haven't had more than a quick play with it. The menu on the touch screen is really good as is being able to change modes from your phone too, if it's on your helmet. To record, you just have to speak to it.

@SnoodyMcFlude, My thoughts would be that I would hold my phone up to where my eyes would normally look, when checking the orientation of the camera, rather than looking down at my phone. Just a thought wink

kitenski wrote:
Apparently the garmin screen can be controlled whilst it is in its waterproof case as well.

Yes it can.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wink Fortunately unlike "referendums", we don't all actually have to agree on the same thing.
It would be boring if everyone was the same.

Session @4k: I guess they need a heat sink... perhaps, like my bike lights, they'd be fine so long as you're air (or water) cooling them. I have not ridden with the GoPro people for some time, and my contacts there are getting wet in Indo at the moment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, sounds easy doesn't it? Report back to me when you've tried it Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bar shaker, sorry must have missed something, have you bought the Garmin?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, Yep and I like it.

@SnoodyMcFlude, I had a play yesterday, whilst out for a ride. The footage from my bike wasn't great as the mount I have is too flexible and my front tyre may need to be softer for the stone chipping surfaced Essex roads. I could see the camera rattling around so wasn't expecting much.

On the plus side, the resolution is superb, I could use my Garmin 1000 as a remote control and I could voice activate recording and photos... whilst cycling along.

I recorded approx 20 minutes of footage with the camera on 'remote wake up' (meant to be battery draining) all over a 4 hour period. I used 1080, 2.7k and 4k modes. At the end, there was some battery left but not much. I have a spare battery on order.

Once I get a decent bike mount, I'll post some footage up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7hrs 40 minutes till release from gopro.

"It all gets easy" is the tag line.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ansta1, will they post info "live" on their website do you know?
snow conditions
Yep, from 5pm today UK time.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, bike is a bit easier to guage where it should point, I've started to use a chest mount as you get arms in shot, which gives good POV perspective. My footage is always a bit bouncy though as I'm on trails rather than the road. To give an idea, this video is from handlebar mount for the first half and then switches to a chest mount after the 5 minute mark.

http://youtube.com/v/arBYywlZS8w

I always struggle getting it pointing in the right direction when I ski though (or at least it took some getting used to). It seems like it's pointing at the sky, but by the time you are skiing and looking down it levels out a bit.
snow report
Hero5 Black - no housing, waterproof "out of the box", 4k, speech activated etc
ski holidays
Karma looking more compelling than I thought, at that price point.
ski holidays
Yep, competing with dji and fuyetech drones.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
I'd probably use the gimbal more often that the drone, but it seems to be half the price of the DJI things if you buy in $$$s so not stupidly expensive for something which would only see, in my case, very occasional use.

Have you seen one of the new Sessions yet? Interested to see how its 4K footage compares to the 5 Black.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Karma looking more compelling than I thought, at that price point.

The drone with all the bits like the gimbal looks a pretty good idea, you could ski holding the gimbal and get very smooth video
ski holidays
I've seen but not been able to play with the session5. Big plus with the new session is the image control, but for the price difference I still have issues.

I can probably get some 'raw' output for those folks that are interested in the number (bit rates) if anyone is interested.

My honest view vi

Karma - great but too late too market for most.
Session - good but still to high a price point (caveat this is going to sit well with a niche market and also gopro fans)
Hero5 black - this is still king of image quality and is but 'mainstream users' (not pro's) will have other options.

There are still some things that gopro haven,t released or enabled yet due to a push to release following garmin and other products but not sure this will keep gopro at the top of the marke consumer wise, but i could be wrong.
snow report
so hero5 Black is £349.99
Garmin Virb Ultra £449

What other options are there @ansta1, ?
latest report
There are some firmware updates that will provide integration between drone, gimbal and gps in terms of camera, I'm not party to drone specific stuff just the camera line.

As mentioned IQ has always been the gopro sellng point in recent years and they have this in the pipeline. The hero5 will shortly have a frame rate upgrade on most settings and the chipset is built for 8k capture at current frame rates.

They are heading down the product split line ( i think i mentioned this a couple of years ago)

Session = consumer
Black 5 = pro, prosumer.
Black 5 pro = pro

Expect a black 5 pro soon. (no screen and dedicated user interface). The hero 4 black was used on the hobbit and other films and the footage reached the final cut.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
The hero5 will shortly have a frame rate upgrade on most settings and the chipset is built for 8k capture at current frame rates.
= 4k with image stabilisation? That would be nice.
latest report
Well I'm pleased they've finally gone black, with the black.

I'm not sure the 5 black is worth an upgrade: the 4 black with a frame mount is pretty close to that. I suppose I may pick up a 5 session as if they have 4k then those would be neater for using on my bike to get the police to deal with hostile drivers.
snow conditions
@philwig, agree re black for black. Proper product seperation, shame there isn't a need anymore.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice comparison between the GoPro hero 5 and the Garmin Virb Ultra 30

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/gopro-hero5-karma-drone.html
ski holidays
And also from dcrainmaker

Things you may not have noticed: Within 10 minutes of GoPro event ending, Garmin permanently dropped price of VIRB Ultra 30 to match: $399
ski holidays
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0580025221/gopro-unveils-hero5-black-and-hero-5-session-cameras-and-gopro-plus-subscription-service
snow report
any mention of battery life for the Hero 5 and Session 5?? and if you can swop out the battery on the Hero 5 ??
latest report
kitenski wrote:
... if you can swop out the battery on the Hero 5 ??
Yes you can, although the battery looks to be a different model to the Hero4. No idea about battery life, I guess we'll have to wait for some real world testing.
snow report
@rob@rar, cheers, seriously tempted to sell my Hero 4 silver for either the Garmin or the Hero 5. Really like the LCD panel on both and the Hero without case looks pretty good!

Just thinking about the drone, without the "follow me" feature I'm not sure when a snowsports/or many other sports enthusiast would use it really? Hard to get your mates to sit around whilst you un pack it, launch and then try to follow them!!
snow conditions
..and does anyone know if the current Smart remote will work with the Hero5?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
I'd probably use the gimbal more often that the drone, but it seems to be half the price of the DJI things if you buy in $$$s so not stupidly expensive for something which would only see, in my case, very occasional use.

Wait for the new DJI Mavic...

Along the lines of the Karma from what I understand, but with better flight programmes and (collision avoidance, stabilisation) sensors.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

Just thinking about the drone, without the "follow me" feature I'm not sure when a snowsports/or many other sports enthusiast would use it really? Hard to get your mates to sit around whilst you un pack it, launch and then try to follow them!!

I certainly think the lack of follow me will suck for most consumers (who want to film themselves - I'm still to see follow me drone shots that look anywhere near as good as standard drone shots from pros), but I doubt the biggest problem will be getting your mates to wait - they'll love aerial footage of themselves! Real problem is you have to lug it around yourself without getting any shots of you wink
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Wait for the new DJI Mavic...
Certainly not in a rush to buy, most probably will wait until I'm in the US next year. As it's a bit of an impulse purchase I'm price sensitive more than looking for a long feature list. The DJI drones all look very clever, but too expensive for what I'm looking for.

Having looked at GoPro's website I see you can buy the gimbal by itself and add the rest of the drone at a later date should you wish, so that might be an option for me.
ski holidays
@clarky999, when I first saw this "follow me" drone skiing in Feb I was pretty impressed (not with the standard of the skiing) but the quality of the shot and the fact it did seem to "follow" the skier....

http://youtube.com/v/4Skoun_wXno
latest report
I'm not convinced that drones is a great business plan - it's a natural extension but ultimately is quite risky due to the tw@ttishness of the customer base and potential for being legislated/regulated out of existence. I can see a world in which usage is really only prosumer minimum for anyone prepared to invest in the necessary licences.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy