Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
As an aside, one of the negative points of lots of these cameras including the gopro range is that you can't have predefined settings

My Garmin lets me do this and name the settings. I think you can save 4 set ups.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 9Y old is desperate to buy his first Go-Pro (he has £200 pocket / birthday / Christmas money to spend).

The only viable option is the Sessions camera (£159 on Amazon at the moment).

The reviews are positive and at that price point he can't have an all-singing-all-dancing gadget.

Only concern is that some users have commented that the battery and, hence, the camera itself, is liable to freezing when exposed to cold temps (nothing excessive).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at the TomTom Bandit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Action-Cameras-Accessories/TomTom-Bandit-Premium-Action-Camera/B00WV6A17I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489662371&sr=8-2&keywords=tomtom+bandit&tag=amz07b-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-1LB0-001-00-Bandit-Action-Camera/dp/B00WV69ZI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489662371&sr=8-1&keywords=tomtom+bandit&tag=amz07b-21

Good price here (email sign up required)
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/946953
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see that the Ion and Contour merger has produced a new 4k camera. Looks an awful lot like the old Contour Roam with new internals. No bad thing IMV, but not cheap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@franga, havnt used the session so cant comment directly, but i think its a general feature of batteries that they suffer in the cold. The battery on my Sony drains slightly faster on the coldest days (-20), but its easily solved by sticking it in a pocket to warm up when not using it. Id guess its probably similar for the Session. Incidentally, the Sony X3000 is amazing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
blacksheep wrote:

I looked at these. It isn't really a 4k camera, with only 15fps. You would be better off buying a Hero 4.

I suspect the Bandit is in the throes of being updated as the prices have dropped dramatically in recent months.

franga How life has changed. I wanted an Intrepid Black Prince fishing reel when I was 9. My nan bought me one with the Green Shield stamps she had saved up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

franga How life has changed. I wanted an Intrepid Black Prince fishing reel when I was 9. My nan bought me one with the Green Shield stamps she had saved up.

How true ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a 9 year old is going to want a GoPro not a knock off IMHO.....

@franga, are you talking about HERO Session? your link just goes straight to amazon home page!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@franga, I say again...

Quote:

If anyone is interested in buying a GoPro Hero3+, c/w various mounts, head strap, memory card + usb adaptor, battery backpack (basically an extra battery which clips on the back of the camera) with the larger case to accommodate it, and a zip up case for everything to live in... PM me with an offer.

The sad reality has set in that my life isn't half as exciting as I thought a GoPro would make it appear to be.

Having found some bits I can also add a chest harness, a mount on a springy clip thing, a pair of lens caps, a memory card (I think 16GB I could be wrong) and USB3 card slot, and a normal size back door if you don't want to use the battery backpack.

I would certainly consider an offer of £200 if you wanted to make one...

I appreciate the Session comes in at £150 but my 3+ would come with lots of accessories. It's also the fact that for less than £200 I'd rather keep it...

As a side note - this is my opinion whether you want to make me an offer or not - not a sales pitch... I don't think it does 4k but it does full HD. I don't even use that. I shoot in 720p. Simply because it uses less battery. My experience with my GoPro is that the battery is the number 1 thing to hold you back. You can buy a bigger SD card every year, you can get every accessory under the sun for it but the battery still limits how long you can use it for. So for me, running at slightly lower resolution, and using the bolt-on battery backpack (available for full size gopros but not the session) is the way to capture a full day on the mountain. If you only want to video the best runs of the day you'll never capture the things you later really wish you could watch again... like, for instance, me skiing into a bin.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

I looked at these. It isn't really a 4k camera, with only 15fps. You would be better off buying a Hero 4.

I suspect the Bandit is in the throes of being updated as the prices have dropped dramatically in recent months.

He didn't say it needed to be 4K. Personally I am more than happy with good quality high bitrate 60fps 1080p. The Bandit also has some nice features like GPS etc. I wouldn't discount it and as you say some good deals at the moment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blacksheep wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

He didn't say it needed to be 4K. Personally I am more than happy with good quality high bitrate 60fps 1080p. The Bandit also has some nice features like GPS etc. I wouldn't discount it and as you say some good deals at the moment.

You have kind of made my point. If you only want 1080, you don't want image stabilisation, GPS or external sensor input, then there are a whole lot of options at very good prices.

For someone so young, I don't know if their first POV should be treated as a disposable learning tool, or if it should be future proof and good for 3-5 years use.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do whatever he says, I'm out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all - we've just pressed "buy" on the Session, an SD card and a cheap accessory pack. He was desperate to get the GoPro and who I was to argue after a poo-poo day at work. It's his money, I hope he looks after it as he's not getting a replacement if he breaks it. He'll get a lot out of it - he loves doing rails and jumps in the snow park and is very creative too.@bar shaker, good point, I'm viewing it as his first foray into this type of stuff. I'm sure he'll progress to the Hero in a couple of years.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It takes a lot to break a Go Pro!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga wrote:
Thanks all - we've just pressed "buy" on the Session, an SD card and a cheap accessory pack. He was desperate to get the GoPro and who I was to argue after a poo-poo day at work. It's his money, I hope he looks after it as he's not getting a replacement if he breaks it. He'll get a lot out of it - he loves doing rails and jumps in the snow park and is very creative too.@bar shaker, good point, I'm viewing it as his first foray into this type of stuff. I'm sure he'll progress to the Hero in a couple of years.

The Session is a lovely tool and gives good future proof resolution. Plus, when he eventually wants to trade it in (when 16K is all the rage wink ), GoPro kit has a good resale value.

I have a 4K tv in my apartment and was blown away by the playback quality of 4K footage. I thought 1080 was good but the detail in 4K is pretty amazing. Plus you get stills, like Rob@rar posted above. Your lad is going to be doing some interesting AV projects at school with his new toy!
ski holidays
A nice toy, although you're unlikely to share it at 4k any time soon, and you will need a decent machine to edit it.
ski holidays
I've just come across a flaw in my plan to record in 2.7k on my Gopro and do quick edits on an iPad mini.

It appears from a brief test that I cannot edit video filmed at that quality on the iPad with Quik.

Is that correct, or am I missing something simple??

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
@kitenski, unless you just want to clip the footage which you can use the GoPro app for, you probably need to go get iMovie for iOS, which costs about a fiver IIRC.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I have iMovie, I plugged in the Quick key and iMovie didn't recognise it to download??
snow report
@kitenski, possible CODEC incompatibility - has it worked before with footage from this camera? Have you done the Import & Convert though Cineform?
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, I don't have cineform on my ipad. More testing, 2.7k @ 25fps will import using Quik and then iMovie can see it!
snow report
So at the airport, on the way out to Les Arcs, I succumbed to a new GoPro Session 5. Observations:

1. It 'should' be plug and play (get it out of the box, one button push start, easy to use). This is 'correct'. BUT in my enthusiasm to get out on the slopes, I didn't read the manual - and got a mix of video and timelapse footage. NOTE to self, do read the simple instructions! A short press on the shutter gets video, a "press and hold" gets timelapse.

2. It does get 'hot' and the battery runs down 'really quick'. I've read that a software update improves this (some bug with card reads when in standby mode)... I didn't / couldn't update in resort, so have yet to see if this update has improved things.

3. I suffered from SD card errors (it would stop recording/lose footage) - I am not convinced the assistant in the shop sold me a the best/recommended SD card, so i need to check that. But wondered if others have had this sort of problem even with recommended cards?

4. It's so light and small, that I am happier to wear it on my helmet for more of the day, and the simplicity of the one touch record, means i am capturing more relevant footage and clips (rather than long segments that take an age to pore through and select quality clips).

5. The video quality is 'awesome' and a vast improvement on my original Hero HD.

If i can get over my first use niggles - then I am / will be very happy with this bit of tech!
snow report
@Richie_S, I had SD card errors on my first use, I got a "recommended" card which was fine in Ischgl last week. https://workswith.gopro.com/info

Did you update firmware? Didn't notice mine getting warm.
ski holidays
Thanks @kitenski, I'll check the SD card i have against the recommended ones when i get home from work this evening...

No, I haven't updated yet - I plan on doing that tonight and taking some footage on a bike ride tomorrow.
snow conditions
It's good practice to format the SD card after a trip (obviously having copied off the files first)
latest report
Themasterpiece wrote:
It's good practice to format the SD card after a trip (obviously having copied off the files first)

It's best practice with gopro to do a low level format (fat32) on a PC/mac and then a reformat in camera via menus. Also don't connect the camera directly via USB, though generally not an issue it can cause card instability during use as the pc/mac drops hidden files onto the card now and again.
snow conditions
Ok, firmware upgrade completed. SD card appears to be on the recommended list, and has now been formatted via the camera menus.

Didn't seem to have any problems over the weekend despite shooting in 4k... so perhaps that's sorted it.

Found the Voice activation feature quite helpful whilst out on the bike.

Jury is out on the Quik editing software. Albeit, this (editing) is the bit i find both interesting and incredibly tedious in my time starved world. Before kids i could happily spend hours tinkering around to get to the finish article. Now I just want to shoot and get a quick edit together. Quik seems to be able to do that reasonably well...
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/-zCuuvYX1PA
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep practising guys:

Muscle-Up from Robert McIntosh
https://vimeo.com/218839072
snow report
The Mavic Pro is certainly pretty good; I'm sure the Spark will be too. No GoPro involvement, mind.

You need to know the law of course... and I expect they will need to revise some of that as these get cheaper. If you watch TV programmes at all then you can see there are strangely many more aerial shots even in relatively low budget productions...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy