Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Planning a Feb half-term trip for 2017. Two adults, three kids - 17, 13, 11 - all decent red-run skiers. We've always been to France, but now want to try Austria. Be nice to go somewhere with great skiing and decent restaurants, but not too rowdy! Basically - Les Arcs 2000, but with an Austrian accent. Any suggestions? Is St Anton a decent shout?
Cheers
Adam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to avoid rowdy but ski the Arlberg, St Anton probably not the best base unless you stay in the Nasserein end of town or base yourselves in Stuben or Lech. Hinterglemm could also be a good alternative. I've not been to Obergurgl but that could be a good option too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What are the largest/best ski areas in Austria?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that - we've seen a nice place in Nasserein in St Anton. Sound sensible?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Adam99, I love St Anton but it's not everyone's cup of tea. If all of you are decent enough skiers you'll love it. Nasserein has a gondola that will take you into the main hill above St Anton. We tend to ski Rendl day one to get the ski legs on - which is at the other end of town but you could easily take the gondola from Nasserein up and ski down again, or walk 10 mins or so up the main st should you wish to do so (as well as free bus). There is just so much skiing in the Arlberg that you will not get bored. I've been around 10 times and still not been to Sonnenkopf for example (a hill covered under the lift pass). There are plenty of places to avoid to mad apres too but when in Rome...... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much - we're going to give it a go!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Adam99, Its challenging..... if you're thinking French reds think St Anton blues (and there aren't many of them). If you are up for a great craic and hard long days skiing then its for you, but it WILL be busy, I ski the area 3-4 weeks a season and always avoid half term. Don't expect cruisy reds, OK there are a couple on Galzig but its not a mile-munching area, its steep, gnarly and people generally ski fast on the reds and blues, not for the feint hearted I'd suggest. Great restaurants, après is whatever you want it to be, you'll love it but get ready for it.......its full-on!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for halfterm, i tend to go for the 'lesser known' locations. Damuels, Warth, Obertauern have all been grat over the last couple years, but you need a car to take ful advantage of the area passes which include other resortsd. Fiieberbrunn could also work as it connects directly on to the 'ski circus' area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Adam99, Hi Adam. I spent 10 days in St. Anton last season, and every year I go to Saalbach in Austria for 10 days. In Saalbach, I go with friends and their kids. I would say, for your family, Saalbach wins easily. Large, linked resort with modern lifts. Beautiful little town with church etc. Good mixture of runs. And don't forget the horse-drawn sleigh ride at the top of the valley - magical.

St. Anton is much more sporty and steeper etc. Not best for families in my view.

Whatever you decide - have fun!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with Saalbach. Also worth having a look at Schladming or any of the Ski Amade resorts (Flachau, Zauchensee, Wagrain...)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, a lot of the Amade such as Flachau resorts have about 3 linked (4 mountains linked by lifts for Schladming area) plus there are free buses.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Done Zauchensee a couple of times (infact its where my kids learnt to ski), although not during feb half term. Its pretty small with nothing challenging, the link to Flachau makes it better. Not sure wqhat the 'traffic' is like over the half term hols. And Altenmarkt/Zauchensee has the ladies FIS race again this yerar, so is likely to be extra busy 13th - 15th Feb. Obertauern is a good option in the area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ischgl would be a serious option. It's got lots of apres ski but as with any resort it's as rowdy as you want it to be. For kids progressing well onto steeper reds and blacks it's fantastic. My kids are 17, 16 and 13 and love it for piste skiing. To get the best out of St Anton you really need to be going off piste. Great resort and the whole Arlberg area is superb but if you just want to ski reds then Ischgl is a better bet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did someone mention Ischgl wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy