Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short radius skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I decided to write a few words about my current skis. I'm 46, a returning skier, probaply an advanced intermediate I suppose. I came back to skiing some 6 years ago. During these six years I've had five pairs of skies in search of the right type. All mountain, basic piste skis and even fat twins. Last winter I couldn't be bothered dragging my skis on a short trip to Serfaus. So I rented a pair. I first got a pair of Atomic, terribly heavy and stiff, didn't work for me so took them back and tried a Blizzard pair. Everything just clicked and I was a good skier again like I was in my 20's. They were a very narrow (72mm waist) piste ski, incredible light and playful and I could just go on all day with a smile on my face. I wanted to buy them but the shop refused to sell them. When back home I googled them and only could find them in one shop in Italy. Two weeks later I has happily skiing with my perfect match. So, my search over and the answer was finding a ski which suited my old school style: short radius, no rocker whatsoever, and light. They work in any weather or snow on piste. The only downside is their slightly poorer grip on ice, compared to my ex Volkl skis, but I can well live with that. The model is Blizzard Power rc if you're interested. I'm 90kg, 187cm, in usual middle aged shape.
Just decided to share my experience. Maybe it can give some ideas to people in similar situation, not happy with their skis.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-08-16 12:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lmu2002, what is the size of your skis?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
172 and if remember correctly 72 waist.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
quite short in my view (I am 188cm and 88-90kg) and I usualy never go lower than 180 on either piste or all-mountain skis - for my weigth and speeds I usualy need more contact to be in control. Poorer grip on ice could be down to too short ski or edges not being in a perfect condition. Skied Nordica Doberman xx (some letters I could not remember) also piste oriented, 7x waist and 180 tall - was perfect for groomers (have not tried it bumps) but speed, control and edge hold were briliant!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These are the shortest of my recent five skis. They introduced me back to the joys of short radius turns. Edges are sharp so I agree with the lenght/grip. Can't have it all Smile
I'm not that strong on moguls but I don't avoid them with these. They just cut to turns so easy at any speed. For pure downhill I would choose something else though. Or a metre of powder. But for the normal piste action, I'm overly happy with these.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mooney058, 165cm is the length for FIS slalom, no matter your height or weight.

Rather a lot of fun.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SL skis are fun but also come with rather a stiff race plate and a tendency to kick you in the back bottom if you get out of shape in bumps. While I like mine on firm mornings I'd rather be on something else once things soften up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find people get a bit precious over length. Im 70kg and 173cm. I ski a 165 piste ski (non rockered) and a 179 off piste ski (rockered) - I don't find a longer or shorter ski effects my edge grip or stability at speed greatly.

To be honest I find a lot of people going too long. Lets be honest, we do have space to tear about sometimes, but much list a super car in the UK your speed is limited to the hazards around you and the surface your on. Often too many people around or slope condition too chopped up for GS skis.

Personally id rather ski shorter and have the agility. (Hell I still ski on 155 SL skis in a dome!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:
I find people get a bit precious over length. Im 70kg and 173cm. I ski a 165 piste ski (non rockered) and a 179 off piste ski (rockered) - I don't find a longer or shorter ski effects my edge grip or stability at speed greatly.

To be honest I find a lot of people going too long. Lets be honest, we do have space to tear about sometimes, but much list a super car in the UK your speed is limited to the hazards around you and the surface your on. Often too many people around or slope condition too chopped up for GS skis.

Personally id rather ski shorter and have the agility. (Hell I still ski on 155 SL skis in a dome!)

At 88 kg I see the difference, especially when gathering some speed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mooney058, Indeed, and granted I will look like a hobbit stood next to you, being 6'3 ;-P
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do a lot of people buy what others are raving about rather than what is best suited to their needs? I remember skiing on 2m skis when much shorter skis would have been far better.
I think the widest skis that I have tried were no more than 90mm under foot but the pressure that I felt on the side of my leg when carving on piste made them quite uncomfortable, yet I see dozens of people on really fat skis that never seem to go offpiste.
listen to what others rave about, then ignore it and buy what you like skiing on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Do a lot of people buy what others are raving about rather than what is best suited to their needs?

clearly, yes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tangowaggon, I think you've summed it up well for some people. A lot of people buy off the net without skiing them which whilst sometimes is hard not to is a bit like buying a car without test drive, you just wouldn't.

That said, absolutely nothing wrong with reading reviews on the net to make some kind of shortlist.

I've never seen the point of going wider than 80mm on piste other than if your looking for that one ski quiver, but then you start to sacrifice.

Likewise I've always skied short, drilled in from my racing days and I don't feel the need to go longer for stability. Same goes for offpiste, I'm on a 179 rockered, some would say is too short, but I still float (and crash Happy ) just fine Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy