Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resorts for Early December Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will be traveling to the Alps on my Honeymoon and looking for some good recommendations of resorts with guaranteed snow during the second week of December. As we'll be spending time in Munich/Innsbruck we'll unfortunately have to limit our options to Austria, Northern Italy and far east Switzerland. We're looking for the quintessential alps ski town with good intermediate runs but it seems like our options are limited during this time of year.

Finding that Solden, Ischgl & Obergurgl are our best bets for snow, but not crazy about those villages. Lech looks like a great option for a beautiful resort but is it likely they'll have snow this time of year? Looking for any and all recommendations for good skiing (intermediates) at pretty resorts! Also, any thoughts on Cortina this time of year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Second week of December is low season.
Just wait December and choose resort at last minute, then you will be able to understand snow conditions.
From you list.
Obergurgl during this part of year will be good. Empty slopes. Very small village - just few hotels.
Lech - it will heavily depends from snow conditions. Nice village.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen might be a good choice for a base - good proper town with decent range of hotels. For skiing you'd probably be heading up to the glacier every day, which is a bit of a drive. Kaprun might be worth checking out too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't wait till the last minute, then check out these "Top Tens", which I posted recently on a similar thread:

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cervinia might be an option too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Lech looks like a great option for a beautiful resort but is it likely they'll have snow this time of year?

I've done a few Christmases in Lech the last few years (arriving 21st, 22nd) and they were unfortunately pretty awful. 2014 there was only one lift open and about two runs. Seems to be getting worse each year. I defintely would avoid it in early December. I think I'd book last minute, like a previous poster recommended
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Booking last minute is the way to go, as above. Lech, St Anton and particularly St Christoph (Arlberg) would normally have snow at that time IME, but as the last two winters have shown, it's not guaranteed. You won't have any difficulty finding accommodation a couple of days before at that time of year.

Ischgl would probably be my choice. What don't you like about the village? It's not the prettiest, but I don't think it's unattractive.

You could also look at the glaciers. Stay in Neustift (or Innsbruck, if you're there anyway) and ski Stubai.

If you're talking about guaranteed snow in the village (as opposed to just on the mountain), Kuhtai and Obergurgl would be your best choices. I think Kuhtai normally opens first or second week of Dec, but not 100% on that. Obergurgl opens mid November.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
If you can't wait till the last minute, then check out these "Top Tens", which I posted recently on a similar thread:

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/

That's a really useful list.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure why Les Deux Alpes isn't included. Largest skiable glacier in Europe with skiing up to 3600m. Lots of skiing above 2600m.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoping the snowgods do the business in Schladming in Dec 16th!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
Not sure why Les Deux Alpes isn't included. Largest skiable glacier in Europe with skiing up to 3600m. Lots of skiing above 2600m.

Quote:
As we'll be spending time in Munich/Innsbruck we'll unfortunately have to limit our options to Austria, Northern Italy and far east Switzerland.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Deedee, Fair point 😔 Although I was alluding to the list linked to above.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bormio north Italy opens the last weekend of November. The snow cannons will have been going every night since early November.
On piste skiing should be good to very good. Off piste is dependent on the weather gods.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Claude B, It is "Top 10 early season ski resorts - Europe" "Number 10 - Les 2 Alpes"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy