Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traffic on the odd X mas and New Year dates

Poster: A snowHead
As we know Xmas and New Year fall on weekends and holiday dates are "variable" shall we say!

Will the traffic be as hideous on Sat 24th as a normal Saturday or will the strange holiday dates thin it out a bit?

Cheers

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have made all our dates fully flexible but I suspect most property owners won't have that flexibility due changeover contracts, etc.

So business as usual...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Philip1972, good question. I suspect nobody really knows at this stage - but IME the pre-Christmas transfer day is not one of the worst. Though last time I drove from Geneva to the ski resorts on the evening of Christmas Eve the traffic out of Geneva to the Bardonnex border crossing was bad - worst I've ever seen, with miles of stationary vehicles. Once through the border post I had no further problems. (Well, if I remember rightly it was snowing quite heavily in the mountains, but I never see that as a problem!!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks.

I usually never go near a road on a Saturday, but the daughter wants picking up in Geneva on our way from Calais to Tignes Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Philip1972, Will you not get stung for the vignette thingy, by driving in to Geneva? My dad picked us up from Geneva, the year before last (they drive, we fly), and he had to pay it. Last season we just got a transfer, as it was easier, but then again we were going to Avoriaz, and not as far as Tignes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@porkpiefox, When I read your reply I realised I would have buy one, yes.

She is getting the train from Zurich to Geneva, and I have just looked and she can get from Zurich to Dijon instead. Much better for us as we drive past anyway and now the added bonus of no vignette!

You just saved me £40 whoop whoop
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Philip1972, Finally, I've done something useful today Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Philip1972, how much extra has it cost your daughter? Laughing

It looks like we're going to be out over Christmas, but could be flexible as to when we head out and come home. A combination of flight costs and trying to work out whether we can avoid traffic jams will decide when we go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hammerite, If she can afford to live in Zurich city centre, she can afford the train fare Twisted Evil

I can be flexible too, and I was going to drive through the Friday night and get to Tignes early. However, I think I will stop on the way overnight and then mooch along and get there later in the day instead, hopefully after the traffic has died down.

I will just stay a day later instead! (And she can get the bus back lol)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@porkpiefox @Philip1972 You can get out of Geneva airport without paying the vignette, just have to avoid the motorway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AllyK wrote:
@porkpiefox @Philip1972 You can get out of Geneva airport without paying the vignette, just have to avoid the motorway.

I'm sure I've been in/out without a vignette but on the M-way. I recollect having read somwhere that this was permitted..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah you just have to do the main roads instead of the motorway. The French sector of the airport is in Fernie Voltaire so as long as you ignore signs for the airport and follow those instead you won't need the vignette!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bertie bassett, definitely not permitted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bertie bassett, you might have managed it, but it's not permitted.

We have ended up with vignettes on both our cars this year as we brought mine back in March having already got a vignette on the other one. Really because I was going to be here on my own for a couple of weeks in April after OH returned to UK, and I wimped out of being left here with his hybrid car after we had an issue with it one day in January. That was resolved after reading the instruction manual, as the last resort...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a map showing the possible routes to Geneva airport.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
There is a map showing the possible routes to Geneva airport.

Of some of the possible routes. Their recommended non autoroute route is not too bad off peak but there are some real pinch points when things start to build. Route de Meyrin is not bad, same for Viaduc de l'Ecu but it really blocks at the Lancy cross roads then on the St Julien road. Sneaky people take the Route de Base to avoid Plan-les-Oates (I think it is no right turn at the xroads though), rejoining the St Ju. road just before the border.

It is quite simple to get in and out without a permit but if you do it at peak times: 7-9am, 12-2 or 5-7pm during weekdays Geneva is a bit of a mare even on the smallest country back lanes. Meyrin road might be ok to cross back into France now the huge works are over. You get straight onto the fast Bellegarde autoroute but then it doesn't really go anywhere useful. I used to like Aire la Ville (to cross the Rhone) then cross country to St Ju but you need a good GPS Happy

Whatever you do, if you decide to blag it and don't take a permit don't get off the autoroute at St Julien as this is a favourite place for the police to catch frauders. Get off at Bernex then cross country to St Julien.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy