Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saltzburg car rental

Poster: A snowHead
@andy, link to database please
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry I must have misunderstood, I didn’t realise it was just the number plate recognition.
A family member who lives in Vienna is looking into this for me as well, but he is also under the impression that the rental company should be making people aware that if their cars aren’t fitted with a vignette, then you have to purchase one to travel down the motorway
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx,
https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/digital-vignette/faq-digital-vignette/
https://evidenz.asfinag.at/en/

(I've not used it - was just reading FAQs ages ago when I was trying to decide on conventional or digital for a previous trip, including digital toll on the Brenner)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've hired from Buchbinder at Salzburg the last two years, first time I used them I asked whether I would need a vignette and they told me the car comes with one, and both cars I've hired from them have. It sounds like they screwed up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tricky one this... I can see it from both sides.

The new system of digital vignettes came in to practise at the beginning of last year.
Cars registered on this system do not need to display a vignette sticker.
So if you are worried, you may need to check the database above before setting off!

Vignettes are valid for the entire year they are displayed + the following January.
Annual vignettes are not sold for 12 months but just by the year date (eg. 2018 + January 2019)

Shorter durations have the start and end date punched into the sticker.

IMO a vignette is 'value added'. It is nothing but a bonus if your vehicle has one.
Liken it to Autoroute tolls or the Dartford crossing etc... etc... You don't expect the rental company to pay for those (or the Tauern Tunnel on the A1 Autobahn).
Before you drive on any Autobahn there are signs stating you need a vignette and that it is a toll road.
Most sat navs also say that you will need to go on a toll road if you are using the Autobahn.
Of course, if you asked in the office if the car had a vignette before setting out then this is a different situation. But I would be incredibly surprised if the car rental company will accept liability for this..... sorry!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Updated situation:-

I have just received an email from the general manager of Megadrive at Salzburg airport stating that “all of their vehicles rented at Salzburg Airport must be provided with a valid Austrian vignette”
He has apologised for my inconvenience and will personally take up the matter with the relevant authorities.
Well at least that’s a €300 charge I won’t have to pay, but it’s a valuable lesson I have learned. Not to be quite so blasé, having never checked in maybe 7/8 times previously that I have rented a car in Austria.
Thanks for all the replies 👍🏻
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Redman77, perhaps let the authorities know yourself so they don't pursue you?

@flangesax, didn't know annuals were valid for Jan as well - we'll be hiring Dec into Jan again this year - so good to know
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="holidayloverxx"]@Redman77, perhaps let the authorities know yourself so they don't pursue you?

@holidayloverxx haha thanks for the tip, but don’t worry, they were first on my list even before I told my wife about the email from Megadrive 😁
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Redman77 wrote:
Updated situation:-

I have just received an email from the general manager of Megadrive at Salzburg airport stating that “all of their vehicles rented at Salzburg Airport must be provided with a valid Austrian vignette”
He has apologised for my inconvenience and will personally take up the matter with the relevant authorities.
Well at least that’s a €300 charge I won’t have to pay, but it’s a valuable lesson I have learned. Not to be quite so blasé, having never checked in maybe 7/8 times previously that I have rented a car in Austria.
Thanks for all the replies 👍🏻

That is great to here! Especially as I think it is MegaDrive we have booked with (again through a middle man)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:

That is great to here! Especially as I think it is MegaDrive we have booked with (again through a middle man)

@NickyJ
Yeah it’s a big relief for myself, but I have now learnt a very valuable lesson, and not be blasé about the situation.
I have to add though, I have used Megadrive on previous occasions without incident, and they have sorted this situation out very swiftly as well, so I can only praise them 👍🏻
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem I think is that until recently the cars themselves had a visible sticker on the windscreen showing the vignette. I think thats stopped now, so even if you ask the company, they can tell you it has one, but unless you see physical evidence, your still taking their word for it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem I think is that until recently the cars themselves had a visible sticker on the windscreen showing the vignette. I think thats stopped now, so even if you ask the company, they can tell you it has one, but unless you see physical evidence, your still taking their word for it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jafa, or you can check the database that Andy links to above
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've rented cars many times in Austria and Germany, the Austrian ones always came with vignettes, I always ask beforehand to be sure. In Germany, Munich, the cars didn't have them, and it was up to me to get one at the border.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thread resurrection for probably a stupid question...

Looking at renting a car at Salzburg airport for 2 people travelling with their own skis and a bit of luggage, what's the minimum size car we book?
snow conditions
@Riccardo, a Polo or Fabia will take it easily, with the rear seat split and folded down and the skis run diagonally. I wouldn't go much smaller unless your skis and legs are short. Definitely don't get a Smart car or a Fiat 500...
snow report
Cheers @ousekjarr, both over 6ft so long legs and skis, I'll deselect the Minis.
snow report
Worst case is the passenger sits on 1/3rd of the rear seat, you pull the front passenger seat all the way forward (or lie it flat if it will) to allow the skis to fit in, and then pack everything else around that. With two lanky people, it's not so easy - ever considered surgery, or snow blades? wink
snow report
Not blades no.

I didn't really appreciate how niggly transporting your own skis was going to be.
ski holidays
So, to follow up...

By the time I booked, the price of the compacts were within €30 of the cheapest station wagon so l booked myself an Astra estate from Budget. When i got to the desk, the staff were lovely but kept peering over the counter to check how big my ski bag was. The upshot being an upgrade to a brand new BMW 520d auto estate which is a lot of car. Cool

Maybe a bit too much car tbh Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy