Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor snow conditions at Chill Factore cause cancellation of British Indoor Ski Cross

Poster: A snowHead
At last weeks British Indoor and Anglo Welsh champs the snow conditions at Chill Factore were heavily criticised. It appears to have got worse and a decision has been made to cancel the British Indoor Ski Cross champs next weekend. Detail is in short supply but there are rumours that their snow-making capability has failed and can't be repaired before mid-September. I know of several people who have lost out financially through booking non-refundable rates in local hotels.

Poor show from Chill Factore.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
English Ski & Boarder Cross Championships facebook page wrote:
URGENT NOTICE :
It is with regret that the ERSA Open Challenge Race and the British Indoor Ski and Snowboard Cross Championships, scheduled to take place at Chill Factore, Manchester over the weekend of 27th/28th August have been postponed. The postponement is due to organisers of both events agreeing that the races can not be delivered to an accepted standard and safety as a result of the snow conditions at Chill Factore. Organisers are working in partnership with Chill Factore to identify a new date however refunds will be offered to all participants. ERSA, organisers for the Saturday event will contact those entered directly.

We are deeply sorry and hope you understand that we must always put safety first

Chill Factore not saying much... Any scope for Tamworth to pick it up?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
letsgetpiste wrote:
Chill Factore not saying much... Any scope for Tamworth to pick it up?

Probably too late for this coming weekend.

Clearly CFe have an issue but they are keeping it very quiet. Many competitors described the conditions last weekend as dangerous and it is lucky no-one sustained serious injuries.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What exactly is wrong with the snow?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PaulC1984 wrote:
What exactly is wrong with the snow?

Last weekend it was like sand, it just wouldn't bind together.

I haven't been to Tamworth for a long time but I don't think they are able to make enough snow to build a skier cross course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats not good. Had a similar problem when the slope first opened and all the snow ended up at the bottom of the slope with all the glycol pipes showing through!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They've not been very forthcoming about the cause of the problems, or the state of the snow at any given time, but after a few messages they said they are doing a 'snow scrape' - and have finally put up some details about the dates and times of it.

So anyone looking to visit during September, be aware there will be weeks when only half the slope is in operation, and visibility will be limited at times (cannons on during the day).

Should all be finished in time for the sH ski test though snowHead

http://www.chillfactore.com/whats-on/news/new-snow-is-on-the-way/

Quote:
To do this, we need to change the snow on one half of the slope at a time. This means there will only be half the main slope available for public use on:

Monday 12th - Friday 16th September
Monday 26th - Friday 30th September

We are also refreshing the snow on our beginner slope, which means for a few days we won't be able to offer sledging and Sledge-o-Mania within our Snow Park, during the following dates.

Monday 5th - Friday 9th September

Please note - that the snow cannons will be on throughout the day and this can effect visibility.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there last week with my young lad and it was awful.
The left 1/2 of the slope has been taken over by a park with the right side piled high with crappy snow on the edges and bullet blue ice down the centre of the run.

Not good at all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not that it was exactly in a great state before... In fact, from certain horrible mnemories earlier this year, crappy snow and blue ice sums it up rather well!
Annoying, though: was just gearing up for several day trips before end Sept., including lessons & coaching. Hey ho - will have to phone & check what they're still running. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will be there this weekend, will report back on the conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is somewhat of a relief to me. I was there a couple of weeks ago and left after half an hour as I wasn't enjoying it. I thought I'd reached the stage in life where I need to be on great snow in a beautiful setting to enjoy skiing. I just assumed this is what indoor slopes are like these day and it was no longer for me.
Maybe I need to give it another go when it's fixed. I'm not sure what was wrong with the snow, as I'm no expert but it just wasn't easy, or enjoyable to ski on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have to say I was up skiing in glasgow dome at the weekend and the snow conditions are ace. my god can your rip it up (for a dome!) smooth down the middle, deeper to the right, and bumpy on the left after race training had trashed the slope Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think ChillF have shot themselves in the foot with this a bit - they've not been admitting to issues, and so people visiting recently leave with a poor impression, and probably think it's normal.

On the plus side, they do seem to have stepped up their game over the summer in terms of keeping their events calendar updated, so it's easier to work out when you can visit without half the slope being blocked off for something or other...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, looking forward to hearing your report. They have a sale on at the minute so I'm going to book a session for early October, after the scrape is finished I hope and snow quality restored!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PaulC1984 wrote:
Have to say I was up skiing in glasgow dome at the weekend and the snow conditions are ace. my god can your rip it up (for a dome!) smooth down the middle, deeper to the right, and bumpy on the left after race training had trashed the slope Happy

Glad you liked it, and we actually thought snow was relatively poor on Sunday! There had been a big freestyle comp on Saturday so a lot of snow movement before and after, leaving the base thinner than usual and a softer top surface. In race we set only brush markers to minimise further deterioration.
snow conditions
The half of the slope with new snow was really nice, we were mostly on the old half but got a few runs on the good side on Sunday afternoon.

The old half was horrible, the bases of my skis were the colour of the stuff that comes out of your nose after a day in London.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
The half of the slope with new snow was really nice, we were mostly on the old half but got a few runs on the good side on Sunday afternoon.

The old half was horrible, the bases of my skis were the colour of the stuff that comes out of your nose after a day in London.

I heard the same thing (virtually word for word) from another snowHead on Thursday.
latest report
rjs wrote:

Laughing Laughing Bleurgh! spoo But great description.

Good to hear the new snow is helping. Assuming the other half gets done on schedule next week, it should be all good for the ski test.

I doubt I'll make it there myself until the day before the ski test, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Was there today. Quite busy (courses & lessons mainly) and of course only half the slope usable.
Initially I thought that the new snow was really nice, fast and not the usual big piles - but soon realised that was because there's only a very thin top layer on top of a lot of ice Sad
By 11am the dip flatter bit had very visible ice, by later on it was a lot more scraped off in many general lower areas. A few scary sudden losses of grip ensued Sad I thought that it was starting to show ice in places higher up too, and someone on, I think, an Instructor course had a nasty fall in one of the places where I'd had problems (maybe, didn't see it happen) - hope they're OK.
ski holidays
Save your money and do the real thing, I don't get fridges, been to most of them in UK and they're all lousy IMO. If you like them sorry but I'd give up if that's all there was! Overpriced, dangerous and too short. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Save your money and do the real thing, I don't get fridges, been to most of them in UK and they're all lousy IMO. If you like them sorry but I'd give up if that's all there was! Overpriced, dangerous and too short. rolling eyes

Can't fault you there - but could you please suggest where I can go several weeks or times a week or month throughout April to December within an hour or so's drive of my home in order to practice, sort out boots, etc, etc? Or else how to organise and afford several weeks to months every year in a suitably-snowy English-speaking place where I and Mr G can also live and enjoy ourselves in the non-snowy months? (And yes I have seriously considered moving to Scotland). Please let me know, seriously. I really want to do that Confused
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
... but I'd give up if that's all there was!
Me too. But you can say that about any number of sporting activities:

Would we play golf if there were no courses, just driving ranges?
Would we play tennis if there were no courts, just hitting a ball against a wall?
Go cycling if there were only exercise bikes?
Go walking if there was only a trip around the block?
Go running if there were only treadmills?

No, of course not.

But in each case the artificial training environment has a value, especially if used with a purpose such as focused practice or to be coached. Substitutes they are not, but they can help you be better at what you love, should you choose.
ski holidays
balernoStu wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Glad you liked it, and we actually thought snow was relatively poor on Sunday! There had been a big freestyle comp on Saturday so a lot of snow movement before and after, leaving the base thinner than usual and a softer top surface. In race we set only brush markers to minimise further deterioration.

Well it was a little softer than last time we went but still very nice!! Just had to practice SR Turns in deeper softer stuff, its always fun to practice different things. Plus its good practice for my mini me to learn to ski in softer stuff before we take him away Happy

Do you work there then?
ski holidays
just to move the topic away from this place in particular ( they hadn't finished building it when i left manchester) and onto fridges in general,(this seems to be where the discussion was migrating)

i was originally planning to go for 2hrs a month from may-december, to keep up with my practise in the off season. so thats 8- 2 hour trips at my local fridge- hemel hempstead. That would cost roughly £240 ( £30 for 2hrs midweek, not in holiday times) & fuel, drinks etc afterwards, just to go down the same small track over and over.

i worked out (and have booked) to go to morzine instead for 2 days skiing, which is costing me £255 (flights, lift pass, ski hire, transfers, accommodation) + spending money

in my opinion, i will learn a lot more and gain a lot more experience from two days unleashed in the ports du soleil than going to hemel to repeat a run which takes a few seconds and then a wait for a button lift which then stops most of the time at some point on the way up, then once you get to the top, you have to get through the line of snowboarders who seem to spend all evening simply looking down and getting in the way, but thats another story!

so essentially while i do appreciate that these places are good for total beginners to learn the basics of skiing under tuition, much better value can be had by going to europe and actually skiing. so for the above posters who argue there is nothing better that can be had at a regular basis within range of your home- i agree. but would you not be better off spending the time you would have in the snow dome working in the gym on fitness programmes which will benefit your skiing massively , then using the money you have saved not going to the snow dome on an extra short ski break in the alps?
snow conditions
@mikeholmes25, I Kind of agree with you but not really Happy

Granted skiing on a mountain can only be replicated by erm.... skiing on a mountain. Same goes for off piste.

HOWEVER

to suggest gym work all year, then 2 days of skiing will get you to the same level some one who will ski regularly in a dome is simply not true.

Most people reasons for skiing in a fridge is to either learn, or keep their technique up or because its a good laugh with the kids / mates (later for me).

Ive spent all of my youth and most of my adult life in domes, and I can hold my own, as can all the kids that race / freestyle - all learnt in a fridge and we have some fantastic talent coming from UK slopes / fridges.

That said, there is a level at which you need a mountain to progress your skills (not many 1/4 pipes indoors Happy )

See I told you I agree, kind of ;-P
snow conditions
Oh and then there is commitments, getting time off, families, etc etc to consider Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, @Grizzler, wasn't trying to be rude, I guess I can see the merit in family's going and getting used to equipment and such, it'll take a few days off their upcoming holidays. It's the hoards of yoofs hurtling down (boarders ime) and I just can't see that it is giving them any skills training. Ok if it's a quiet 10.30am slot and it's super quiet and a teacher is doing turns training etc then that works I guess.

For me my summer training is hill walking, mountain biking, road biking, gym classes and real stuff and I tend to treat skiing as my winter thing and whilst it remains my favourite sport I try put it on one side and do other sports to build up muscle strength kind of assuming that technique returns in winter, which it pretty much does when back on snow.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Do you work there then?

Just a couple of sessions a week: Sunday morning for the race club, and Tuesday evening. We start at 9:15 on Sunday so usually get pretty good conditions and the slope to ourselves, at least to start with!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mikeholmes25 wrote:

i was originally planning to go for 2hrs a month from may-december, to keep up with my practise in the off season. so thats 8- 2 hour trips at my local fridge- hemel hempstead. That would cost roughly £240 ( £30 for 2hrs midweek, not in holiday times) & fuel, drinks etc afterwards, just to go down the same small track over and over.

On that basis I'd agree it's not good value, BUT that's pretty much the most expensive way of doing it. This summer I'm currently averaging about £2 an hour at Hemel for lift pass time - and that includes free tea and coffee. Even during the season I was only paying about £5 an hour. Sure it gets busy sometimes but at other times I've literally been the only person on the slope.
Obviously not everyone's circumstances make using it like that possible, but if you can then it is possible to get excellent value.
ski holidays
@Tubaski,

You must go there a hell of a lot! Fair play to you for making it work though, do you not get bored?
snow report
mikeholmes25 wrote:
@Tubaski,

You must go there a hell of a lot! Fair play to you for making it work though, do you not get bored?

I hope not wink

His skiing has improved significantly over the last four or five months of skiing at Hemel.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@rob@rar, @Grizzler, wasn't trying to be rude, ...
Didn't think you were Happy I was simply trying to illustrate a point which I think sometimes gets missed when talking about indoor ski slopes. They are most certainly not a substitute for skiing on a mountain. Not even close. My tolerance for "free skiing" on a short indoor slope is about 30 minutes. But if you think of them in a different way, as a training or practice venue, then they can be extremely helpful. Obviously there are compromises because it's a short, relatively gentle slope, but with the correct approach even very experienced skiers can help develop their skiing at times when it is impossible, for a range of reasons, to head to the mountains.
snow report
mikeholmes25 wrote:
@Tubaski,

Quite a lot(!) - I'm up to about 150 hours since May. Although that is not just lift pass time, it includes a few clinics with Inside Out , so I've had plenty of drills from @rob@rar to practice! Honestly, the only time I get bored is when there are long queues for the lift (and I generally manage to avoid those times). I think so long as you have a focus there is something to keep your mind busy. I guess I'd say I primarily go there to work on my skiing rather than going there to ski (if you see the distinction).

@rob@rar wrote:
His skiing has improved significantly over the last four or five months of skiing at Hemel.

Embarassed
I have to say that I have had fine tuition from Rob!
latest report
So how is the snow at chill factore now then?
latest report
manicpb wrote:
So how is the snow at chill factore now then?

Haven't been since the other day, but I've decided (in a positively-framed mindset) just to decide that it's good practice for the horrid, crud-lumped, artificial, ice-scored stuff which I might well find at half of the (cheapie) European resorts which I'm likely to end up early or late season Smile Smile wink
Well, have to agree with a lot of the posters above, it ain't much cop (or fun) except that when you haven't any other option (for whatever reason) it's better than nowt.
latest report
Has anyone been in the last few days? Just spotted this on their facebook feed:

Quote:
We’ve enjoyed the fresh new snow, so much here at Chill Factore, that we’ve decided to let it carry on falling for the next few weeks.
During 9:30am until 3:30pm on the below dates, only half of the main slope will be available for public use, whilst it snows:
* Monday 3rd until Friday 7th October
* Monday 10th until Wednesday 12th October
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause….however this does mean MORE, FRESH, NEW SNOW for you to enjoy! Hurrah!

The cynic in me is wondering if the 'fresh snow' already put down hasn't actually done as good a job as expected, and so they need to keep going... Or it could genuinely be that they've had great feedback on the new snow, so are keeping going!
ski holidays
I went on Monday night, they have now completely renewed the snow across the main and beginner slopes, there is now 3 feet of lovely fresh powder!
Okay maybe not quite those conditions but it is a lot better than before. Much smoother and quicker and no ice on the slopes. How long it will stay that way is another question...

They still have a lot of deals on so it's a good time to go. If you are a member you can get an unlimited pass in October for £35! My 5year old Charlie has just had 3 x 1hr 50min group lessons for £50 - but he was the only one in his group so he has had 3 private lessons! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@pablito69, thanks for the update, that sounds really good Smile I'll hopefully be there for a couple of hours on Saturday, and then of course the Oktobertest on Sunday!

If they do keep pumping out more snow over the next couple of weeks it should hopefully hold up for a while.
snow report
The new snow certainly looks good from the viewing balcony and I've been spectating most of the summer and I've seen a definite improvement visually. I'm on the slope Saturday early doors, trying not to be outdone by my 4 year old grandson who's in a lesson......fingers crossed as he's kind of thrown the gauntlet down ha ha
snow report
The snow there is fine, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy