Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VW Vans, 4x4s and Snow Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
It's been a while. It was so long ago that I posted about 'how to move to the alps' that I actually now live in the alps! Well, the bottom of them to be precise. Haute Savoie 74. Annecy ish.

Anyhoo...came over in the VW T4 camper which is still registered on a 365 day euro insurance from the UK. Who knows, we might end up back there before we know it. So 2 Qs here. 1..I need breakdown of some kind. Had a UK-EU arrangement which has just expired. What do you guys do? Pay £2k for all year cover? (not happening) or....is there an alternative? A bit like with AA it's the driver who is covered. Is there anything like that in France?

Q no. 2...will my Ruby the VW T4 1.9 handle mountain roads? I'll be driving around with a 10 year old so safety is paramount. Am considering selling (tears) my beloved Ruby and betraying her with one of these 4x4 Panda contraptions (becuase everyone says Ruby won't manage).

Does anyone have a super sensible opinion on this please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alyefs wrote:
. 1..I need breakdown of some kind.

There isn't a direct French equivalent of the AA. If people take breakdown cover they get it as part of their car insurance or a special policy like Europe Assistance: http://www.europ-assistance.fr/fr/automobile/mobilem-auto-moto

alyefs wrote:

Q no. 2...will my Ruby the VW T4 1.9 handle mountain roads?

yes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Good re van. The van is registered in UK at my UK address. So the Europ-assitance won't be suitable I'm guessing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADAC , the German AA equivalent is highly recommended, they do pan European cover, very popular with caravanners as they cover caravans up to 7.5m. But British people have had problems joining due to complaints from our AA!
But with a French address & presumably Bank account, you might be ok.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for ADAC!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alyefs, How old are you? My UK car insurance with Saga gives me unlimited European Insurance and Breakdown through AA at a reasonable price.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why would your VW have any problems?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winter tyres and chains, keep the VW....dismiss thoughts of the Panda
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Stuart Collins & Co. for all-year European insurance and roadside assistance provided by Axa.
Buy four of the best snow tyres you can afford. They are what makes the difference.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are going to be travelling regularly on high mountain roads buy a set of chains and practice fitting them on a warm sunny day.

This makes it a virtual certainty that you will never need them.

But if you do - well you are a goood little boy scout. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TQA wrote:
But if you do - well you are a goood little boy scout. Very Happy

If you really want to earn that badge, practice while your ten year old gives you a vigorous soaking with the garden hose. You'll get really good, and you'll always have a willing training partner!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last winter our transfer from Chambery to Les Arcs was in a VW T5 as an owner of a T5 California I had a good chat with the driver. I assumed as he worked in the Alps the vehicle was 4 motion, but no the driver said it was front wheel drive with winter tyres and chains for bad weather and he'd never had any problems. Don't sell the T4.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, it'll be fine with winter tyres and chains. What do you think all those French tradesmen drive around in? If you live in France is it not legally required that your vehicle is registered locally?

And check the insurance, too - it's very uncommon to have UK based insurance on a car and driver living out of the country all year. You could find small print biting you on the ankle if there were a problem.

Don't have the 10 year old soaking you with a hose. Practice with the chains at night, with him and his mates whizzing past close by on their bikes. No frisson of danger with a hose......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
If you live in France is it not legally required that your vehicle is registered locally?

Yes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
£2 grand, blimey, you need to phone Safeguard.

We go skiing for 2 months in our £35k motorhome, full european insurance and breakdown (over 3.5t), unlimited mileage, £327 this year. The only difficulty I can see for you would be that euro cover is for "temporary" visits.
latest report
pam w wrote:
No frisson of danger with a hose......

Laughing

But yeah... seriously. Got to register the car if you're staying more than six months and will need a “controle technique” (MOT thingy) and might need to change your directional beams
latest report
Just get yourself a decent set of chains 15 secs no problem on a van after a bit of practice, and once in a very pressurised situation with a snow plough bearing down on me, this was me a few years back first time with them.

http://youtube.com/v/DV8wEyGLksw

Now contemplating chopping van in and going for a 4x4 VW Amorok
snow report
I've ridden a T4 camper, and I have ridden the alps. Just not at the same time! Think it depends on the model of the T4. I had a '96 Trooper 1.9l, on the Bealach-na-ba (the most alpine of uk roads) it struggled. Slowed enough in 2nd gear that I had to do more than I would have liked in first. Seemed underpowered when fully laden. Swapped this spring for a T4 '98 Clubman 2.4l, still struggles on long up hills. Totally different from a T4 van (as driven by local tradesmen) they will go anywhere. So will the campers, just a lot slower- maybe in first gear. Empty the water tanks and fill up when you get there.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, looked at buying an Amorok, realised it would be a status buy, really not worth the asking price.
ski holidays
@dode, thing is German "status" buys hold their price, unlike others.

I'm just finishing a year early my lease finance on another VW "status" buy, a Transporter Kombi - settlement figure after three years is £15.2k - I'm now selling it as a private sale (37,500 mls) and I'll get closer to £19,500, so as a canny Scott sure you appreciate that!

And the same now hold's true for the Amoroks.

Though going from Van man to Builder Man is a bit of a dilemma.

Van I get to put three bikes in no problem, and can use it as a changing room when kiting etc

But OH does not like driving it. Looked at another Discovery but don't like the idea of various sets of skis in the inside of the vehicle. Today actually stopped someone with a Disco to ask to stick a cardboard ski box in to take a look wink

Did consider 4x4 motion transporter but spending nigh on six months of the year in the Alps thought Amorok to be better option especially in the summer months when driving off road as with a van you tend to be more aware of the clearance issues that a van suffers from.

And I've done nigh on five years in various vans and know the pitfalls.

So yes agreed "status" but you get what you pay for and better returns Cool
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Transporters hold value coz their well built fwd vans. Market for second hand pick ups is only shoddy builders who think they done good and have a personal plate to disguise the age.
snow report
I drove many miles around the Alps in a 1.9 T5 van without any problem. I cant vouch for the T4 but the T5 has very low 1st gear, has bags of traction and was very easy to drive even with six adults, luggage, rook box etc. Just take it easy!!!
ski holidays
Question about snow chains for 4x4's. One or two sets? If one set is enough Front or Rear?
latest report
@chrise1967, Front and rear to be extra sure but generally only front if one set. However, it would have to be truly abysmal conditions for a 4x4 with winter tyres to need chains.
ski holidays
Snow tyres more important than chains.
ski holidays
If anyone is considering just buying M&S tyres for year round use take note that from 1st Jan 2018 they will no longer meet the requirement as winter tyres in Germany, and thus anyone travelling through to ski in Austria etc. Only proper winter tyres with the 3 Peaks Mountain Snowflake symbol will do.

http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/04/germany-to-tighten-winter-tyre-rules/
snow report
@chrise1967 Usually AWD / 4WD vehicles only have chains on the main drive wheels i.e. one set. Most vehicles have one pair of wheels which are biased to carry the main drive force. This is often the rears - on 4WD, but always check your Owner's Manual, or with a dealer. If it's a performance model (not really relevant for the OP's van) then be aware that chains may not be certified for your spec' - there may not be enough room for them to rotate, especially if they're a bit loose. Again, this is specified in the Owner's Manual. Example: On my A3 its factory 18" wheels couldn't take chains, but the 17" wheels could. On my little Peugeot 206 the factory 14" wheels take chains, no problem.

Most experienced chain retailers can check your car's spec and wheels and tell you if it's certified. Be careful buying them off-the-shelf without checking your manufacturer's certification first. And be suspicious if a retailer says "They should fit OK" or "Try them out first." they need to guarantee they are the right size and that your particular spec' can take them.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 19-08-16 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

I'm just finishing a year early my lease finance on another VW "status" buy, a Transporter Kombi - settlement figure after three years is £15.2k - I'm now selling it as a private sale (37,500 mls) and I'll get closer to £19,500, so as a canny Scott sure you appreciate that!

nice deal there @Weathercam, we bought the '96 plate Trooper four years ago for £7.5k, sold it a month ago (to the first couple that saw it, without advertising) for £10k. Vdubs do hold value very well, and the price of campers is increasing all the time, I'm sure we could have got £12k if we were prepared to wait it out. We did look into hiring it out, as we could get £600ish/week, but after speaking to folk that did this we decided against it. They had damage from almost 50% of hirers. The thought of our all original pride and joy getting bits repeatedly broken would have been too much for the OH to bear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chrise1967, If you're going for any length of time (i.e. >1 week) and/or expecting to use vehicle intensively, consider snow (or new hybrid) tyres.
latest report
Change of plan, after much soul searching I'm remaining van man, just so feckin practical for the stuff I do, as well as transporting all my toys it's my changing room etc when kiting.

But I did like the idea of 4WD that's why I'm getting a quote on a 4WD van Cool
ski holidays
@Weathercam, what was the original price of the Kombi? These days they look quite expensive if you go for something more than 'builder' spec.
ski holidays
@Gaza, can't quite remember the exact figure, but dug this up from an old email. Basically my four years comes up next year - so even selling next year I would get more than the final balloon payment.

Deposit £2000+VAT followed by 47 payments of £286+VAT with a final Balloon of £10,372+VAT.
snow report
Wow, that's a lot of money! What's the advantage to buying a vehicle that way? How much would it cost if you could pay cash up front?

The VW vans do seem the best - my brother in law puts huge mileages on his work vans and always has a Caddy.
snow report
@pam w, even with a VW Kombi buy it new and instant depreciation - contract lease no real money up front and then monthly payments, leaving your cash in the bank as it were - plus as I've already mentioned very advantageous terms when selling after the third year exchanging for a new van.

Fifteen or so years ago I bought a two year old Disco for circa 23k and each year the money in it just fizzled away - to make new vehicles work you need to turn them over every two to three years or go down the lease route.

Oh and the more obvious point I claim some back against tax, after all Style Altitude is a registered business, and I need a van to maintain our property "portfolio" Cool
latest report
I'm a bit of a VW nut ...
I've spent so many hours, days, weeks, months,
fixing my old Type 2 air cooled, I knew it pretty much inside out.

I've got a T5 now and its so reliable that it has no soul.

Anyway get a full set of winter tyres and a pair of chains that I guarantee you will need at some point to get you out of trouble.

4 wheel drive is nice to have, but you can get really stuck with a 4x4.

Get a really good battery while you are about it.

Its very depressing having to get hold of these things when you really really need them.
snow conditions
I just bought an early T5. Doing a conversion on it next month. Not the full kitchen and cabinets, etc, just getting it lined and insulated and a couple of windows put in. Any tips on anything else i should get? I was debating a rock and roll bed but they don`t look that comfy and they`re pretty expensive. I`d also like some kind of storage that i can put my skis and other stuff in to.
snow conditions
More insulation, less windows. Get a latex reflex foam mattress. Very cheap, rolls up and delivered in a roll. Unrolls and expands to full normal size mattress. Super comfortable. (I also have a 3 inch memory foam topper which I put on spring based mattresses. I would not go back to spring based mattresses now, even if it means I have to change the mattress more often)

Build a box under the bed to store skis. The higher the bed height, the warmer you will be. Keep a basin for the cold air to fall to in the van (like an igloo basin for cold air).

Maybe add a urinal, or a portaloo.

Some heating?
snow report
@Deedee, rock'n'roll beds are surprisingly comfy. What you should fit depends on your budget and what you will use it for really. Curtains/fly screens and tables are probably essential.
Leisure battery for habitation lighting?
Hook up socket for 110v.
Poptop roof so you can stand up in the back, need to put skis in a tailgate rack if you did.
Not sure how far north you are, but getting gas might be a good idea for heating. (It will also serve to heat a water heater, work fridge, allow a hob/grill... depending on how far you want to go.)

Plenty of dedicated vw forums and conversion sites out there for ideas/advice.
snow conditions
In reply to OP, go to the local tourist office, and obtain the number of the local garagiste. That is who would come out anyway if you broke down. Maybe get a collection of such numbers. Be prepared for a long wait. Having somewhere to sleep would be useful while you wait.

Front wheel drive with snow chains are sufficient. Do not drive if weather conditions are bad. Have good tread.

NehNeh
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:
...........Do not drive if weather conditions are bad........

You obviously don't do first lifts on a powder day, and I'm not talking "Blue Sky"!!

Quite often if it's still snowing hard and there's been a big overnight dump that means digging the van out and then reversing out in order to take a more gentle road down to the main road and then driving to the lifts. The main access roads are kept pretty clear and local residential roads are often cleared by 09:30.

Though most tourists are still faffing without the right gear to even dig their vehicle out.

Only trouble, you bust a gut and then arrive at the lift to find it closed due to avalanche control etc, though more often than not lower lifts are open so you choose your lifts carefully Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy