Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing Völkl Mantra (2010)

Poster: A snowHead
Thoughts?

The current Mantra is squirrelly, unstable and downright unpleasant.

We got on OK with the Bonafide but they were a bit un-lively.

I am reading good things about Nordica Enforcer, both 93 and 100.

Both of us about 5'6" and me about 62 kgs, herself a bit lighter. Both Skied about 40-45 years, done seasons, raced a wee bit. Ski anything swiftly and (I would hope) gracefully.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stormrider 95
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, good shout. Now, where to test early season ...?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blizzard Bonafide is the new Völkl Mantra.

http://www.blizzard-ski.com/products/bonafide/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitedot R98
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Whitedot R98

No metal in the Whitedots so not gnar enough for the wee laddie Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah but he's getting on a bit....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Haggis_Trap, we tried the Bonafides (back to back vs Mantras as it happened) and they were generally fine, but just a bit ummmh, lifeless.

Not to say they weren't a good ski - and very confidence inspiring, i.e. going straight up to maximum warp as soon as setting off (it was a quiet, well groomed sort of day).

Just not playful the way our Mantras were.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kendo ? Folks last season were saying its the new Mantra - also like rocking horse pooh to get in Utah shops, where as they had racks full of Mantras.

Just a thought to try. I do like mine wink and hated the Mantra so much I took em back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
Thoughts?

The current Mantra is squirrelly, unstable and downright unpleasant.

We got on OK with the Bonafide but they were a bit un-lively.

I am reading good things about Nordica Enforcer, both 93 and 100.

Both of us about 5'6" and me about 62 kgs, herself a bit lighter. Both Skied about 40-45 years, done seasons, raced a wee bit. Ski anything swiftly and (I would hope) gracefully.

What about the Volkl 90eight? I haven't skied them and don't know they compare with the revised Mantra (they do have some camber, unlike the Mantras)), but I've read some good comments.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I don't know what lengths you prefer, but these may be of interest...

http://www.downskis.com/shop/showdown-95-2016

Never skied them, but I understand the construction is the same as my CD114s from last season. Powerful, smooth and silky.

There's also a 202cm version if you've been missing the feel of your DH boards wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
202cm!!

I have never had the chance/ Abilty.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, try the Whitedot r108, skis like a Mantra but much lighter. We ski the carbon but the trad is maybe better if you like tge Mantra. I had 3 pairs of Mantras and at the time rated them but really like the WD's. The latter Mantras weren't great IMO, moved over to WD a few years ago and I don't miss the Mantras one bit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones, the Kendo is slimmer and I believe equally de-powered compared to previous.

@clarky999, @Markymark29, interesting suggestions , I think I know where I can demo some WDs. Not so sure about the Downs.

I don't need 202s, my 203 SGs are quite adequate thank you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, There's Whitedot demo skis in Cham at Echobase. The Ranger referred to above has had a name change and is also available in a narrower width underoot so it's the R.98 (as Dave mentioned above) or the R.108. Both are available in either a traditional or Carbonlite construction. The CL has more pop/rebound and the trad is about as damp as you can get for a non metal lay-up - but neither as as punchy as your Mantra.

For your stats & short BSL when demo'ing the R.108 move the bindings forward about 15-20mm in front of the FR line. The R.98 will be spot on on the FR line.

Modern designs with less camber/tip rocker have moved against you hence your dislike of the later Mantra's. It's going to be hard to find a mid fat old style Mantra type ski these days as that design/constructuon is only really available in piste skis.

Stormrider 95 is probably the nearest but even that has been tamed compared to a few years ago.
snow report
@spyderjon, thanks, I knew Jim had WDs but not sure of models. I'll take ´em for a spin Happy
snow conditions
@spyderjon,
Quote:
It's going to be hard to find a mid fat old style Mantra type ski these days as that design/constructuon is only really available in piste skis
Like Völkl RTM 81 or 84? I only ask because I also have a pair of 2010 Mantras, and am now spending almost all my time on and off piste on the RTMs, which I find to be just as good in Euro-pow and better on piste. Of course they are rockered, so it's hard to compare directly.
snow report
@under a new name, for the Downs, one of the guys in based in Geneva (Carouges). I met him in a pub for a drink once to have a look at his skis Laughing Picked them up from him at the start of the winter too so I could avoid delivery and take them straight to the PSB.

Drop them an email and ask about test options, they might have something available.
latest report
May not have all the qualities you are after (especially if you like a mid to long radius) but if calling into Echobase have some fun by giving the WD Preachers a go. Fat ski with big camber and masses of pop
snow report
@spyderjon, your comment about design moving against me resonates. And I am not the only one - I know quite a few people with my sort of history who don't appreciate the - shall we say - dumbing down of skis.

Thanks, @fixx.

Biggest problem of course, is time. At the right time.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

@clarky999, @Markymark29, interesting suggestions , I think I know where I can demo some WDs. Not so sure about the Downs.

In previous years I think Down have had demos at a shop called Concept (or something like that) in Cham, but by the time they'd have the new skis the pre-sale would be over and they'd be €150 more expensive.

But you're in Geneva right? Gregor (Down cofounder) lives there too, so may have prototypes or something you could take a look at. His email is gregor AT downskis.com if you're interested.
snow report
@clarky999, my brother in law works in Concept and knows very well what we like and how we ski, I'm pretty sure he'd have suggested them if he thought we'd approve...

I had a vague feeling I had seen some there.
snow report
@under a new name, understood, but this is the first narrower ski they've made that isn't touring specific (and the 2nd year using metal). I wouldn't have recommended their previous skis to you either.
snow conditions
Ah, I see. Interesting. I shall ask when I next get around to talking skis with him.
ski holidays
Down skis were only in Concept for 1 season, they don't have a deal with them anymore.

I heard it was something to do with Concept not liking the promos Down were occasionally running through their own website, which Concept couldn't match. But that was a couple of years ago, and my time in Chamonix normally also involves decent quantities of alcohol ( Embarassed ) so memory might not be too reliable.

@clarky999, yep, it was Gregor I always met, top guy.
latest report
@fixx, that would explain my vague memories of Down at CP. The single season thing, not the alcohol. Obviously. Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy