Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lots of snowboarding questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Everytime I think I'm sorted for snowboarding in les arcs next month I go on this website and leave baffled!! and as for the avalanche news I just read - eeek! that sort of stuff only happens offpiste right? not on nice beginner slopes?!
so i thought I'd ask you guys some questions as you seem to know your stuff.
I've bought some wrist, elbow and knee pads - but they were cheap skateboarding ones - will they be okay or should I invest in some good ones?
Also, i am very keen for myself and my daredevil boyfriend (you know the sort!)to wear helmets but they seem pretty pricey - can we hire them in the resorts? and for how much-ish? or can we get cheaper non-brand ones anywhere?
I like the idea of these bum pads - but with the handmade ones how do you secure them to yourself??
Okay - I think thats about it - Hope you don't mind me asking such dumb questions!
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
claireybella, welcom, the Roach posts on here and his site http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ carrys lots of discount stuff. I haven't heard any negatives on his shop so have a look.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Da Kine wrist guards (about £12), Rollerblades knee guards(about£Cool & Dainese protector shorts(about £60).

I've found them all to be comfortable & hardwearing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Dianese protector shorts are a must in my opinion especially when learning. The only thing you need to ensure is that your ski pants will fit over them and it can have the tendency to make you look rather larger in that department!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth, depends on whether you walk, wiggle or mince Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, depends on how much I have drunk Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
claireybella, Masque is a font of good advice and is always willing to help neewbies across the road wink Methinks scoring late Karma points for earlier misgivings?

However, be sure not to invest loads of money in your 1st trip, unless ur loaded. Skate ones will do the job. If this is your first time away then bum pads are a desired item to have in your armoury, more so then wrists and knee perhaps? If you have the dollar then I suggest the Red series from Burton. I've taken some serious hits and my tuch has been the least of my concerns. Otherwise fashion your own from camping mats. Masque, you must have a Scholl anti-stink cut-out footbed type link for this by now?

In short, just be sure to keep warm and have an excellent time away. You will!

Cryptic: Church pews are not only for the heatheners. Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar, cheers Puzzled what's the term "dammed with faint praise" wink As for stinky feet, just piddle on them.

There used to be a guy at Norfolk dryslope that made butt pads from HD foam (thick camping mat. He cut it in a fat butterfly shape so when you folded it in half across, the 'body' covered your waist to tailbone and the wings covered your hips and cheeks and extended a bit down your pants leg. with a belt threaded through at the fold and the rest duct-taped together it certainly worked well enough for learning.

AHHA ... I knew it'd come back to me Cindy's Butt! http://www.sport-protection.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16158&cat=250&page=1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, I've never seen a manga posed butt pad before. As to weeing on whatever.... I hope you have scrapbook of posts for your youngerlings. As a man I refuse to put duct-tape anywhere near my bod, claireybella, you may not wish to show this thread to beau as he'll spend the beer budget on butt protection and put all the beer on Credit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saxabar, A but pad or impact shorts has got to be worth a few beers as anyone who's had to poop with a broken sacrum/coccyx will tell you Shocked

Duct-tape ... a man's sakwax Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Viscereal or what! Hate to be crude, but, no lady has ever complained about testy pubes. Anyway, this dialogue is out of my remit Shocked

As a Burton sponsored boarder I've never had to worry about sacrum/coccyx (Masque, ?, this page, 2006) problems, they take care of all anal problems. What I resent is the fiery stick they insist on branding me with. No wonder the young boy wonder Shaun White's hair turned red.

Is this a retroviral hair colourant, anyone interested. Anyone got a 'brand' name for this?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saxabar wrote:
As a Burton sponsored boarder
Hmmmm . . . free kit, free travel, nubile young ladeeez throwing themselves at your (hirsute) body . . . have you any idea how much we all hate you now wink

But seriously, a broken butt is not something to look forward to, so newbies need a safe intro into our sport.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
claireybella, if you bought skateboarding wrist gaurds make sure you can get you gloves over them. Also i've seen a few people now go for the intergrated gloves/wrist gaurds as wearing seperates has ended up in buying a new pair of gloves halfway through the week due to wear in areas that aren't strong enough to cope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh and helmets, yes you can normally hire them now. But make sure they fit correctly, don't buy over the web as every manufacturer is slightly different............it took me 2 years (about 4/5 trips) to find one that fitted my strange shaped bonse!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dan wrote:
oh and helmets, yes you can normally hire them now. But make sure they fit correctly, don't buy over the web as every manufacturer is slightly different............it took me 2 years (about 4/5 trips) to find one that fitted my strange shaped bonse!

I've got a Red Synth helmet, very good fit with detachable inner liners for washing etc, has vent holes in the top as well. They don't make it anymore but I think this is the closest related version now, although they do make cheaper ones:

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/707411||@c@bRed|0|user|1,0,0,1|7|

Might seem a tad expensive but this is without doubt the best purchase i've ever made when it comes to snowboarding gear - has saved me more than once now from a nasty injury, th e latest only 3 days ago after a massive stack after hitting an unexpected bump at the bottom of a dip in a run at Les Arcs. I took off and ploughed into the hard snow like a kamikaze pilot....luckily nothing broken just a mass of bruises and pulled muscles!

I'd say that a helmet should be your first consideration, especially if you are going anywhere other than somewhere with lots of lovely deep snow to fall in! snowboarding + ice = pain.... wink
snow report
zippy, Although there are reports to the contrary a helmet is probably the most important piece of kit after the board itself. However, question: do you wear one? I have one but never wear it unless I know I'm going to be trying new stuff. I suspect most boarders are similar? For a newbie butt protection or a portable 3 piece sofa would be higher up on the list of 'must buy'.

I'm sure I saw an ad saying that DFS have sale on.
snow report
saxabar wrote:
zippy, Although there are reports to the contrary a helmet is probably the most important piece of kit after the board itself. However, question: do you wear one? I have one but never wear it unless I know I'm going to be trying new stuff. I suspect most boarders are similar? For a newbie butt protection or a portable 3 piece sofa would be higher up on the list of 'must buy'.

I'm sure I saw an ad saying that DFS have sale on.

I've got butt pads and a helmet and I wear both every single time i go out, simply because all it takes is a patch of ice on an otherwise perfect slope and you are in trouble.

I think that you have to differentiate safety gear from the 'core' snowboarding gear. I'd say that yes the snowboard itself is the most important 'non-safety' item you can buy - and I know from my own experience just how much my snowboarding technique improved once i bought my own board rather than hiring one - but from a safety perspective, IMHO butt pads are nowhere near as critical to life protection as a helmet.

Certainly when I was starting out I spent more time falling over than I do now, and in my trip last week I was able to recover from dodgy ice patches rather than just stacking it, but for a newbie I'd strongly recommend both items at all times!

The helmet\non-helmet debate has raged for ages and I suspect will never be resolved, but from my perspective I'd never go boarding without a helmet - safety first and all that. But that's my opinion and my decision and I have no problem whatsoever with cool cats who don't wear one. God knows I look like a plum when I wear it!!! Laughing
snow conditions
My girlfriend was hit by someone one ski on the weekend and was glad that she was wearing a helmet. She got hit with a ski in the head and one pole in the sunglasses.

And I found the knee pads & wrist guards really good too and wished again I had a proper bum pad, so maybe I get one for the next time.
snow conditions
Well, the full kit would be Helmet, wristguards, elbow pads, knee pads, bum pad, back protector. And you'll look and feel like Michelin Man!

I wear a helmet all the time and it's saved me a few times e.g. my skier friend skiing over my head, head butting trees and falling on ice, rag doll down the mountain etc etc. Also, I don't seem to have suffered whiplash since having the helmet, I think perhaps that extra bit of padding behind the head helps the neck not stretching back as far.

Depending on conditions I'll sometimes put on knee and elbow pads.

Hate wristguards, but that's a personal thing and they do save a wrist injuries, just find them really uncomfortable.

Only time I'd ever wear all of the above would be in a Boardercross.

For begginers would definately recommend elbow, knee and bum pads if the conditions are hardpacked or icy.

Meg Very Happy
latest report
I haven't bothered with wrist guards yet, I tend to try and fall backwards onto elbows and butt pads, or forwards onto knees where i have knee pads - so far so good! not sure why I haven't given my safety first approach in other respects, but there you go....
latest report
I found that wrist guards come more into their own when you move away from the nursery slopes... I found that they gave more protection (and confidence) when moving at speed and you use your hands to stop yourself wiping out.... usually for me when a turn to toe edge gets away from me and end up facing up mountain ready to body slam the slope Laughing Embarassed . I've learned when falling backwards to use my elbows to try and protect my body rather than use hands/arms.. though not always possible snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy