Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Vantage 100 CTI or Bonafides or Nordica Enforcers??

Poster: A snowHead
I think I am going to go mad ....
I have been watching scores of videos and reading endless reviews and my brain has turned into guacamole ......!
I am 56 .. about 160lb and 5ft 7 ish and have been skiing since the mid 80s. I like to go quick but am no racer.
I have a pair of 168mm Atomic Theory skis which I am pretty happy with ... but ...
I want to get a bit more adventurous in my old age. I did a backcountry course with Snoworks last year to hone my off piste skills ... loved it ... and now want to include a bit of touring.
So I need a new set of skis ... 'all mountain' as I can't afford/justify a big 'quiver' ... with touring bindings and a bit longer for flotation and stability
I have decided on the Marker Tour F10 bindings as I will not be doing anything extreme, a couple of hours skinning max, and I am not that heavy. They should also work fine on piste as well.
After much, and I mean much, research, I have narrowed my ski choice down to, the Atomic Vantage 100 CTIs, the Blizzard Bonafides, or the Nordica Enforcers, at a length of about 180cm. All of these get great reviews being excellent in pretty much all conditions. Stiff enough to carve well but wide and rockered enough to float in powder.
I know I am never going to be able to try these skis one after another to make a reasonable comparison .... and I wouldn't really trust my first impressions ... and I wouldn't be lucky enough to try them in every snow condition anyway.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these skis and could give me any words of wisdom?
I would be most grateful.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Accidentaly posted twice

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 5-08-16 22:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@FoofyNoo, congrats on your homework - that's a great shortlist! Smile
Like you, last year I was torn between the same models (+ Volkl Mantra).

Are you aware of the Snowheads October ski test at all?

There's SnowHeads ski test on the 08.10. in Hemel Hempstead, so there may well be there some/all of the models you're interested in.
The same test helped me decide last year.
I went with the Bonafide, but then I'm a Superheavyweight Very Happy (it's a rather stiff ski)! You, being a Supermiddleweight, according to all the reviews, the Enforcer or possibly the Vantage 100 should suit you better (they are both softer than the Bonafide).
But the ski test should definitively help you decide.

Good luck & have fun shopping! snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 5-08-16 22:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the old Enforcers, I am still using them 8 years after buying, they have been an amazing ski. Swapped the bindings to the Atomic Tracker so I can tour on them as well. I did do a review on here after demoing them over 3 days against the Mantra and the Black Crow Navis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa wrote:
I have the old Enforcers, I am still using them 8 years after buying, they have been an amazing ski. Swapped the bindings to the Atomic Tracker so I can tour on them as well. I did do a review on here after demoing them over 3 days against the Mantra and the Black Crow Navis.

Thanks Scarpa .. read your review ... yup, that's one more big tick for the Enforcers. The only caveat is ... these are old style skis ... the Atomics are lighter with newer technology giving stiffness without weight gain ... are the Enforcers the past and the Atomics the future .... ?

Snowglider ... thanks... it's funny that you should mention the Mantras. They just fell off the end of my list ... but only just. Good idea about Hemel but there are particularly good discounts around at the moment and I am slightly worried that I might miss out if I wait that long.

My friend has the Bonafides and loves them, says it's like skiing on rails, but he is a few stone heavier than me, and an Italian who grew up in the mountains so is capable of pushing them really hard. I remember years ago buying a pair of Volkl P10s which were so stiff that, with my lesser weight, would suspend me between moguls. I learn't a big lesson not to go for a super stiff ski as I would never be able to bend it into any shape to do anything. I could happily go for something a bit stiffer than my Theorys AND a bit longer especially as skis with rockers tend to ski shorter.
The Atomic Advantage 100 CTIs have titanium in them and a carbon mesh making them stiffer and more stable than the Theorys without gaining too much weight ... and they are still described as 'playful and responsive with a lot of pop'.
As usual I am asking a lot from one ski ... the addition of touring bindings shows that I am really keen to get off piste. In fact piste skiing is becoming very much less exciting for me than it used to be. BUT I would be really disappointed if when I ventured back on piste my skis behaved like boats. Whenever I see anyone on piste trying to carve on floppy super-wide powder skis I cringe.
You probably are surmising correctly that I am edging towards the Atomics but there are still a few caveats in my head...

Atomics ... I already have a pair of 95mm Atomics .... wouldn't it be a bit boring to buy another pair ...
Enforcers .... old technology but unbelievably popular ... bit heavier.
Bonafides ... would love the stability but really worried that I am not man enough for them, especially as I am still not 100% confident off-piste ... even with the new carbon tips reducing the swing weight.

To paraphrase a biblical principle ... the more you know the more it hurts. I think this applies here.
Also, years ago I skied in Alpe D'Huez with a Canadian ski instructor who was skiing on a pair of the most floppy skis I had ever seen with the front 20cm of one of ski broken just being held on by the edges ..... and he skied and looked better on those than I will ever do .... makes you think!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Bonafides ski short, I'd think the 180s overkill.

For touring they're a bit heavy and the Zero-Gs apparently ski much the same without the weight penalty.

No idea re the others.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FoofyNoo, My main off piste ski these days is the Atomic Bentchetler, they are pretty nimble for a 120mm ski, actually great fun in most conditions even on piste. I keep the Enforcers these days for my back up ski, for thin conditions or rocky gullies. You really need to arrange a back to back demo Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FoofyNoo, Ah P10s how we loved them ... mine were yellow and probably far too long for me at 195cm
But I thought I was God on them.
Then I rented something else one week which made skiing easy.
After that the P10s felt like a pair of railway lines.

I should have kept them for sledge runners.

I dont go off piste much at all really, certainly not touring.
I find that my state of mind and how much the sun is shining matters more than the skis I'm on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FoofyNoo wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Thanks Scarpa .. read your review ... yup, that's one more big tick for the Enforcers. The only caveat is ... these are old style skis ... the Atomics are lighter with newer technology giving stiffness without weight gain ... are the Enforcers the past and the Atomics the future .... ?

The Enforcers are hardly old tech - they were updated for last season!

Lots of companies are going back to heavy metal skis these days. It's not about stiffness to weight, it's about dampness - a heavy damp ski will always go through chopped up cruddy snow better than even the the stiffest/dampest light ski.

It sounds like realistically you're not going to be touring much (max 20% of the time?) so I think your list is pretty good. I like Nordica so I'd probably lean towards the Enforcers, then the Blizzards, and Atomic last (but that's not really based on much other than gut feel and the style of skis they normally make).

Blizzard's ZeroG line and Black Crows' Freebird line might be worth looking into - essentially lightened touring versions of their all mountain skis.

Down skis also have their pre-sale on right now, and the CountDown 104 could be just what you're looking for: http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104-2016
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn, Yup my P10s were 195s and way too long for me as well .... but it always seemed in those days your ski length was a measure of your manhood ... in ALL senses!

@Clarky999, thanks, another tick for the enforcers I think. As you correctly surmised, I recon I will be trying to ski about 40% on piste [as quick as safe], 40% lift served off piste, and 20% touring with skins ... with a bit of cat/heliskiing thrown in [please God].
As you suggested I checked out the reviews of the Zero-Gs, the Freebird and the CountDown ... they all look like great skis but maybe a bit light for piste charging? More for touring?

I have noticed with my skiing that the quality/enjoyment is more a factor of how relaxed I am rather than how technically aware I am. So any ski that inspires confidence would do it for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FoofyNoo, yep that's correct - so then back to your list! Enforcer has the metal and weight to be smooth, stable and damp, but isn't overly stiff from memory (haven't skied them, just hand flexed in a shop, but I used to own the Soul Rider which was the Enforcer without metal and with a twintip).

Here's another review: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2015-2016-nordica-enforcer-2
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FoofyNoo, what I hear, from someone who is reliable, and I'll back up myself early season is that the Zero-Gs are just as good for on piste. Just probably not as long lasting.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FoofyNoo, have you thought about Whitedot? Spyderjon at the Piste Office has some great deals on some old stock. I think he's got some R.98 which might suit you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FoofyNoo, what @clarky999 said.
The NEW Enforcer was completely overhauled and was a totally new ski last year. It received raving reviews, but I ruled it out as it wasn't stiff enough for me. (Also partly because they were in such high demand that they flew out of the shops at lightening speed, and those who had it in stock were charging near RRP price).

They are a wee bit softer than the others on your shortlist and I'm going by nothing more than a hunch, but I have a feeling that you'd get on with them mighty fine, as I really read lots and lots of reviews on them (I was keen), and the people who praised them the most tended to be similar weight to yours.

Shame that the end of season prices are forcing you to make a decision now, rather than weight for the test. But if you have to buy blind, there's a strong chance that that is your ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's the difference between the Enforcer and the NRGY ? I was looking at both yesterday and other than the topsheet they looked very similar.
snow report
I have decided .... I am pulling the pin on the Enforcers ...
Reasons .. a combination of everyone's excellent helpful advice here and the many positive reviews all around the net ... if I got a lighter ski than this, however good it was, there would always be a part of my mind that would be thinking that I would have been more stable on Enforcers [I know the Bonafides are even more stable but not appropriate for someone of my weight] ..... but mainly, having checked out all the suggested alternatives, no other ski has produced the level of enthusiasm. When described in reviews the much repeated word is 'fun'. I am not interested in breaking land speed records or skiing deathly steep couloirs where dedicated, task specific, skis are preferable. I ski because it puts a massive smile on my face. Any ski that encourages that in any conditions has my vote.
I am getting the Marker Tour F12s rather than the F10 bindings only because I can get a better deal and the weight increase is negligible.
I will report my findings when I have had a chance to check them out.
Thanks all!
ski holidays
There is nothing quite like having a new pair of skis in bed with you as you snuggle up and pray for August deep powder.
You can imagine the thrills they will take you though across rock hard ice, and through waist deep powder as you fondle the bindings and run your fingers across the smooth silky bases enticing your senses with the sweet scent of P-Tex.

Ah young love.
snow conditions
@FoofyNoo, to the exremely limited extent that you can choose skis remotely, fair enough.

But why Bonafides inappropriate for your weight Puzzled surely just dial up and down length as needed
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
There is nothing quite like having a new pair of skis in bed with you as you snuggle up and pray for August deep powder.
You can imagine the thrills they will take you though across rock hard ice, and through waist deep powder as you fondle the bindings and run your fingers across the smooth silky bases enticing your senses with the sweet scent of P-Tex.

Ah young love.

OOh ... I think I have just arrived .........

Blimey ... I just thought it was just me that was weird! Excellent!

My wife thinks I am obsessed ... I was tending to agree with her until I went on a Snoworks backcountry course in St Anton in Jan this year and realized that I am but a beginner in the ways of ski and immediately set my sights on Japan ... and possibly Chile ... and possibly ......
I think skiing is so addictive because it is the antithesis of what I do for the rest of the year AND it is not ubiquitously accessible.
Also I am 56 but have a mental age of 4 .....
ALSO ... when you get to my age many avenues of enjoyment start becoming unobtainable ...... thankfully skiing isn't one of them!

@ under a new name Understood, but I want a bit of length to float
latest report
FoofyNoo wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Ah young love.

OOh ... I think I have just arrived .........

Blimey ... I just thought it was just me that was weird! Excellent!

My wife thinks I am obsessed ... I was tending to agree with her until I went on a Snoworks backcountry course in St Anton in Jan this year and realized that I am but a beginner in the ways of ski and immediately set my sights on Japan ... and possibly Chile ... and possibly ......
I think skiing is so addictive because it is the antithesis of what I do for the rest of the year AND it is not ubiquitously accessible.
Also I am 56 but have a mental age of 4 .....
ALSO ... when you get to my age many avenues of enjoyment start becoming unobtainable ...... thankfully skiing isn't one of them!

@ under a new name Understood, but I want a bit of length to float

If you weren't you, you'd be me.....I'm 56, have a mental age of 4, am weird by any measure....and my wife thinks (knows) I'm obsessed. Unfortunately, I'm held together with four screws and various lengths of Kinesiology Tape!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy