Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots - Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum so please take it easy Smile

My old race boots (circa 1997) are way too uncomfortable for all day use, so I'm looking for something a little more foot friendly. I'm an experienced skier of many years, but these days I only get to ski maybe 1 week per year plus a few token gesture outings to the MK snowdome. Therefore my feet are not usually piste ready when it comes to the annual thrashing. So the full-on super stiff race boots are finally going in the bin.

So what to replace them with? I've briefly tried on the latest Salomon X-Wave 10 and Nordica Speedmachine 10. Of these, the Nordica was the most instantly comfortable. I'm also interested in the Salomon Ellipse 9 and Nordica GTS 10 for even more trade off of performance for comfort, but I haven't had chance to try these yet.

Most importantly, anyone know of a good boot fitter in the Milton Keynes or Northampton area? I went to Ellis Brigham in the X-Scape centre, but wasn't overly impressed - seemed too crowded to get decent service. Any comments on the above boots would also be helpful. Particularly anyone moving from race boots to the more comfort oriented models. I've got fairly wide feet so anything inherently narrow fitting is out of the question.

Thanks,
Pete.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I've got fairly wide feet so anything inherently narrow fitting is out of the question.

Where ever you go please remember that any decent boot shop will be able to customise a boot fiitting for you. Custom insoles and , if necessary, stretch a boot that may be narrow.

I had two different experiences at Ellis Brighams, in the north. Purchased a set of XWaves, a tad narrow but not that noticeable until worn for several hours. By that time was on holiday. When I put them back on this year, and really had a good opportunity to prepare, the issue returned. Went back to EB's they recommended that a see (Julian, i think) EB boot man at xscape, Castlefield. After new inserts, a boot stretch, they're like slippers! Many hours xscape still they're great! Good luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pete
welcome to snow heads
i have just bought a pair of nordica speed machines found them very comfortable apart from a black toenail problem(see thread) but have just been back to snow and rock to have the toe pocket blown out a bit so fingers crossed for verbier on the 2 feb.
you need to go to s+r or ellis brigham midweek when there is no rush or try profeet in london as lots of snowHead reccomend them.
try using the search facility in user facilities as there are endless threads on bootfitting that you may find help you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster, welcome to snowHeads. I also have wide feet, and got a a pair of Nordica Beast 12 last season from Profeet. These are the only boots that I've owned which haven't caused severe pain.

Lockwoods boot fitters in Leamington Spa have a good reputation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster, Dito.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone. Profeet sound good, but I'd rather avoid a trip to London if possible. I do want a custom fit rather than just rely on standard fitting. I'm not sure EB are up to that level of service after my first visit there. Perhaps I never got to speak to the main man there. Anyone else had a successful custom boot fit from EB in Milton Keynes? It would be the most convenient option for me if I could trust them to do a thorough job. I'll also look into Lockwoods in Leamington, that's not too far away.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster,

welcome to snowheads,

i would head to Lockwoods, no smoke and mirrors as in some outlets just well trained fitters doing a really good job, give yourself a couple of hours and book an appointment

good luck
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, I'll try and arrange a visit to Lockwoods for the weekend. Many thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yep lockwoods sorted mine when no one else could get close - if you are nearby they are def a good choice!

aj xx
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got mine done in Lockwoods this afternoon, stretched , insoles and remoulded liners....much, much better. I would have to say though that it was quite busy for a Tuesday afternoon, not sure I would fancy my chances on a weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they do not take appointments on Saturdays but use a ticket system, get to the back of the shop, and get a ticket when you arrive, then browse round while you wait, best time is first thing in the morning
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unfortunately I can only get there by around lunchtime on Saturday, so it looks like I'll be in for a long haul.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster, I think there's a pub almost next door...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, or, thinking about it, my brother in law lives a few doors down as well. Pop in for a cup of tea...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Michael, tell him milk, 1 sugar please Smile

I like Leamington actually, very nice town. Hopefully I'll come away with a nice pair of boots on Saturday. Anyone else have a view on the Nordica Speedmachine 10 or GTS 10 or Salomon Ellipse 9 or X-Wave 8/10 or similar? I'm very open minded, since it's nearly a decade since my last new pair of boots. The Nordica seems well suited to my wider than average feet and they felt comfortable when I tried them briefly at EB.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, if Bicester isn't too far for you, you could try Beans - it's a small shop, but the guys are pretty good in it (although not on a par with Profeet)
snow report
Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about Beans. I had my skis serviced there years ago and they did a good job. I think I'll head for Leamington now, but I'll keep Beans in mind as a back-up. Cheers.
snow report
uktrailmonster, In general Salomon and Nordica are the widest boots AFAIK, but if you go to the proper bootfitters then they'll advise you on the right boot for you. If used to race boots you will still need a fairly stiff boot, but modern day comfort is much better!
snow report
uktrailmonster, I have just bought a pair of Salomon X Wave 10 Frees. They're certainly very comfy, and seem to give a lot of control, but it's early days. I have wide feet plus rather prominent bones on the sides of feet below and just in front of the ankles, and the Salomons were a doddle to fit comfortably. It remains to be seen whether I'll need footbeds. I was surprised how much easier they are to flex than my previous boots, which were 130, definitely too stiff for me despite my bulk. They were more comfortable then the Nordicas which the bloke also had mwe try on, because of the width.

I noticed a lot of instructors in Courchevel wearing them; the bloke who flogged them to me said it's because you can wear them all day wothout discomfort (it's probably because they get a discount or something, but I bought it).
snow report
easiski wrote:
uktrailmonster, In general Salomon and Nordica are the widest boots AFAIK, but if you go to the proper bootfitters then they'll advise you on the right boot for you. If used to race boots you will still need a fairly stiff boot, but modern day comfort is much better!

I've found that to be the case historically too, which is why I've owned both in the past. Everything else I've tried seems too narrow across the front, especially Lange (although I haven't tried their latest range). I'm open minded though, so I'll give others a go as advised. I'm looking forward to some of that modern day comfort!
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
uktrailmonster, I have just bought a pair of Salomon X Wave 10 Frees. They're certainly very comfy, and seem to give a lot of control, but it's early days. I have wide feet plus rather prominent bones on the sides of feet below and just in front of the ankles, and the Salomons were a doddle to fit comfortably. It remains to be seen whether I'll need footbeds. I was surprised how much easier they are to flex than my previous boots, which were 130, definitely too stiff for me despite my bulk. They were more comfortable then the Nordicas which the bloke also had mwe try on, because of the width.

I noticed a lot of instructors in Courchevel wearing them; the bloke who flogged them to me said it's because you can wear them all day wothout discomfort (it's probably because they get a discount or something, but I bought it).

I've tried the X-Wave 10s too and found the flex fairly stiff, but not ridiculous. I thought perhaps they were a little too close to my previous race boots in this respect, so I might be tempted to try a slightly softer flexing boot this time around. X-Wave 8 instead maybe? I found them a bit on the tight side around my calves, which is where the Nordicas seemed better - but I have quite big calves from loads of mountain biking.
snow report
I didn't try the X-wave 8; I liked the flex in the 10s (I'm not a great skier, but I am heavy, which apparently makes up for it!). I noticed a big difference in flex between the 10s and my previous Lange 130 flex boots, which, as I said, were really out of my league. Did you try the X Wave 10 Frees or Fast? I have no idea what the difference is (apart from the colour), the flex is the same, but there may be a difference.
ski holidays
Hi everyone. Went to EB in MK and tried the X-Waves but the guy told me to go with Nordica as its better for me. Haven't skied yet but have been wearing around the house and they seem really good. The guy was young and a bit shy but he was the only person who i've spoke to who gave me a good reason for having the size i've got. I did go to Beans and S+R and they did try to put me in bigger sizes than I was put into in EB so we'll see if they've got it right. I think they are, but the X-waves felt too small on my big toe. The bootfitter told me Head boots were wide but didn't try them because I was happy with Nordica so im not sure. Did some research on the Fast/Free boots and apparently its just the colour on the X-wave 8. I cant imagine thats right i reckon the fasts must be stiffer.
snow conditions
Ski4uSki4me, according to the Salomon site, the X wave 10s are the same stiffness in Fast or Free (110). They claim that eac type suits a different type of skiers, but who knows? It's impossible to seperate fact from bullshi!.
snow conditions
richmond, Ski4uSki4me,

they are the same boot in differnent graphics the great salomon marketing machine goes wild
snow conditions
I think the only technical difference between fast and free is that the free has an additional impact absorber of some kind. Probably not a big deal for most people. Although I'm a strong and fairly heavy skier, I'm going to try something substantially softer than my previous race boots. For those who remember the 80's, the last soft boot I owned was the old Salomon SX90! From memory they were pretty comfy, but lacked control. I'm still thinking along the lines of Nordica Speedmachine 10 or GTS 10. Looking forward to trying them all tomorrow Smile Thanks again for all the advice, keep it coming!
snow report
BTW I think those stiffness ratings can be taken with a pinch of salt, at least when compared across different brands. I've tried loads of boots, supposedly of similar flex stiffness, that have been quite obviously very different.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, maybe thats why my new Salomons, 110 flex, are so much more user friendly than my prvious Langes, 130 flex.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is no reason why a race boot should be uncomfortable. They were obviously just either a, not set up properly for you .. or b, they just dont fit your shape of foot.

Dont ever buy boots based on what people say fits them, or the most popular or by the marketing hype. Try every brand, you will find one that fits your shape of foot better than any other.

For recreational skiing dont get a boot thats too stiff, theyre actually counter productive most of the time.

Oh and one thing I always do when buying a boot is get my foot measured and then buy 1/2 or one size smaller. The shop workers will always say that the liners will not compress out, but they do. If you buy a boot that is just comfy in the shop, 6 months down the road your foot will be swimming around inside.

Finally, it always amuses me when people in shops lean forward in shops to 'test the flex' . Absolute waist of time, the boot is at least 20 degress warmer than it should be and therefore the whole boot will not flex properly.
snow report
FunkyDunc, Boot flex ratings are too measured at 23 degrees, ambient temperature. If your flexing different boots at the same temperature this is a good way of advoiding stiffer boots, however stiffer boots can be softened, softer ones can rarley be stiffened. Twisted Evil
snow report
FunkyDunc wrote:
There is no reason why a race boot should be uncomfortable. They were obviously just either a, not set up properly for you .. or b, they just dont fit your shape of foot.

Dont ever buy boots based on what people say fits them, or the most popular or by the marketing hype. Try every brand, you will find one that fits your shape of foot better than any other.

For recreational skiing dont get a boot thats too stiff, theyre actually counter productive most of the time.

Oh and one thing I always do when buying a boot is get my foot measured and then buy 1/2 or one size smaller. The shop workers will always say that the liners will not compress out, but they do. If you buy a boot that is just comfy in the shop, 6 months down the road your foot will be swimming around inside.

Finally, it always amuses me when people in shops lean forward in shops to 'test the flex' . Absolute waist of time, the boot is at least 20 degress warmer than it should be and therefore the whole boot will not flex properly.

Thanks for the advice. I've had all my boots professionally fitted and you can't expect a full-on stiff, low volume, thin-linered race boot to be as comfortable as a recreational boot. Bearable is the best I've achieved with race boots so far! As far as liners compressing out, 6 months down the line for me represents probably 12 years actual time ie. 2 weeks skiing per year. I agree though, you have to allow for a little increase in volume after initial bedding in. Although the flex will feel softer in the shop, all the boots are at the same temperature, so the comparison is still valid. If they feel too stiff in the shop, they're not going to get softer out in the cold. I agree about not going too stiff for recreational skiing. At least there's a lot more choice now!
snow report
Ok, so I went to Lockwoods on Saturday and came away with a pair of Salomon Pro Model Guns. Much softer flex than either the Course race version or X-Wave 10 and surprisingly comfortable for a performance oriented boot. A good close fit with no obvious pressure points in the shop, but I'll reserve judgement on comfort until after a trip to the MK snowdome. I opted for footbeds too, which is a first for me.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Lockwoods, the service was excellent. It wasn't actually very busy for a Saturday afternoon - maybe people think it will be busy and avoid going at that time! I got served within 5 mins.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy