Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice requested re ski service

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just been down to my local Snow & Rock in Chertsey for my annual ski service. The skis are just 10 years old ( I know rolling eyes need replacing). The only change since last year is a new pair of boots.

I asked them to do the service and check that the bindings were OK with the new boots. They said that they could not do the service and binding check for a variety of reasons - that the bindings were too old and therefore " illegal " , and that the life of bindings was 5 years ( is this true? ). Also, and more plausible, that if they done a service this year then the base would be won down too much. And as they give 100% guarantees for the safety of bindings they would not be able to in this instance " should I have an accident and take an action against them ".

I beated a hasty retreat from the shop to assess the situation. Is any of this true?. Are they just trying to get me to buy a new pair of skis - they did ask would I like to have a look around.

Anyways, I do not think that I will buy skis this year as its only 2 weeks to my holiday. Will probably hire a pair and this will enable to to judge perfomance of various models.

Any ideas on buying skis in Austria ( where I will be travelling to ) should I decide to go down this route.

Thanks snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renting skis is not a cheap business, as you likely know. However, There are ski shops in the resorts that will allow you to test skis before buying, or buy rental skis at a discounted price. Both routes should safe you all or part of the rental fee. (Wengen Switserland doesn't charge rental when you buy, either rental skis or new.)

Even if the resorts will have a higher price for skis, together with rental savings its probably cheaper then renting and buying at home.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia,

Well, 10 yrs old skis probably would need replacing and they may be pointing you in this direction, but that also is a rather cynical view to take. They declinded to service your skis as they didn't think they could garauntee the job which is better than taking your money and then renaging on the deal...

I'm no binding expert. I only care that they work ok, if you can be happy that they will do the job required then use them,
In this case hire skis sounds the best solution tho' and if you love then then try and cut a deal....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia wrote:
I asked them to do the service and check that the bindings were OK with the new boots. They said that they could not do the service and binding check for a variety of reasons - that the bindings were too old and therefore " illegal " , and that the life of bindings was 5 years ( is this true? ). Also, and more plausible, that if they done a service this year then the base would be won down too much. And as they give 100% guarantees for the safety of bindings they would not be able to in this instance " should I have an accident and take an action against them ".

I beated a hasty retreat from the shop to assess the situation. Is any of this true?. Are they just trying to get me to buy a new pair of skis - they did ask would I like to have a look around.

"illegal" isn't quite the right word, I believe the manufacturers say they are no longer indemnified. Bascially, if the binding is not on the list, then S&R can't go back to the manufacturer if anything were to go wrong. I'm not certain that it is a 5 year thing, but it is probably close to that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a link to the current indemnified bindings...

http://www.skipressworld.com/indemnification/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys - I'll have a look at that link Foxy snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy