Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help to plan our trip please.

Poster: A snowHead
Calling on the wisdom of snowheads, it's my big 50 next year and I'm hoping to treat the family ( you know, great idea at the time then you look at the price 😄) there is only one week, the first week of April, Easter holidays, my ideal would be Austria, Maria Alm, catered chalet but am concerned that's its late season and it's not that high. Ideally looking for a catered chalet in Austria or a decent apartment/sc chalet, or Italy, would consider France but find it more expensive overall, lift passes, restaurants etc. also considering USA or Canada with an apartment for us all? we usually book TO's as a package as it fits the budget, don't really want to drive. There doesn't seem to be many catered chalets on offer, am I too early? Anyone got any great ideas or suggestions please? snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@feefee, If its Easter you may need to look soon, what level of skiing/ age profile of family (kids teens or 20 somethings?). Apres requirements?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@feefee, http://www.galziglodge.at/en?gclid=CPPH282los4CFcaVGwodnL4KOQ

Not cheap but good things rarely are! Fly to Innsbruck/ Zurich or Munich and private transfer. I know the owners and could put you in touch, seeing them in 2 weeks. Excellent location and lots of bars/ restaurants nearby. Skiing awesome. Never stayed....cant afford it!! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All good skiers, adults, 20's and a teen, some après good but not the main requirement.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@feefee, The above would be perfect then. Private transfer not mad expensive, mini bus.

https://arlbergexpress.com/en/willkommen/

Scheduled flights to Munich (Lfthansa) or Zurich (Swiss), free ski/ boots carriage and cheap prices on LH atm......whats not to like?!

Good luck...... Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, looks stunning, but sadly don't think I can afford it either Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@feefee, Mmm....This is where we stay b&b over the road.....very nice, clean and tidy. Loads of restaurants about and great wellness. You wouldn't be disappointed with this, again gets booked up real quick at Easter.

http://www.hotel-angelika.info/en_index.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you, did a search but don't think it's available? There's a few on booking.com, but I've not really put together a package before, can't seem to find flights just yet, I'll look at the airlines you suggested, are the transfers very long from the airports?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@feefee, Munich 3-3.5 hours (hire a self drive mini bus), Zurich 2-2.5 hours (train also good), Innsbruck (1 hour, train good but not scheduled flights).

If you wanted to talk to Hotel Angelika direct feel free to PM me and i'll give you details, know them well. More likely to get a deal direct, bookings.com wont have much availability (its a necessary evil for the locals and its OK as a guide but better off doing a search via the Arlberg websitehttp://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accomodations/accommodation-search). Just email and they will come straight back at you!

We also frequently stay in St Jakob just down the valley a couple of miles, its on the free ski bus, quieter and cheaper, also look at Petteneu (bit further our still but on free bus and cheaper still. Bit of a compromise re après but maybe suits). Very Happy

PM me if you want, easier than hijacking your thread!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I usually ski in France - Christmas and school break week at Easter for the last few years - but have done bits and pieces in Austria. As a generalisation Austria gets its snow at a little lower altitude. That said it looks to me like Maria Alm is around 800m and the ski are tops out around 1900m - which even accounting for the above seems to low to me. There are of course some higher altitude resorts in Austria. Ischgl for example is somewhere I've researched before that seems to have good altitude.

I have to say when I've looked at self catered apartments I found them expensive in Austria compared to France but then some may argue they are more spacious, better equipment and the welcome more pleasant. On the mountain for sure it's a bit cheaper though I don't generally eat on the mountain and do packed lunches. Bear in mind that the smaller resorts in France are often more welcoming and cheaper. But a lot of those are lower altitude so that may not help.

What sort of budget do you have,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, the hotel looks good but we would have to eat out as no sc facilities? I'll check out the other places you suggested and the link thank you.
@Layne, we've skied France a few times but find the higher resorts lacking in charm? Lift passes and eating out more expensive too. Catered chalets with to's are £900+ pp so I'm gaging cost around that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@feefee, if you're prepared to look at France it might be worth you taking a look at Tignes Les Brevieres - it's the lowest of the Tignes resorts, no bus service at night, but definitely more charm than the main part of Tignes. Low key local apres. We've stayed in Chalet Belvedere (owned by the Chalet Chardons people) and it was very good value as well as decent quality. Plus they have offerings to suit all budgets - prices that week on chalet board in an en suite room in Chalet Hattiers are £547.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@feefee, Yes eating out in the evening but there are many great restaurants within 200m of there and you could book a different one every night. There's a really smart lounge area where we sometimes get a takeaway pizza and take back, beers/ wine from supermarket if we're feeling lazy, they don't mind...but on the whole great places to eat, that's no problem but you'd need to book in advance with a group.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@feefee, Have you thought about self catering? We've found it's a much better option than paying a lot of money to eat worse food that we eat at home. Look at the sums. Ten @ £900 each = £9,000. Find the most luxurious S/C appartment for 10, with en-suites, perhaps even hot tubs and sauna, will probably still cost <£5,000. That leaves you with £4,000, for which you can buy a lot of food.
We went as two families to a large apartment in Les Arcs 2000 at New Year. Everybody mucked in with the shopping, cooking clearing. We ate in every meal - lunch was bread, ham, cheese pate etc with beer and wine, dinner was lasagne, tartiflette, fondue etc (you can usually borrow fondue/raclette sets from reception if it's an expensive apartment) with wine, port, whisky etc. We ate when we felt like, we came and went as we felt like, we dressed for dinner as we felt like, there was loads of hot water for showers. All food and wine for 12 people for one week came to an amazing £35/head.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here are some examples of ski in/ski out apartments available in the French Alps:

http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/

http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/presentation/les-balcons-de-belle-plagne.html

I'm not sure whther you can get similar in Austria.
ski holidays
In France, so not what you asked for, but some Easter availability, access to high skiing. But have a look if you are interested.

http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/2015-16-prices-and-availability/16-17-prices

We went with them in Jan this year and I can not fault them for helpfulness or accuracy of the information they supplied about their accommodation, or the resort!

Train to station just before Bourg St Maurice, or flights or drive.

As it happened we were with Ice and Fire for the first of our two weeks then joined our 20 something grown up sons at St Foy with Small Wonders for the second week. But our offspring would have been happy enough at La Plagne where we have all skied before.
latest report
Yes definitely happy to self cater, I've emailed one in St Anton, if self catering I'd prefer us all to be in one apartment/chalet and if anyone can find me luxury I'll be happy Very Happy what I've found so far for example in St Anton is around £3-4k, struggling to make sense of flights but I think 2k for flights and £500 for transfers? As long as the youngsters can jump on a bus for nightlife that's good, or affordable cabs. We went to Tignes last year, son was working a season 😄 just trying for figure the best value for money that I can afford, I suppose I err on the side of caution with a package as I know we will all be fed and watered, but easily persuaded otherwise if we find the right diy deal, thanks all so far, keep em coming😍
snow conditions
How many people are there in the group?
snow conditions
@Chamcham, theres 7 of us thank you I've looked at those, la Rosiere not an option, been there a few times, la Plagne looks nice but is it snow sure? wink
@CaravanSkier, that looks nice too thank you.
ski holidays
So I need to get my head around flights and transfers, which isn't easy, wonder if I'm too early for some airlines? We would want hold luggage and ski carriage, I know that's really expensive with some of them? Really don't want to drive, done it before but just don't fancy it for this trip.
latest report
Arcs 1950 has apartments big enough for 7, with shared gym, pool, sauna. As snow sure as almost anywhere else in the Alps:

http://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/search?only_residence=0&facette%5Bcountry_region%5D=region_1&facette%5Bdestination%5D%5B%5D=201&facette%5Bdate%5D=2017-04-01&facette%5Bdate_end%5D=2017-04-08&facette%5Bcapacities%5D=7_99

La Plagne has a glacier.
snow conditions
feefee wrote:
So I need to get my head around flights and transfers, which isn't easy, wonder if I'm too early for some airlines? We would want hold luggage and ski carriage, I know that's really expensive with some of them? Really don't want to drive, done it before but just don't fancy it for this trip.

Not too early for most airlines. Usually you can book 360 days-ish ahead. I typically look at Expedia, clicking the filter for direct flights, just to see who flys the route. I believe Easyjet gets listed on Expedia, but not Ryanair (but if you check Ryanair be careful if where the airport actually is...).

Airline baggage info tells you cost of ski carriage. For a lot of airlines you can take skis as you checked baggage allowance. You can always add baggage onto the booking later as well.

Then I look at the resort info and google "transfer from x airport to x resort" to make sure there are options and how long it takes. Otherwise hire car (you would need two) can be similar price. For that I use rentalcars.com.

I tend to book the flight through the actual airlines website. I prefer to have a booking with the actual airline.
snow conditions
Expedia only allows up to 6 passengers, skyscanner shows BA but doesn't show how to add baggage etc, monarch was easy! Around £2-2500 Innsbruck or Salzburg, yet to look at France!
snow report
@feefee, La Plagne accesses high skiing so probably as snow sure as anywhere. We have skied there at Easter and for sure lower areas got a bit slushy in the afternoons on busy bits but thats the way it can be on occasions.

Self catering wise we have used these people http://www.altitude.resalys.com/reservation/cgi/clickbooking.cgi?base_id=altitude&iframe=1&webuser=web_en&display=home and found them very helpful. Again some of their places are easy access by train to BSM or by car.
snow conditions
I just check one adult price on Expedia to see check which airlines fly the route direct. I think BA and other One World Alliance airline (ie Lufthansa) allow skis and boot bag as you checked baggage. Swiss, SAS and other Star Alliance airlines the same or better.
ski holidays
@feefee, are you looking at flights from London?

I would buzz through the list here https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/ to see where you can fly direct to.
snow report
Yes from London.
latest report
Not sure the exact dates you are looking at (8 - 15th April?), but I'm seeing flights to Geneva, Turin, Munich for £100-£135 adult return. Innsbruck and Saltzburg more pricey.

For Ryanair you can only book up to 25 March 2017 right now i.e., 234 days ahead. Not sure if they extend it a day, each day. Or a week or month is suddenly released. But I'd monitor their website. From Stansted you can fly to a number of airports within easy reach of the Alps. But I wouldn't call Ryanair a "treat" Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece, I don't mind slumming it with Ryanair Toofy Grin but I think they rip you off for ski carriage? I'll keep checking, the dates are 1-8 April or 2-9 for some accommodations. Favourite seems to be St Anton and so far Heathrow to Munich with BA is best. The links you are all giving are helpful as its giving me transfer and flight possibilities I would not have known about so thank you everyone Very Happy
snow conditions
@feefee, Carrying skis can be an issue not only on the plane, but also for car hire. Four people with four sets of skis, and luggage, do not fit in a compact four seater hire care, so you end up paying more for a bigger car. If you're arranging taxi transfers, make sure they know you have skis.
As far as I'm aware, only Swiss allow free ski carriage. BA allow if it's your only luggage, but you have to pay if it's your second bag.
ski holidays
Quote:
@Layne, we've skied France a few times but find the higher resorts lacking in charm?

They can do although I think in many cases they are functional and/or have improved a lot. You don't always have to stay that high anyway and there are some good satellite village options. And ultimately it's about the skiing. And especially at the tail end of the season you may to have consider sacrificing charm for more snowsure surroundings.
snow conditions
Quote:
la Plagne looks nice but is it snow sure?

Paradiski is snow sure, I've been there numerous times early and late season.
ski holidays
feefee wrote:

If DIYing and flying, then get the flights sorted first and then find the right resort and accommodation.
ski holidays
Quote:

If DIYing and flying, then get the flights sorted first and then find the right resort and accommodation.

Agree, but Easter gets busy so don't hang about!
ski holidays
How about Sainte Foy? Quite a few English Chalet companies operate there with many offering catering, it's a nice village but fairly small so not a great deal of apres. The snow train is available to Bourg-St-Maurice so no problem with ski/board carriage and luggage weight. It's about 8 hrs on the train either overnight on Friday or Saturday am getting in early evening and a short bus or taxi ride up to the resort.

I'd recommend it to anyone apart from the high mileage motorway skier or the party animal.
snow report
I looked at the train but it's more expensive than flying, that's without getting to London first, plus carrying skis not an option I fancy. It's definitely got to be flying with a minibus transfer that can take our skis, not had an issue before taking skis that way. I've looked at air bnb, and a couple of other sites offering accommodation, but how do you know your booking/money paid is safe? It's kind of all coming together, definitely liking the idea of self catering in a nice apartment and all mucking in to cook, well that lot can, it's my birthday they can spoil me Toofy Grin
snow report
@ChrisP3, Having skied Ste Foy in Jan this year I would be wary of recommending it to good 'piste' skiers. It is a little limited. My 3 20 something sons were bored in the first couple of days, but then we had gone there with the intent of them expanding their knowledge of 'off piste' skiing. It is apparently really good for the 'off piste' stuff and they thoroughly enjoyed that part of the week! They still drove round to Val d'Isere at the end of the week though! I however loved it, as did the beginner in our group, and my husband who no longer feels the need to ski a new mountain every 5 minutes Laughing
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
@ChrisP3, Having skied Ste Foy in Jan this year I would be wary of recommending it to good 'piste' skiers. It is a little limited. My 3 20 something sons were bored in the first couple of days, but then we had gone there with the intent of them expanding their knowledge of 'off piste' skiing. It is apparently really good for the 'off piste' stuff and they thoroughly enjoyed that part of the week! They still drove round to Val d'Isere at the end of the week though! I however loved it, as did the beginner in our group, and my husband who no longer feels the need to ski a new mountain every 5 minutes Laughing

Fair point but as far as I'm concerned it's definitely a case of quality over quantity.

Happy to keep it "exclusive" though! Very Happy
snow conditions
@ChrisP3, Also, Ste Foy is south facing, which means lack of snow could be a problem late season.
ski holidays
I'm taking four seasonnaires, they need mileage! They would love to go back to St Anton so I'm starting my search there. I'm on the case and maybe need to start a new thread re: St Anton? I do love it when a plan comes together Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy