Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Low Volume Flexible Boots -Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Snow Heads!

Hopefully some of you may be able to help me with some boot recommendations...

I currently have a pair of Lange L10 boots in the Race Fit.

I am an advanced skier, Just under 12 Stone. I do a lot of on-piste skiing but am getting more into off-piste powder and I also enjoy moguls. I am not a racer but have previously looked at race type boots purely for the low volume.

I have low volume narrow feet (narrow from toes to heel with med/high instep) which is why I originally bought the Lange L10 Race Fit boots and I also have foam liners for an even closer fit.

My problem is that I want to be able to flex more in the ankles (e.g. for moguls) but this is very difficult in race type boots due to the hard plastic. It also takes me around 20 mins just to to get these boots on in cold weather due to the plastic getting even harder .

Please could you recommend what boots I should try out which are very low volume but give me more flex then my existing boots?

I am considering Dalbello Flexon Pro's with the softer tongue installled (or the Flexon Cross). The 3-part design should also make getting the boots on easier. Are these boots close to the low volume fit of the L10 race fits, or are there any others you would recommend? Is the softer tongue a lot softer or still quite hard?

Being an advanced skier I do not want huge amounts of flex, but having close to zero ankle flex on cold days is really hampering my performance and pushing me into the back seat. Hopefuly some of you will have some good suggestions...

Alternatively perhaps it is possible to soften my existing boots? I already searched for details on softening L10s but couldn't find any information on the web.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea if they still make them, but even if they don't maybe they are related to the Dalbello if the name is anything to go by, but I have a pair of Raichle flexon boots.

They are low volume, have a funny flexy tongue thingy and are supposedly for the more advanced skier. I think that the flexy tongue gives the sort of movement which you are looking for.

Only problem is, they are pink (!) with a bit of yellow for manliness. Mind you, they are getting on for 8 years old or so, so perhaps they are now available in black.

I love em.

d
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
born2ski, I recently had the same issue, The closest non-race boot to fit my feet was the salomon X-wave 10. They were still a bit too loose around the heel and so I choose t have them foamed and am very happy with the result.

Welcome to Snowheads
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got the same problem (though not an advanced skier) and I too have some Flexon Pros. I think Kneissl bought Raichle, so mine are Kneissl Flexon Pros, but then went bust. They have a really good progressive flex and are very low volume, with a good liner. easiski also uses them. I seem to recall that Lockwoods (where I got mine) were buying up all the old stock. Mine are red and silver, so pendodave, obviously bought his to match his romper suit.... wink

Interested to see if the Dalbellos are the same.

And welcome to SH!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't really comment on fit (because it's such a personal thing), but from a flex point of view try the Salomon Pro Model Gun. They are significantly softer than either the Course race version or X-Wave 10. If you're looking for a race fit with a little softer flex, the Pro Model Gun is certainly well worth a look.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lockwoods are definitely worth a try if considering the Raichles.

They replaced one of the ankle screw thingies for me (for free) a couple of years ago, so they'll definitely know what you're after.

In fact, they are a top boot fitting/selecting shop all round - they wouldn't fit me a moulded foot bed because my feet/ankles/knees are at such funny angles that I needed professional help... They were right (the ortho person confirmed it) and Snow and Rock hadn't even raised an eyebrow when I'd got one done there a few years before.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks a lot for all your great advice so far!

It looks like the Dalbello Kryptons are good to try if I can't get hold of any of the old Kryptoms. (and I was so looking forward to skiing in pink boots Very Happy )

I've had some other people recommending the Salomon Pro SC Spaceframe so I'll compare the flex/fit to the other Salomon suggestions above.

Lockwoods sounds like a quality store for expert boot fitting advice but unfortunately I live in Southern Germany so not too handy for visiting that shop. However I do live near some of the big Austrian (and German) ski resorts that have a good variety of ski stores. I have a couple of recommendations for decent boot fiters there. Hopefully I'l be able to find a good bootfitter that stocks all the boots I want to try.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have had Lange boots before why not give them a go again. Just get a more flexible boot, maybe one of the freeride boots. 'CRL' I think is the range. I tried some and they were far to narrow for me. Or Rossignol do some narrow fits. I would guess the Bandit boots would be the freeride boot as thats the freeride ski. Be careful with the Pro-model, there supposed to be alot stiffer than the boot is labelled at. I was even told by my local shop that although the flex scale isnt made up, it isnt very accurate and the boots aren't tested to meet the advertised flex.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
born2ski wrote:
Lockwoods sounds like a quality store for expert boot fitting advice but unfortunately I live in Southern Germany so not too handy for visiting that shop. However I do live near some of the big Austrian (and German) ski resorts that have a good variety of ski stores. I have a couple of recommendations for decent boot fiters there. Hopefully I'l be able to find a good bootfitter that stocks all the boots I want to try.

Get yourself to St Anton and trawl round the different shops (Sports Alber, Jenewein etc).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Found a review of the Dalbello Krypton here:
http://www.footloosesports.com/reviews/article.php?prid=178

Looks like they'd be worth tracking down if you can.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hubby has Dalbello boots, don't think they're low volume though. I have petite narrow feet, Rossi's are great .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi born2ski
I agree Vicevercsa - Lange make a pretty narrow fit. I have very narrow 'ruler' feet with a high arch. I'm currently in a pair of Lange comp100 (about 2 yr old) with custom footbeds, they're still pretty snug after nearly 2 years of heavy use on plastic. If the comps are too stiff then I understand the CRL range gives more flex. I was taught / forced to leave the top 2 buckles undone for the moglus (tighten the power strap of course), if you can trust to do this then it really does give markedly more flex and you can crank em closed for speed / when you get tired...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi born2ski
I agree Vicevercsa - Lange make a pretty narrow fit. I have very narrow 'ruler' feet with a high arch. I'm currently in a pair of Lange comp100 (about 2 yr old) with custom footbeds, they're still pretty snug after nearly 2 years of heavy use on plastic. If the comps are too stiff then I understand the CRL range gives more flex. I was taught / forced to leave the top 2 buckles undone for the moguls (tighten the power strap of course), if you can trust to do this then it really does give markedly more flex and you can crank em closed for speed / when you get tired...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah I should try out some of the freeride type Langes since the Langes worked out the closest fit last time. I think the more flexible models may be a little wider than the racing versions but hopefully not too much. I'll add a couple of Rossis to my list to try as well.

Good suggestion about the buckles - I think I'll try it out this weekend to see how much additional flex it gives.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
born2ski, Reducing the tension of your buckles has a dramatic effect on flex, for this reason we often use liners without plastic collers to help give the user more flex. Without the plastic, the liner takes up the tension and not the plastic, therfore softer. Try the lange, either the CRL or Exclusive as plastic can be tampered with and then have a thermo liner such as Palau or Scarpa, put in to soften the cuff. Little Angel
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads born2ski.

I have a similarly narrow / low volume forefoot (medium instep), and have a similar cold temperature problem with my Salomon X2s. I've just bought some Fisher Vacuum boots in a 130 flex and one of the selling points is supposed to be that the plastic is more temperature stable and doesn't stiffen up as much as other plastics. I got 130 flex, but they also do a lower flex.

I've only skied them for three days in Tignes, but first impressions are good - although it didn't bitterly cold (only down to around -3 / -4), so I can't confirm how the plastic reacts to colder temperatures.

SMALLZOOKEEPER will ride in at any moment (see his comments on the other thread!)...
ski holidays
born2ski, My son is 6'3" under 10 stone size 7.5 feet which are also very narrow. He has a pair of Atomic RT Ti 100, 95mm last. A race Boot that he can actually flex.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/RT_TI_100/AE5004620.aspx?filter=

It's made in an even narrower 93mm last too.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/en-US/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/RT_STI_100/AE5004720.aspx?filter=
snow report
good effort on the 5 year old thread guys Laughing
latest report
Yep perhaps a little late on your replies but thanks for responding anyway Smile. I've been more of a Snowheads browser in the past 5 years but have just started posting on the threads since it's more fun to join in and contribute a bit.

Since we're talking boots - at that time I ended up getting Dalbello Krypton Cross boots but currently I'm in Nordica Doberman Pro EDT 130 race boots which I've removed rivets to increase the flex a little. The boots are narrow and foamed up to give me the perfect fit. This season I may even consider removing a bit of the shell to get it to flex further.

I do like the look of that new vacuum technology though and it's interesting that Atomic go down to 93mm last now - that would be ideal for narrow feet.
latest report
CEM wrote:
good effort on the 5 year old thread guys Laughing

Duh!

(See post. Must reply. Must reply. Must reply...)
ski holidays
born2ski, Atomic make the Race tech STi in 70, 100, 130 and 160 flex (the 160 is listed as STI R ) great ultra low volume shell and the only one available in anything less than a 130 ish flex
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy