Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Reqd on Carbon Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

i had a set of Goode graphite sticks for many years until they were pinched last year and I need to get a set to replace them with. I want to get some carbon poles, can anyone recommend any and also where I might be able to pick up a set in the UK.

cheers

stubbsy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't recommend per se, but have seen some very nice looking ones by Head in the shops here (Intelligence, I think they're called?)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stubbsy, I've some Scott ones which are very good, slightly stiffer than my previous Goode ones which makes them better for opening ski bindings but otherwise nearly identical, have you tried Slush & Rubble in Portsmouth ?

By the way welcome to snowHeads wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stubbsy, I've had Goode's since early 2002. Seem to be faultless. Wish I hadn't disposed of the race baskets when I got the shop to fit powder ones...

One piece of ski kit I think you can safely buy on line? Never heard anyone complain about uncomfortable poles...

Would someone please invent a pole lock? I take my carbonpoles into restaurants as I reckon their just a theif magnet. I mean, if you're going to nick a pair, might as well nick the good (sic) ones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stubbsy, welcome to snowHead

I was in Slush & Rubble in Pompey the other week and they stock K2 carbon poles for £25. Bought the Girlie a pair...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, it has been done, the Ski Tote (TM) Shocked snowHead Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use Scott carbon poles, they seem to work fine for me. They just take a little getting used to as they're a bit more flexible than aluminium ones.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a great pair of Leki carbon poles until last season in Val d'Isere, when a fat chump fell onto one of them snapping it in two.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My last couple of pairs of poles have been carbon but now that my current pair are looking very battered and duct-taped I'm wondering what the point of carbon poles really is:

pros
1) they dont bend (at least they do bend but they dont stay bent!)
2) the look slim and nice
3) they are marginally lighter

cons
1) they get chipped by ski edges and can snap at a chip
2) slim looks silly when you put powder baskets on them
3) they are more expensive

The other difference is that they are springy but I don't know whether that is a pro or a con. ANy thoughts?

J
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect that if you do extensive off piste skiing that the flexibility of carbon poles may actually be a disadvantage, for on piste skiing they're great if you've actually been taught how to use poles properly which means simply as an aid to turning and weight transfer, not so great however if you have to do a lot of flat runs as you cannot put much force through them
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dgorf, how does flexibility/a carbon pole aid turning over a "standard" pole?

I'm with Jedster, I don't see any benefit in carbon poles, higher cost, no "give" and really not much lighter.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Somebody side-slipped broadside into one of my Goode carbon poles and snapped the bottom few inches clean off.

I was pretty miffed about this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, i'll have a look in slush and rubble at the K2 sticks.

If anyone knows where i can look at goode or scott poles online could you drop me a pm?

Thanks again

stubbsy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a pair of Goode carbon poles. got from Snow and Rock for £20. Very Nice.

Can't say I have really noticed any particular beneifits against Aluminium poles though.

A girl who I skied with this year broke her poles and skied with too shorter poles than recommended. However she found that the shorter lengths made her throw her weight more forward and down the fall line allowing her to ski better and get more edge.

Can it be we are all too taken aback by all the sales clap trap.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super Eagle wrote:
A girl who I skied with this year broke her poles and skied with too shorter poles than recommended. However she found that the shorter lengths made her throw her weight more forward and down the fall line allowing her to ski better and get more edge.

depends who recommended that length Very Happy someone must be recommending the wrong length, I see loads of people with poles that are too long for exactly the reasons you give.
snow report
The girl was approx 1.6 metres tall, but her poles after being broken were less than 1 mtr in length.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, that's short Very Happy around 110 would be closer I guess.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, now's your chance to upgrade.
snow conditions
stubbsy, have a look up the road in Filarinskis in Havant, they had some nice Scott ones last time i was there
ski holidays
Quote:

Can't say I have really noticed any particular beneifits against Aluminium poles though.

I got my carbon Goode poles stuck in a gondola door mechanism once, and they got bent at the middle to about 15 degrees angle. When the door opened they just sprang back straight immediately. I don't think Al poles would recover from that sort of punishment.

My advice since then has always been to buy the cheapest carbon poles you can find, better than Al anyday.
ski holidays
mistermouse, thanks for that, i must admit i've been looking online and forget about getting off my back bottom and visiting the local shops Smile

I'll have a look this weekend and see what they've got

cheers
ski holidays
You could always go for a best of both worlds. I use Leki telscopic poles with the triger straps. Half Carbon and half alu. Thought they were a gimic and bought them as they were cheap. Turns out they are great poles. The triger straps are very handy and easy to use and the telescopic poles are great to reduce and strap to side of the pack.
snow report
Last year, I managed to bend an ally pole whilst messing up on a button lift. Even at -10 deg.C, the metal was still ductile enough not to break. If the aluminium is good enough quality, it shouldn't break unless it's pretty much bent double.
snow report
Is carbon the same as poles that say "composite" on them?
snow conditions
beanie1, No.
snow report
....composite just means a mixture of 2 or more mutually distinct materials which when mixed, produces a material with enhanced properties. Fibre reinforced plastics, steel reinforced concrete, plywood...
latest report
So composite poles - what are they likely to be a mixture of?
latest report
beanie1, resin and fibre, whatever can be gotten cheap and formed well. Fibreglass is a composite and poles have been made from it. Goode sells something called 'Vylon' that is neither glass nor carbon fibres.

Weaknesses are usually overcome through extra layers sometimes with extra fibre always with extra resin. More resin-more weight so, unlike some sports products, weight does have some (reverse) correlation with quality.

Me: Scott poles w. Leki Deep Powder baskets.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 27-01-06 4:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I tried steel reinforced concrete poles but they were a tad heavy wink

I guess the cheaper ones are glass fibre (cheap but not very stiff) and the more expensive ones carbon (expensive but very stiff). There's a world shortage of carbon at the moment (thanks to Boeing and Airbus) so buy them now before the price goes up Very Happy
ski holidays
Sharkymark, those really should have been vacuum-bagged.
latest report
comprex, why of course...15 mins until I get picked up from home to go to girlie's for the night before going to Heathrow to get on the plane to take me to Zurich...oooooooh yes snowHead
snow report
comprex, Ski Tote? How does that help when I wander into my fave resto for a slap up lunch and come back out to find my poles half inched? Ah, now I see, checking el web site. interesting...
ski holidays
Quote:

telescopic poles are great to reduce and strap to side of the pack.

I've always wondered about this for skiing. For trekking it makes sense - sometimes you dont want to use your poles. For skiing, when would you have your poles on your pack? Well perhaps when ski touring when you are climbing a steep slope on (boot) crampons rather than skis. But in that case your going to have a pair of skis strapped to your pack which will be considerably longer than the poles so where is the benefit of the telescopic poles. I'd have thought they just add weight, reduce strength and add cost for little gain. No?

J
latest report
I can't comment on the weight issue but when you are pole-planting on the steeps having a longer pole helps a lot. You can then shorten it on gentler terrain. If you can be bothered!
ski holidays
the ice perv, traversing, too, helps to have the downhill pole longer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy