Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalung, airbag...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any serious snowHead demon off-pisters equipped with one or both of these?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I and 5 people I ski with wear an avalung, having watched a program where they buried someone with an avalung, an hour later he was still alive and they had to dig him out for fear of hypothermia.

Main issues are if you get hit, can you get the mouthpiece into your mouth in time & of course, it won't prevent injury from you hitting a rock, tree etc in an ava.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Greg
I watched the same programme (N.America somewhere?) and it's stuck in my mind ever since...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is an avalung compatible with an airbag rucksack?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
all avalung needs is space/air at your back for an "exit" point for exhaled air.

info here:

http://www.avalung.com/direct.html

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you have a look around www.telemarktips.com, you'll find a preview of a Black Diamond rucksack which has an avalung built into it. That's on my shopping list when it comes out.

I'm put off the airbag because they're heavy, expensive and I am not sure how easy it will be to take the gas cylinders on aeroplanes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great spot Arno, the only "faff" with the avalung is it's an extra thing to put on/off at lunch, in the morning, more clips etc, the rucksack sounds like a cracking idea.

http://www.telemarktips.com/FirstLook9.html

regards,

Greg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have to start by saying that i am not an expert on avalanches or these devices, however I do like offpiste skiing and see no need to die doing what i enjoy. Although I agree with all the arguments against ABS that Arno has made( and hence i have not bought one) I just cant see the point of investing in avalung either. Majority of people cought in avalanches die due to trauma associated with being carried at great speed down a steep possibly rocky slope. If you survive, unless you are dug out within the usually cited time period you will die of asphyxia (the inability to breathe). This is the time when the avalung is ment to help your chances of survival. However this is assuming you are a)conscious when you come to a stop, b) your avalung has not been ripped off, c) you get the mouth-piece into your mouth or managed to hold it in your mouth as you are tumbling, d) the frozen avalanche debris allows enough room for you to expand your chest as you attempt to take a breath, e) someone who can find and dig you out is looking for you. All these variables have to come together before you are likely to benefit from having avalung when cought in an avalanche. As a concept ABS makes more sense a) it is much easier to activate and b) by keeping you on the surface or ahead of the slide is more likekly to protect you from trauma (read death), c) being burried and the need to be found. All this as mentioned by Arno comes at a price. Therefore i am going to invest in .......................... bug, still have not convinced myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably impractical - but wouldn't it be useful if all avalanches were reported according to a standard format allowing a database to be built showing what happened, who was caught, what equipment they used, and whether the equipment had any impact on the outcome?

That would allow some analysis of what benefit various equipment offers...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Have one on order, getting older makes me feel there is more to preserve,and i can't see how you can protect yourselves enough. Early sunday mornings i often wear crampons and a transiever to buy bread, although, the girl at the patiserie loves that kind of thing. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DavidS, for amazing information on Swiss avalanches go to www.slf.ch

Arno, nice spot. This might need some looking into at some point.

PP, good points.

FWIW I might consider an integrated pack / avalung system but never an ABS. I'm a skier not a donkey. I've skied with a beeper for 10 years and not had to use it in anger yet. Fingers crossed I'll never have to. I've been in a slide myself and have lost a friend in a sepperate slide. Avoidance is key. Yes, at some point everyone skiing serious off piste is going to be caught up in a slide, and an ABS, Avalung or anyother piece of kit that might help you, but you have to draw the line at some point. And just now my line is a 500m (vertical) descent of untracked powder, 5 days after the last snowfall... Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy