Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Tho in early Dec? Advice on booking early or late?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and skiing in general (we went for the first time December 2014 over Christmas) so would appreciate any advice.

I'm looking at booking another holiday this December 2016 but as luck would have it, checking university and school term dates appears that we may be able to go Dec 10-17th before the Christmas/NY rush. My question is regarding accommodation booking - book now? (reasonable places for about £600) or wait? There are four of us (3x adults and 1x teen) so I tend to look for self-catering apartments for 5-6 people to get the right bed situation (and we want to go back to Val Thorens).
My worry is about snow cover and whether this will be sufficient, my thinking being if I wait I can suss out snowfall and then book without the worry of cancellation and losing half the booking cost (any super cheap deals around then would also be a bonus!).

So any opinions on snow cover during that time or advice on when to book would be aprpeciated, thanks! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is no reason to book the accommodation early for those dates. But how are you getting there? More of an issue booking flights/channel crossing/trains last minute.

If there is snow anywhere there will be some in Val T.

Just to note things aren't that busy over Christmas, New Year is busier. We normally go Christmas week and we book apartments and crossing in the Autumn. Have been also the week before that once iirc - to ADH. It worked out OK but the last couple of years things have been pretty poor early doors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, thanks for the reassurance and info. Am planning travel via train (no direct ski train on those dates unfortunately so have to change in France) but will book that once tickets are available (3-4 months it seems) and perhaps leave accommodation closer to the time. Last time we went the Christmas week and we already thought that was busy...but thanks for the heads up about NY.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hebejeebie wrote:
Last time we went the Christmas week and we already thought that was busy...but thanks for the heads up about NY.

If you were in VT last Christmas possibly busier than a normal Christmas due to the lack of snow elsewhere!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VT is the highest resort in Western Europe. Snow, and / or fake snow, are very reliable. Mid-Dec will be fine.

With the Pound collapsing due to Brecession, it makes sense to hedge it and book early. Or reserve early on somewhere with no cancellation penalty.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hebejeebie, book transport when it becomes available, accommodation once you know where the snow is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the advice Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy