Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XL, 8000 and a Snake

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back and these are the skis I tested.

Me, 6 foot and 80kgs, 8-9 on the S&N scale.

First ski, 2006 Stormrider XL in 174. chosen because there had been no new snow for some time and because I wanted to see how it compared to last years supposedly stiffer version which I liked a lot. Skied this for 4 days whilst awaiting a dump and because I couldn't find an 8000 in the resort. As it happened this wasn't a bad thing as the XL is a good all-rounder.
Typical Stockli edge hold and good in chopped up old-ish snow. And as the temps kept the snow in good nick it was possible to find some deep-ish and good stashes. The XL coped well with this but you have to position yourself correctly to stop the tips dipping. In moguls or bumps these might be a tad stiff but not really a issue. Great fun and great ski in old snow conditions and capable of reasonable float. Excellent edge hold although they might judder a bit if you get lazy on hardpack.

Move resort and got Dynastar 8000 in 184. More of the same conditions and still no new snow. This ski is very manouverable and nimble and good on wind blown crud, soft snow and reasonable on the piste. Want to turn but don't have anything like the grip of the XL. Very good in bumps if you are energetic, stay centred and just pick up the knees. Surprisingly delightful here.

Stockli Snake in 180 after a dump of maybe 20-30 cms. A bit of a mistake here as I should have gone for the Snake BC - which is fatter and/or longer. The snake is very turney but maybe more of a park ski with its twin tip orienation. Possibly might have a dual sidecut but I could be talking b******s here and I did swap the skis around. But with new snow about I just wanted ski it. Again, I had to keep the tips up as these were inclined to sink. Didn't really test the edge too much as the snow was perfect and this ski was ok in the soft bumps that were quickly formed. I just think my reservations are because I knew I was on the wrong ski almost straight away for the conditions, and wish I had made a better choice.... Hindsight....!!!

Conclusions: Want a 60/40 70/30 offpiste/onpiste ski, out of the 3 go for the XL if only for the edge hold which you will need. Want more of a off-piste floater and sacrifice the grip on ice go for the 8000 or fatter. Only had the Snake on a powder day and it didn't work out for me.... Wouldn't write it off again but for me I can't see why you would pick it over the other two unless you knew how it skied in the park...which isn't for me....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi JT, I hope you had a fab trip. Interesting, I do like the sound of the Stoecklis. Will endeavour to try a pair sometime soon.

Still completely what "the park" is from a ski performance pov?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David ,

Great thanks, and hope to get back there soon. Incidently, I have been offered the 2006 XL for 800chf inc bindings...!!!!

Still kicking myself for not getting out the Snake BC tho'.

And I can see why you like your GS skis so much...it is always a case of where you make the compromise, or rather where you can live with it IMV.

Hope everything is proceeding along just nicely with you both.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Thanks for posting - another ski to add to the test list!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, proceeding very fine thanks - good to hear you had a good time. Out to Morzine via Chamonix next Friday! Very disappointed to fly from Geneva on Friday evening, although required and achieved productive weekend in London.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernard Condon,

I seem to recall you saying you wanted a 50/50... if thats the case try the XL first, you may or may not like the stiffness of it but that is the ski.
I would imagine it is Volkl-like and hence the AC3 reference from my previous post.

But both the 8000 and XL are fab skis IMV

Oh and what about the K2 Recon.....? Got panned here recently but I would have tried it if I could have found it..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, I have narrowed down to;

Stoeckli Stormrider XL
Dynastar Legend 8000
Volkl Unlimited AC3
Rossignol Bandit B2

Now I just need to find a store to test these in Les Arcs/La Plagne/Espace Killy! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, I'm not sure from your post I see how you compare the old and new stormriders? Are they the same or similar?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a thought but ......

Rather than getting a ski that is a good allrounder (i.e. a compromise in every condition) why not get a good ski for the piste and rent a pair of fats when it dumps?

Skied with quite a few people last week and when it dumped all of us on sub 81 mm waisted skis (including B2's and Stormriders) moved up to 90mm+ skis and everyone of us experienced the the benefits. Yes it costs more but it's probably the best value for money upgrade you can get on a ski holiday when its fresh powder time. If the conditions are not powder then you are also on a ski more suitable for the conditions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise,

I used the old ski last year and only used the new ski this year so my recollections are a year apart. The main difference, I thought was in the edge hold which I recall as being better on the older ski on ice. But... there wasn't the ice about so much this time round so I may be a bit wrong here. This years skis juddered a bit more - if you got lazy, and I never had that on the old XL, and on balance I would prefer last years ski for the grip. I think this years ski is slightly softer, otherwise more of the same...!

And I found the old ski for 399 chf and the new for 800chf inc, brand new....!!!

And DB is right, I think, use a dedicated piste ski for hardpack and both XL's are great here, and in a new snow day, go wider. I thought I had got that covered with the Snakes but I f****d up. Should have gone fatter....!!

Bernard Condon,
Sounds like a good list to me..... You may not find the XL in LP, but you should find the 8000 which you should like a lot. But take it from me that the XL has loads more grip that the 8000... just a thought, if you need it..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy