Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iceland 4*4 camping trip help

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

We're heading to Iceland in a couple of weeks for 9 days/8 nights as part of Millsy's 40th Birthday celebrations. I've procrastinated on organizing anything so we're now more or less limited to camping outside of Reykjavik. So I've hired a Landcruiser (extortionate!!!) and the idea is to head South and try and get to some of the more interesting places off the beaten track (Thorsmork, Askja, Landmannalaugar?) Anyone on here done anything similar and can help me narrow down the research?

Thanks,
Bob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a camping sort these days, but just had a long weekend there a few weeks ago. Only tip.
TAKE PLENTY OF MONEY.
Iceland is probably the most expensive place I have been to. Had 10 days in Japan earlier this year and that wasn't as expensive.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, Hi Bob. Is it your first time in Iceland? I think it's the most fascinating country in the world, you'll have an amazing time. I don't know a lot about the interior, but one thing in the South that I would recommend is seeing the plane wreck in Sólheimasandur. People drive onto the beach but I parked on the road at one end and walked for an hour or two to find it. It was a dull day, and the beach is black sand and I didn't meet anyone else so it felt very otherworldly.

Are you only staying in the south?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, I wouldn't bother with The Blue Lagoon, it's very expensive and always busy with tourists. Everywhere else you go you'll find similar, less crowded and much cheaper. Here's a few suggestions http://www.mydestinationreykjavik.com/travel-articles/10-iceland-hot-springs-that-arent-the-blue-lagoon

Also, Jökulsárlón glacier near Hofn is incredible
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote-Also, I wouldn't bother with The Blue Lagoon,

Yes do. It is actually very relaxing, and I'm sure anyone should enjoy it. After all we are ALL tourists there, BUT a lot of locals use it regularly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Man Of Lech, I'm not suggesting they don't go to a thermal spa, I'm saying that there are many others all over the country that are a fifth of the price and sometimes even nicer
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just watch up on Game of Thrones and that TGR kayaking movie.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH,
I didn't reply at first as my information is out of date but as you haven't had any other replies about camping I thought I'd let you know our experiences. We went to Iceland about 15 years ago. It was my husband and I and two sons who were about 15 and 13 at the time. We took our camping gear on the plane and hired a 4x4. It was the most battered Freelander I have ever seen and was even more battered by the time we arrived back. Even the "main" roads were very rough back then (no idea what they are like now) and we travelled far less distance than we had planned. We were there for two weeks and went south-west from Reykjavik as far as the Jokulsarion Galcier Lagoon and then headed back to the north to Gullfoss, Geysir and Pingvellir. These are all "tourist" places but for good reason - they are truly spectacular and memorable. I will never forget standing looking at the plates of a tectonic divide somewhere to the north (sorry - can't remember where). We stayed at "proper" campsites and the facilities were basic but perfectly clean and adequate. Food supplies were few and far between and pretty basic but, again, adequate. Out side of Rekjavik, cafés and restaurants were basic but adequate - that phrase keeps cropping up. We filled up regularly with fuel as the garages were not numerous but usually had food and snacks to stock up with. We did go to the Blue Lagoon at the start of the holiday and I did enjoy it even if it is "touristy". We were the at the end of July and it wasn't too crowded. However, the natural springs are absolutely amazing. We stayed at one campsite and walked up the valley to a formal swimming pool that the farmer had built for his wife. It even had changing cubicles. We were the only people swimming there and the views and atmosphere were incredible. We also camped at some springs to the north of Reykjavik which were just a series of natural pools hollowed out from the rocks. It was a pretty grey, damp and miserable morning and I was warm and cosy in my sleeping bag. Younger son wanted to get up and go to the pools and I didn't like to let him go alone (OK, overprotective mother but he could have slipped and drowned😱) so went with him. I am so glad I went. Again, a truly memorable experience with the mists coming and going and dipping down into the pool to keep warm. There are lots of warnings about swimming in unregulated pools as apparently each year tourists get "boiled" in pools where the temperatures can vary very rapidly. The weather was not great - think North Wales on a cool, damp October day - and we were told several times how lucky we were with the weather so I'm glad we weren't there in bad weather. We went whale watching and saw a whale. We saw enormous Tonka-toy 4x4s crossing raging torrents (lots of Italian 4x4 for some reason). We also spent a couple of days (one night) in Reykjavik. The campsite was full so we had to stay in an hotel - I was so pleased as not getting up to scuttle to the showers/loo on a cool morning was very welcome. Reykjavik was very interesting with lots to see and do. We had a "posh" dinner to celebrate the end of a brilliant trip but I couldn't bring myself to order wine as even a very modest bottle (I even had a bottle of the very same Pinot Grigio in my fridge at home) was ridiculously expensive. Fortunately, my husband ignored me and ordered a decent bottle. Sorry this is out of date and I can't remember the names of some of the places we stopped but have a brilliant holiday - it was a great one for us.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Bob,

We were there last year (winter) in a rented 4x4.

Be aware that it is against the law for any rental 4x4 to go off road...no exceptions.
Many of the marked tracks that a 4x4 person would almost consider a road are off limits too.

Of course you can take a risk, but if something went wrong and you got caught....get ready for an eye watering fine.

As regards cost, we didn't think it was particularly expensive, London prices I'd say. Alcohol is expensive...just don't bother I'd say.

Which begs a question: why do people assume that other countries should be cheaper than ours?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp wrote:

Which begs a question: why do people assume that other countries should be cheaper than ours?

Duh because their citizens wouldn't be coming over here, taking our jobs as footballers, quirky indiepop singers and low rent supermarkets otherwise.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

As regards cost, we didn't think it was particularly expensive, London prices I'd say. Alcohol is expensive...just don't bother I'd say.

I agree with that - Iceland is certainly cheaper than Norway and Dublin, I found Reykjavik it similar to London too but everything outside the capital was pretty reasonable
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pm meh.....he lives in rekiavyk
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reykjavik!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dbeatski, yes but im on the phone and i exoect people know where i mean
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, confused me, I thought you meant Seyoisfjorour.
latest report
Regarding that Iceland is so expensive, then that is a bit exaggerated. Petrol stations and 10-11 are ridiculously expensive, so just avoid them and go to bonus, kronan, netto for groceries. And don't buy wine at restaurants.

Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk are good choices, I haven't been to Askja, can't comment on that.
The car rental companies are same as in the rest of Europe, inspect the car carefully before you drive away. And don't leave the car door open without holding it. It will blow up and get dented.

Since you will be camping, you should use good quality tent, that can handle wind and rain.

@Welshcakes. The main road is paved now. (only 10-20 km left in the east part). But the road is still narrow.

And since you will be reading a lot about Iceland before you go, i guess, there are 2 wrong statements all over the tourist books that must be corrected.
1. Icelanders don't believe in elves and trolls or whatever.
2. The hot dog stand down town is not our favorite restaurant, it is disgusting.
snow report
Thanks all! Can't wait to get there!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy