Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big sale on Dynafit Beast bindings in Germany - Spyderjon has now got the same deal in the UK :)

Poster: A snowHead
Arno wrote:
Hmmm... Was about to pull the trigger on some Rad 2s. Any feedback on the lack of flat walk mode on beasts? How unflat is it? I can walk with the heel lifts on my TLT speeds if it flat but it gets a but tedious after a while and really annoying if there are any downhill bits

Knowing your requirements the Beast heel wouldn't be suitable for you as a single binding solution (for the above reasons) however I've just emailed you the details you requested re an F12/Rad 2 dual mount or an F12/Kingpin dual mount, neither of which works for your boot sole length due to conflicting mounting locations. I'd recommend either a Rad 2 FT single binding solution or, for the ultimate solution, a Beast 16 & Speed Radical/Speed Turn 2 combo which I've also detailed in my email. This Beast 16 offer makes getting the two bindings only a bit dearer than a single Rad 2 binding.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ and that's why we should be supporting our local retailers. We're never going to get that same level of service and advice from the euro online retailers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, tbh, it is a bit annoying on flat stuff, but if it's going to be a longish section you can rotate the heel 90 degrees and hook the brake up with a rubber band, then they're dead flat......
If you feel that's a faff for the type of touring you're likely to be doing then maybe the Beast isn't for you.
My Beasts are mounted on Automatic 117's and I use that setup to climb and access powder stashes where I want the ride and retention that the Beast offers, I've got another rig for more varied touring.......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, Great to see such an honest, unbiased reply Very Happy
@RichClark, +1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beast flat tour mode cheat shown below. The brake/AFD is effectively spring loaded so gives a nice bit of suspension when the heel goes down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, Is the toe piece shimming for 0mm delta ? If so looks a lot cleaner than the old radicals
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, it's a 4mm shim. The Beast 16 has 6mm of delta so my shim gives me 2mm. The Beast 14 toe is actually a mil higher than the 16 so my shim nets out at 3mm. My skis are QK'd for both toes & the deltas are so close I can't tell the difference.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Those boots are well shiny Jon, mine look like old relics compared to them!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjohn do these beasts 135mm with with the technical cochise pro?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, try Google translate for that one........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ajc2260626 wrote:
spyderjohn do these beasts 135mm with with the technical cochise pro?

???
If you're asking if I have any 135mm Beasts then yes, I've got one pair only of Beast 14 135mm's. Although if you specifically wanted Beast 16's I can give you a pair of 16 toes with the 135mm 14 heels.

And if you're asking if they work with the Tecnica Cochise Pro boot then yes they do, providing that you fit the tech toe'n'heel soles to the boots and then the Power Inserts (that come with the bindings) to the heels.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KenX, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fwiw I love my Beast 14's, mounted on my favourite ski (Automatic 117) they ski like an alpine binding without the weight but with the option to hike for a stash Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, hey mate, apologies for garbled comment... did it on the phone and it went predictive on me!

what i was asking was did they work with technica cochise pro boots? as i have got a pair of next years bent chetlers to put some on so i believe i need the ones with 135mm brake on?

what are the power inserts? i assumed that i just needed to put the different sole bits that came with the boots?

please put me down for a pair of the 135mms if you have some....

andy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ajc2260626, I've got one pair of 135mm Beast 14's. As with all of these bindings it's first come first served so just call me with your card details. However, the 16/17 Bentchetler is 120mm underfoot so the 120mm Beast brake will fit them so that's as wide as you need unless you might want to go to a wider ski in the future.

The Power Insert is a replacement heel tech insert that is extended laterally & is what activates/moves the Beast heel binding rearwards as well as protecting the plastic heel lug from wear from the binding as this movement takes place. The PI's come with the Beast binding & replace the regular inserts. The central fixing screw that comes with the original insert is reused in the centre of the PI but the PI also has an additional screw fixing at the end of each extending arm to give additional support. A boot fitted with the PI can still be used in any other freeride touring binding but it adds a mm to the BSL so the binding length/forward pressure will need adjusting accordingly.

Standard tech heel insert on left & Power Insert on the right:

There are two boots on the market that won't accept the Power Inserts, namely the Atomic Backland & the Black Diamond Factor so they can't be used with either of the two Beast binding models.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, whats the best way to get hold you and i will be in touch tomos......
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
@spyderjon, whats the best way to get hold you and i will be in touch tomos......

Best to call me: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/contact-us.html
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Thanks for the info Jon, didn't appreciate I would have to add "power inserts" to my boots nor have to use a rubber band to keep the brakes up.. Haven't looked into Touring gear for a few years but it continues to be a messy minefield of gadgets, recalls and DIY fixes Wink Laughing
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@spyderjon, Thanks for the info Jon, didn't appreciate I would have to add "power inserts" to my boots nor have to use a rubber band to keep the brakes up.. Haven't looked into Touring gear for a few years but it continues to be a messy minefield of gadgets, recalls and DIY fixes Wink Laughing

It's not messy at all. The Beast was designed as a freeride touring binding (ie for accessing the 'good stuff') as opposed to a distance tourer so it has only has two climbing bars - both of which lock the brake up. It doesn't have a flat walk mode however this is somewhat offset by the reduced 'alpine style' delta of the binding to start (which is one of the factors that contribute to how well it skis) and the two climbing bar heights aren't as high as those on their outright touring models. The lack of a flat walk mode just isn't a problem to the majority of users but those that want it can swivel the toe around and band up the brakes if desired. There's a video of how the Beast works on my site here.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, I've been looking to get a touring set-up for next season and this offer looks like the ideal place to start. I know I want the Beast 14 but I don't know what skis I'd want to go with them. What would you recommend? I'm looking for a setup that'll initially be used for single day trips in Scotland. I'm 180cm tall, 93kg and while decent enough on piste I'm not yet very proficient on the off-piste, having only done one week (last season's SOPB). Current piste skis are Head Titan 177 which I love. I've also got Fischer Watea 88 which I used on the Off-Piste Bash but I think I need skis that are a little bit wider, so I'm thinking about 100mm waist.

Final question - I've not got touring boots yet and nobody around here has any stock, so I won't be buying them for a couple of months. Would it be possible to buy bindings/skis now and leave them with you until I can tell you the boot info for mounting?
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, No problem with that. I'm out this evening (posting on my phone) so give me a call tomorrow for a chat. Jon
ski holidays
@spyderjon, thanks for the great deal on the Beast 14s and the R.108s. All I need now are some boots and some snow!
latest report
This offer has gone really well & thanks to everyone who has purchased. My shelves are bare at the moment & I've already sold in to another consignment of bindings that's leaving Dynafit today to arrive mid next week. I've also managed to get a few pairs in the very wide brake width so my current free stock as at this date/time is:

15no. Beast 14 105mm
26no. Beast 14 120mm
1no. Beast 14 135mm
1no. Beast 16 105mm
8no. Beast 16 120mm
2no. Beast 16 135mm

That looks a lot of bindings but I've already done more than that to my TGR customers alone & as the offer finishes at the end of August any ditherers need to get a wiggle on Toofy Grin

Also got crampons in stock in all five widths at less cost than all the big online euroland discounting bucket shops plus I've got a small quantity of spare pairs of the Beast heel mounted Power Inserts for users that want to set-up an additional pair of boots.
snow report
@spyderjon, sold many sets of skins to go with them Toofy Grin
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, sold many sets of skins to go with them Toofy Grin

Laughing
ski holidays
Who needs skins, they look coooool Very Happy
latest report
For those waiting for bindings I'm afraid the despatch of my latest delivery from Dynafit has been delayed due to the annual holidays in Italy (where their factory/distribution centre is). I'd forgotten that Italy virtually closes in August Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I've managed to get them to switch my order from a palletised delivery to some smaller boxes so they're now coming by UPS so they'll be with me mid next week.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, that must have been of a real concern to your clients who needed them asap - major ski tour trips planned for Chile perhaps Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, that must have been of a real concern to your clients who needed them asap - major ski tour trips planned for Chile perhaps Cool

All the Chile/Argie go'ers were supplied either from my initial stock/first delivery so luckily all's good on that front.
latest report
No worries Jon - thanks for the update!
latest report
@spyderjon, aaaaahhhhh yes those would be the hard core tourers on Beasts Toofy Grin
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, aaaaahhhhh yes those would be the hard core tourers on Beasts Toofy Grin

I don't know why we need this too cool for school attitude to people who might want to get into touring. It's just a form of elitism/smugness - look how core I am cos I do tours and have crampons and know about icing and the glide properties of nylon v mohair. People don't generally feel the need to brag or denigrate others elsewhere on sHs *- ah those beginners what idiots. Why does it matter if people want to buy Beasts on spec - they are a pretty meaty downhill only binding and they might want to do the odd bit of freeride resort skinning?

* Bladers and people who wear sunglasses with helmets obviously excepted wink
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, don't take it the comments too seriously it's been a running joke for a while Toofy Grin

I even have a pair of Scott Guardian's on a pair of skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, don't take it the comments too seriously it's been a running joke for a while Toofy Grin

I even have a pair of Scott Guardian's on a pair of skis rolling eyes

I've got some Dukes that I rarely use because I don't even like the ramp angle for downhill. Might be uber nerdy but what's the origin of the joke - bearded whippets getting upset when Dynafiddle sold out on them and started promoting gnarly stiff with Hoji - not enough love for the Lycra & Petzl crowd? wink
ski holidays
Bindings finally on route from Italy & will be with me tomorrow so those bindings that are being posted with be despatched on Monday. Thanks for your patience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy