Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles and field of vision

Poster: A snowHead
I doubt if this has been covered before but apologies if it has.

I've recently had an eye removed (just the one thankfully!!) and as a result I've lost 20% peripheral vision. I"ve been skiiing for 35 years so, if nothing else, at least I appreciate the advantages of not being skied into!

I would really appreciate anyones views about which might be the best type or model of goggles for field of vision.

Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@esaw1, Welcome to snowHead

Spherical lenses are supposed to allow wider peripheral vision. Have you thought about one of these...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/stream-550-adult-helmet-s2-lens-black-id_8287091.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_25792540496_c_93735763496_w_pla-158229841256_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o3x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_886187_z_GB_i_en_j_158229841256_s__e__h_1007246_ii__vi__&gclid=CNahmcK2-M0CFY4y0wodquQG9w

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I'm the person to ask Happy

Don't worry about the eye.... you will get used to it. The only problem you may have is contrast in flat light but everyone seems to have the same problem. The main thing is bumps. The lack of close 3D vision may make you a bit wary, however, I recommend about 3pm on some day when the legs are still fresh, going down the same mogul/bumpy slope for an hour and practise. It makes a big difference.

I've tried a lot of goggles and the thing that surprised me was the FOV from a goggle with a frame was more than the same brand with the external wrap around. The foam on the inside is the thing that cut off the FOV in the frameless goggle. EG I compared Dragon APX and ended up with these.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dragon-rogue-jetred-ionized--yellow-blue-ionized-1516-goggles/767512

Welcome to Snowheads
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and try the helmets like @ALQ posted, Essex has a good brand one and he says it is really good. I've not tried one myself..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@esaw1, Me too, I damaged my right eye at 7 and have managed with vision from just one since. I dont have any more of à problem skiing with or without goggles than in any others area of my life. I guess your problem will be getting accustomed to it as an adult but that will come.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I'm probably a bit old for helmet plus visor fighter pilot look so I'll look into the goggles option.
I had already lost a lot of vision in my left eye so, to be honest, I'm not noticing a huge difference. Interesting suggestion about moguls as that is where i had envisaged the biggest challenge.
Thanks again everyone.
Ollie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@esaw1, don't think age matters on the fighter pilot thing, in fact the people I tend to see wearing them are a bit older rather than kids. At the end of the day it's about a solution that works, there comes a point where style has to be chucked out the window in favour of suitability.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
esaw1 wrote:
.. I'm probably a bit old for helmet plus visor fighter pilot look ...

NO WAY! i'm just waiting for a star wars stormtrooper version, preferably with a HUD system to show directions to the best cake n coffee stops Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now you're talking!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find shades give better peripheral vision than gogs - I do realise that there is a generation that consider this worse than eating their first born wink

Gogs are nicer on a real bad day with lots of snow, but as it says above performance first.

Google ESS Ballistic Eyewear for some really good ones.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ wrote:
esaw1 wrote:
.. I'm probably a bit old for helmet plus visor fighter pilot look ...

NO WAY! i'm just waiting for a star wars stormtrooper version, preferably with a HUD system to show directions to the best cake n coffee stops Cool

Already here. https://www.ruroc.com

Ask @PaulC1884
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Ask @PaulC1884

Why doesn't that surprise me? Laughing

Lots of rave reviews about these:

https://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/flight-deck/matte-white-59-717/45897.aspx?ref=googleshoppinguk&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Oakley%20Goggles&utm_content=45897&gclid=CjwKEAjw_LG8BRDb1JTxm8uP_UwSJADu_8pW3DXSRiLz1d_VAcCNLGRQZBu2ndwFT-JtxjG3qXpTSxoCEYbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The flight deck has a large field of vision, and apparently the prizm rose lens is amazing, particularly in flat light. I'm so so tempted!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HoneyBunny wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Ask @PaulC1884

Why doesn't that surprise me? Laughing

Lots of rave reviews about these:

https://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-goggles/flight-deck/matte-white-59-717/45897.aspx?ref=googleshoppinguk&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Oakley%20Goggles&utm_content=45897&gclid=CjwKEAjw_LG8BRDb1JTxm8uP_UwSJADu_8pW3DXSRiLz1d_VAcCNLGRQZBu2ndwFT-JtxjG3qXpTSxoCEYbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The flight deck has a large field of vision, and apparently the prizm rose lens is amazing, particularly in flat light. I'm so so tempted!!

Yep Pul hd a custom paint job version. Someone offered him crazy money so he sold it. What is good about the Ruroc systems the airflow to prevent steaming. Steaming goggles that is... not being steaming in the bar (or boot room) Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's great, although I've read mixed reviews. But ordinary goggles don't steam up in normal use. At risk of breaking some rule, if you're getting problems with that it's probably not the equipment causing them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops,

Ruroc Limited, 29 Brunel Court, Waterwells Business Park, Gloucester, United Kingdom
Email: info@ruroc.com

They are right by my work HQ. Who knew?! 😉😀
snow report
Went for a pair of Scott LCG's in the end. Peripheral vision is amazing compared to my old 'blinkers'!

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions and I'll try not to carve you up on the slopes!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy