Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2016-2017

Poster: A snowHead
Just a query, looking at organising a weekend ski trip with a group of guys. Last year we stayed in Megève and skied the Mont Blanc Evasion ski area. Skiing was great, food in Megève was amazing, but the Apres was non-existent. The consensus this year is that we should go somewhere with a bit of life. Criteria is that is has to be within 90 mins of an airport; have cheap but cheerful accommodation; and cater for beginners to more advanced skiers. We are looking at Wagrain as a town. So my questions are:

1) how good is the Wagrain Apres?
2) When is a good time to go - Jan or March?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FrediKanoute, Wagrain apres is ok but relatively quiet. There's a bar at the bottom of the Grafenberg that gets busy and one called the Kuhstall at the bottom of the Flying Mozart. Good for a drink, but not banging. One or two bars and a club in town too.

If you want to ski that area and are after apres head the other side of the hill and look at Flachau. It's actually a touch closer to the airport (by about 10 mins!).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hammerite, not so good for beginners though..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@hammerite, not so good for beginners though..

But no worse than Wagrain - probably better than Wagrain for beginners with the short lifts at the bases of the Star and Space Jet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hammerite, yes there is that but i have taken beginners to Flachau and i have found there is limited terrain for learning.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-09-17 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys really helpful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone have any budget s/c accommodation suggestions? Me and 2 or 3 others are looking at options for a 'cheap' new year trip. I spent last year with @Kooky and @Scarpa and really enjoyed it
plus I feel guilty that I didn't pay enough for their superb hospitality so kinda feel the need to right that and buy them a drink or five
so was thinking of heading back. I tried looking on places like homeaway but there didn't seem to be anything near the number of properties that you get in French resorts. As I say, budget is really the driver and I'm trying to keep it around £800-£1000pp (flights, ski carriage, tfr, accom, pass and a bit of a food budget) so there will possibly be an element of slumming it.

Other option could be La Plagne and managed to find an apartment there that we could do for about £750pp including all the above.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @SnoodlesMcFlude,

For budget accommodation in Schladming / Ski Amade I usually find something through the 'request an offer' services, here:

https://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/accommodation/group-request

or here:

http://www.schladming-appartements.at/en/feriendomizile/urlaubsanfrage-neu

If you are talking new year its self though I think it will be pretty booked up by now, although I have found good accommodation that way in Feb half term with only 6 weeks notice before.

Good luck!

Cheers
Kev
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Kev, will fire off a few requests to see what availability is. I know that I can do a trip to Schladming with Crystal for £679 (flights, transfers and half board) which might be the most straightforward option, but lack of transport would mean we'd be a bit restricted. That's why somewhere like La Plagne is attractive, you have a huge area that's all lift connected.

I also prefer the flexibility of having a car and doing self catering, but it's frying my brain looking at the options! Also seems like a lot of places will be a room only, so even if you're s/c there's no kitchen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SnoodlesMcFlude, look at apartments in an apartmenthaus. If you stay in properties just outside of the main villages you're likely to find cheaper options. Trouble with apartments is that the number of bedrooms massively affects prices, so if you're all happy to share rooms then it'll help.

The places in the area that we've stayed in have all been reasonably priced, but we normally head over for Christmas/Easter and not New Year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I saw what you did there Wink

I may be renting my whole flat out this season.
It is just standing empty at the moment, very sad. I will let you know in a few weeks as at the moment its on an estate agents and I cant really make any plans until their 2 months of advertising is up. Should know more in a month so I will check back in here and let you know!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't seem to find a 2017/18 thread, so posting here. Got this text from my brother, and I don't know the area at all so seeking the inifinite wisdom of Snowheads!

Quote:
Just booked flights to Salzburg on 9th April and return on 13th April so 3 days skiing. Was planning on going to schladming because we know it. Suddenly panicking now that the season might be ended but can’t clarify that. Any help appreciated. Also if not there where may you suggest instead that’s not too far too transfer? Thanks and also great for beginners as 2 under 12 kids will be having lessons. Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't seem to find a 2017/18 thread, so posting here. Got this text from my brother, and I don't know the area at all so seeking the infinite wisdom of Snowheads!

Quote:
Just booked flights to Salzburg on 9th April and return on 13th April so 3 days skiing. Was planning on going to schladming because we know it. Suddenly panicking now that the season might be ended but can’t clarify that. Any help appreciated. Also if not there where may you suggest instead that’s not too far too transfer? Thanks and also great for beginners as 2 under 12 kids will be having lessons. Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This seasons thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132840
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cad99uk, thanks the accent on the e throw the search engine Wink
latest report
According to Bergfex, Reiteralm (one of the four Schladming mountains) is open till the 15th. Alternatively Obertauern plans to open something till 1st May.
snow report
Planai currently quoting end of season being the 8th April - but may change either way due snow conditions.

https://www.planai.at/en/planai-up-to-date/mountain-report

I would recomend Obertauern.

Cheers
Kev
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy