Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to 3V at Half Term 2017 advice for stop over

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are driving to Reberty Half Term 2017 and are looking for advice on how far down to get and any recommendations for cheap stop over. Having read a lot of research on here, we are now thinking of taking out children out of school on the Friday and getting on the tunnel first thing in the morning, we live 1 mile form it, so that's easy. We are interested to know where the HT bottle necks are and at what time? and where is good cheap stop for 2 adults and 2 youngish children, so need a hotel that a room for 4. Any route tips, hotel tips etc all really welcome.

Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, @Bunches, snowHead One thing to decide early on is whether you want to arrive in Reberty very early (before 9 am) or much later (after 6). Obviously there are big advantages to being early but you don't normally have access to your accommodation before abut 4 pm so with kids that means living out of your car for the day - not ideal. If you aim to get up the mountain late you can have a much more leisurely journey.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we are doing the same Bunches...........we are going to stop either Villefranche Sur Soane I think, just north of Lyon
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a veteran of the half term trip with children we find 2 bottlenecks - the port of exit from the UK and the last part of the journey in France. The above advice will serve you well.

As for hotels, we used to book one room in an Etap (now Ibis Budget I think) or Formule 1 - I know it's only a 3 bed room with a single bunk above a double bed, but the 4 of us used to fit in fine, and nobody on the reception desks seemed to mind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dhorst that is good to know, my children will easily sleep in one bunk, but I was worried about the fuss at reception, because I too saw that hotel.

we will certainly aim to be up the mountian by 9am! it's defo all about the extra day skiing, as I believe our apartment has undercover parking, so we will change there and head out to the slopes until 4pm when they let us in.

In terms of bottle necks at the tunnel, we are going to buy a cheap fixed outward one, and a flexi return, to allow for most eventualities on the rturn. Does the tunnel get delayed even as early as the friday morning, 8.30 am? we live in folkestone, so we could easily get the ferry.

Are there any 'good' routes that miss out the tricker spots? I saw a few folk recommend going via Annacy.

Thank you so much for the responses. I adore this website and have used it for years... you helped me take the plunge and buy Rose Prizm goggles last year, which all your wonderful reviews!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So would Albertville be far enough down that if we got up and left by 7am the following morning, we would miss the really bad traffic, or do we need to be even closer? Moutier? or get up even earlier? I have heard some horrific horror stories of ques on HT transfer day!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ve just booked ours.....Hotel Parkest, just to the east of Lyon airport.....£102 family of 4 inc breakfast, via booking.com

has great reviews, so fingers crossed its the same in six months time
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sorry west of Airport
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bunches, Albertville is fine for a 7 am departure. I wouldn't leave it much past 8 though.. No need to go to Moutier
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Albertville would be a good stopover. You'll probably find traffic on approach to Moutiers on saturday morning but it shouldn't be too bad. Would recommend the drive through Annecy and we have overnighted there in the past on route to la plagne.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annacy looks lovely, how far is annacy if we stopped there? Thank you everyone for advice... I'm already excited!

I am still goign to try for eurostar overnight trains when they come on sale, but I am not holding out hope of being able to afford them, hence the driving research
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bunches, the drive is more straightforward, and shorter, from Albertville and whilst Annecy is indeed lovely you wouldn't have time to take advantage of it, really, if you plan to leave at 7 am!

Don't rely on being able to get in to the underground parking before you've checked in. Might be possible, but might not - you'll probably need an entry gizmo of some kind.

You will probably encounter some traffic delays before Albertville, for example at the south bound motorway toll stations.

Do book well in advance - all the hotels on the approaches to the ski stations will be booked solid well before the event!

Do have plenty of food and drink in your car, and keep fingers crossed that roads are clear.

Friday morning will be busy at Eurotunnel. Don't assume you'll get on as booked and don't forget you'll lose an hour. But your plan should get you down to Albertville for bed time.

Practice with your snow chains till you can do it fast, and

Good luck! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sorry, don't know why that came out double spaced...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would you believe the ibis in albertville that was available yesterday now isn't. and all the others are showing up as sold out on booking.com, so I am hoping that is just because booking hasn't opened yet!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the closer you get the alps, the higher the prices tend to be.......I was quoted £174 for what looked like a flea pit in L'Abeau D'Issey.........
snow conditions
well, I snaffled a budget ibis in Annecy for 57 for us on the friday night, but it technically only sleeps 3, but my two will top and tail in a single bed. i can cancel it up until 6pm on the day. So if i find something in Alberville I shall move.
latest report
Okay, at the risk of asking too many questions is there much differnce in the route if you go via Annecy or via Chambery?
snow conditions
Not too much difference, Chambery route is mainly motorway with some annoying toll booths in Chambery whereas the Annecy route is single carriageway from Annecy.

Albertville if you can, if not, then Annecy.

and make sure you have a doofer.....
latest report
pam w wrote:
Welcome to snowheads, @Bunches, snowHead One thing to decide early on is whether you want to arrive in Reberty very early (before 9 am) or much later (after 6). Obviously there are big advantages to being early but you don't normally have access to your accommodation before abut 4 pm so with kids that means living out of your car for the day - not ideal. If you aim to get up the mountain late you can have a much more leisurely journey.

I got there early last year and just had a huge lunch in La Ferme, got my lift passes and skis etc, and all in all a great day.
snow report
sounds perfect! can't believe I can't get an albert ville hotel. I have booked Annecy and am planning on a 6.30 - 7 leave and I have booked a Dijon hotel for the way back as we will ski that final day and head off at 4ish. is the mountain very backed up at 4,or should that be easier. I love all this advice!
ski holidays
Quote:

we will ski that final day and head off at 4ish.

I think that's a good plan. Saturdays are the best days to ski during the school holidays. The traffic down the way should have eased off a lot by 4 pm.

The earlier you get away from Annecy the better.
snow conditions
SO, is Annecy defo the best route, beucase all the sat navs are pointing to going Via Chambery.... I'm guessing you guys know better than Sat Nav, but would be delighted if anyone whould share their exact route and why that one is best
snow conditions
@Bunches, Which apartments is it?
ski holidays
Reberty - Les alpages.... can't wait
ski holidays
@Bunches, you've booked your overnight hotel in Annecy, right? From Annecy to Albertville I would personally always go by the lake route, and on the east side (quieter and prettier) though that mightn't make sense, depending on where in Annecy your hotel is. Get away early enough and you shouldn't have traffic problems. You won't see anything of the lake though; if you get an early start it'll be pitch dark and probably freezing cold. Often warmer up the mountain. If you start too late you'll see a lot of the lake...... wink
ski holidays
And be wary of relying on Sat Nav in the mountains. Always check where it's sending you and have a proper map in the car too.
snow report
We always drive to 3V via Annecy but avoid travelling through in the evening rush hours - need to be through by 4 or after 7pm as the local traffic can be horrific especially on Fridays. Should be OK along the lake early morning and you will reach Reberty in a couple of hours. We use the ferry for channel crossing as we travel from Scotland so have a full day extra and enjoy a meal on the ferry. Travel via Chambery adds extra tolls and is longer but not really any quicker if you avoid Annecy rush hours. Sat navs always want to keep you on motorways!
ski holidays
Hi snowheads... so what time do you think we need to be away from Annacy on Half Term sat - to make it up to Les menuires before it all get gridlocked on the mountain... we are thinking 6am... is that early enough
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bunches, yes I would have thought so, we did it two years ago & were on the hill in the afternoon skiing, early starts are worth the effort Very Happy
snow conditions
@Bunches, I'd say 0600 was early enough, should get you off the road at Moutiers about 0800 and, apart from the locals, don't think there will be many on the road that early.

I came out of LM on Monday (Boxing Day) at 0700 and the traffic going in didn't start building til we were past Chambery which would have been approx 0830ish.
snow report
There is a hotel chain called Hotel B&B which are excellent.

Extensive network, hotels close to motorways and major routes, restaurants etc nearby, cheap, family rooms good Wifi and decent breakfasts.
snow report
We use Hotel B&B because they do some four bed rooms
snow conditions
last 2 or 3 years we've always aimed to be on the road ( from Allevards ) by 6.30 am and for whatever reason always seem to be on the drag and actually get on the road at 7.00 getting to albertville by 7.30 , and we still had to queue for about half an hour / 45 minutes at the lights before Moutiers .so if you manage to leave at 6.00 maybe you would be half an hour ahead of us but that half hour is very important if you want to avoid jams . Also make sure you fill up with petrol on Friday night another family travelling with us decided to have a lay in and left hotel at 8.30 then queued for 45 minutes at a motorway petrol station and didnt get into Val until 3.00pm where as we arrived at about 11.00 am .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy