Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for Christmas 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all.

OK, so need to sort a Christmas (and I mean staying away for Christmas for the week) in 2017.

1) Wifey skiing is ok, but she's not up for all day every day
2) Little one is competent and by then will be kicking my backside in all probability, but being 5 (by then!) won't last out all day.
3) Needs to have the 'fluffy stuff' like huskies, and santa, and reindeer and all that none essential stuff to make it a christmas holiday with skiing, rather than skiing holiday with christmas.
4) Needs snow Happy

Where in Europe would you recommend??

Id thought of Lapland as there is skiing up that way in parts, so anyone who has any info / experience of that would be good.

Other than that, kill your boredom and give me recommendations Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Laplandy places will be very dark.

But is anyone taking bookings for christmas 2017 yet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope, not booking yet, just planning.

Yep the darkness was a slight put off, but night skiing is fun Happy (although id imagine cold and not so good for the family!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above, winter in the north is... dark and cold.

So dark that the slopes are lit most of the time. So cold that you will need to go inside every so often. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but then I like sauna and Keskiolut.

I rode a lot in Helsinki which is way south, and there you'd watch the sun peak briefly above the horizon for about 10 minutes at mid day, then it was back to sodium lit gloom. If you get Sibelius, then it's beautiful, but it's not for everyone.

I've no idea what is good for kids. The kids in BC always seem to have a ball - they have great ski schools and other things to look after them there. But you said Europe.... I don't know, Austria? Krampus aside, they wear silly clothes all the time, have umpah bands, stollen and snow. They drink beer at 10 in the morning, but unlike the Fins they tend not to get depressed about it.

I believe there are other threads here where you can speculate about which time between now and the end of 2017 is likely to be the best to change your currency.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haha cheers Phil

Dark I'm fine with (in fact it would be quite a change - and the northern lights possibility would be good!) cold eerrrrr we are ok with - This will be a ski for a couple of hours a day max kind of holiday so plenty of trips to the warm - looking to make it more about Christmas if you get me.

As for currency, its one thing I never worry about - it ruins the planning fun Happy

You mention Sauna's, are the resort(s) well equipped up there??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having done quite a few Christmas trips with small kids I'd say what they most like doing is just playing in the snow - like on a beach. Digging, making castles, chucking it around, making snow angels, little bits of toboganning on a small safe slope where they can pull the toboggan up themselves (which helps to keep them warm). skiing is OK, but they don't want to do more than a couple of hours, because of the other fun stuff.

BUT it's extremely difficult to keep them warm enough when it's extremely cold if their plodging round in the snow - gloves are the key thing; they get wet and cold, no matter how much you've paid for them.

The last two Christmases have been poor snow in Europe but my grandchildren had a ball, all the same (their parents weren't so happy) because they played outside for hours, in what snow there was in the shady area behind the apartments. And it wasn't cold.

If your lad is going to be 5 at Christmas 2017 how old is he now? Must be very young to be "competent"?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He's just turned 4, but been skiing since 3 - He won his first race a few weeks ago (proud dad boasting moment!) ands already doing freestyle, so yes he's not bad hehe. Obviously mountains will be a bit different, but we have trips planned this year, and he's skiing 3 times a week currently in those dreaded domes wink

PS I take your point about the cold and wet. The we go through 2 pair every junior club ski session with him mucking around with snow etc. Must look at Lapland temps!!! Im lucky to run quite hot, but it does leave me forgetting about others being cold Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PaulC1984, Yes Finland is dark and cold, but the Fins are aware of this and do provide outdoor fires, floodlights and hot chocolate to help you out. I've not done them myself (you know I'm all about the skiing!) but I think if you go on any safari type excursions they provide extra warm clothing as part of the deal. Also the clothing they sell locally is designed for those temperatures, so you can stock up if you get desperate.

Also, you get reindeer on the piste Toofy Grin

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, I do like the reindeer and the slope doesn't seem to have too many French on it either wink - in fact all the you tube videos show empty slopes lol
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, yes, it's a lot quieter than the Alps, although this was January so low season. It still gets busier at the weekends when the locals turn up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulC1984, Hemsedal in Norway ticks all of your boxes, including husky dogs and Santa - or rather a white-bearded Julenisse in a red suit.

We went at Christmas a few years ago precisely because we wanted to try somewhere different and to have a snow holiday with more than just skiing.

Plus points:
Easy to get there from Oslo. We had tried to book through Crystal but they had no places left on their transfer or their flight allocation with BA, so we ended up booking the exact same trip ourselves. We took the train from Oslo, then shared a taxi from the little station, with the result that we arrived in resort about 2 hours before the transfer coach.
According to other guests, the kids' ski school was excellent and the lessons were in English.
Food, service and general atmosphere were all good and the slopes were quiet.
Resort was easy to navigate, with lifts and runs all coming together at the Alpine Centre.
Huskies were a hoot - controlling them consisted of desperately hanging onto the sled while the crazy mutts dashed across a beautiful frozen lake.

Minus points:
It was cold. Very cold. Minus 18° on the first couple of days, then minus 25°, which was too cold for skiing, but ideal for walks through the forest on deep, crunchy snow or for dog-sledding or snowmobiling.
Alcohol was very expensive, so if you enjoy a wee dram, be sure to buy a bottle at duty free on the way out.
Food was quite expensive and availability in the supermarket was limited, so either book half-board or if staying in self-catering, take the half board or evening meal option that is usually offered.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@quinton, really useful thank you.

Norway / Finland seems to be ticking all the boxes. I know it's going to be cold, but skiing will be limited to a couple of hours a day, and it's more about Christmas, and the other activities, and it seems that area of the world does it in abundance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Oburgurgle.. Hotel Jenwin.. Great for xmas.. Our kids loved it, xmas carols xmas eve in austrian..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy