Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place to go snowboarding for a season (see details)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone
I am wanting to plan a ski trip for when I turn 18 after i've graduated school. Where would a good place to go snowboarding for a season based on price and mountain size?
I am an experienced snowboarder and have my own board. Seeing as I would only be 18 I don't really want to go to the United states (for obvious reasons).
It would not be solely for snowboarding, as I also want to meet new people/ experience the are whilst there, so langauge could be a factor. It would also be good to find somewhere with reasonable accomodation prices and job oppurtinites.

@Kenzie
@clarky999
@boarder2020
No idea how the tag function works Puzzled

EDIT:

Budget:
No need to buy a board/ bindings so no rental hire: $0
Flying from australia so depending on location price will vary: $200- $1500
Season pass: $700- $1500
Food: 2 minute noodles cereal and pizza Very Happy :, $2000 for 5 months
Nightlife + souvenirs + repairs + misc+ treat myself : $3500
Accomodation (Not to sure about this though): ~$20 a day, ~$2500???
Transport:: ~$700???

Total: ~$9000- $11000
Not sure if this is accurate, these are only figures pulled from my head so if anyone as a better guees please let me know, thanks!
Should have enough by the time i graduate, but still be good to be flexible

Duration:
Around 4-5 months depending on how it goes

Are you prepared to 'slum it':
Yes and no. I don't want to be sleeping in a tent or some rundown dump. But as far as backpacker hostles go/ shared acomadation i am more then happy to do this. Even then that might be better as it would mean i could get to know more people in the area, as it would be good to establish some regular friends.

Is your priority to party or snowboard the season:
Neither one nor the other. I want have a balance, because alot of either can get a bit repetative. Might like to snowboard 4-5 days a week and have the others days to rest/ club and the evenings to do the same.

Do you plan to look for work or bum the season:
Not sure yet. As far as jobs go i think that whilst i am an advanced boarder i am not sure if i am ready to teach yet; what sort of experience would you need (ie weeks skied)

Do you have a preference on location (country or more specific location)
Not sure yet still weighing up my options:
France: Great snow, size and value, possible language barrier/ price?
South Germany/ Austria: Really cheap pass, no language barrier (most germans speak fluent English in my experience)
Japan: Possible language barrier, average price, average snow
Canada: MLDA 19 Sad really great mountains- medium- to high prices
Australia/ NZ: My local resort, probably just better to drive there for a couple weeks
These are the only ones i have though of so far, i have heard China and Korea have very cheap skiing but, do not know enough about it

Where i have been before:
Japan- Happoone
US: Mammoth mountain, Lake Tahoe
New Zealand: My Hutt, remarkables, Coronet Peak

NZ is good, but small and the drive to the mountain is annoying
US is expensive but great atmosphere and night life
Japan is good and reasonably priced, allround seems decent

As far as a reasonable mountain size goes i have a few preferences. If i am going to be spending 4 months there i want to it to be fairly sizable. I just got back from the Remarkables New zealand, and spending 4 months there would be unbearable. Places like mammoth mountain were great because there was plenty to do and had a great atmosphere. I wouldnt really want to have a long drive up the mountain like in NZ. Preferably a mountain with 2500+ skiable acres. I know there are multiple mountain passes like the Tirol snowcard, but for my first trip I would prefer to stay at one mountain.

Thanks everyone i really appreciete it! [/quote]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-07-16 12:45; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your best bet is probably getting an in resort job for a tour operator. They are going to arrange and pay for everything (flights, accommodation, lift pass) meaning you don't need any cash up front and making it all very simple. You should be able to get friendly with the other seasonnaires and most European resorts have at least some form of nightlife. The negatives: lack of choice regarding resort (although some will try to accommodate your choices), possibly long hours or hours during the ski day, low wages but if you are careful there's no reason why you shouldn't at least break even.

The other option is go out at the start of the season and try to find work. Requires having some disposable cash for flights, lift pass, and up front costs for accommodation. Then you need to find a job, which may not be so straightforward if you can't speak the local language. Generally bigger resorts have more jobs, but also tend to be more expensive.

Depending on how much money you have, and your future plans, you could look into a snowboard instructor course. There are a few where you do the course the first half of the season then work the second. Think they are mostly north america though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your best bet is probably getting an in resort job for a tour operator. They are going to arrange and pay for everything (flights, accommodation, lift pass) meaning you don't need any cash up front and making it all very simple. You should be able to get friendly with the other seasonnaires and most European resorts have at least some form of nightlife. The negatives: lack of choice regarding resort (although some will try to accommodate your choices), possibly long hours or hours during the ski day, low wages but if you are careful there's no reason why you shouldn't at least break even.

The other option is go out at the start of the season and try to find work. Requires having some disposable cash for flights, lift pass, and up front costs for accommodation. Then you need to find a job, which may not be so straightforward if you can't speak the local language. Generally bigger resorts have more jobs, but also tend to be more expensive.

Depending on how much money you have, and your future plans, you could look into a snowboard instructor course. There are a few where you do the course the first half of the season then work the second. Think they are mostly north america though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dfitt10, the forums that were the heart of the site are dead now, but there's still useful info among the articles on http://www.natives.co.uk/jobs-advice. I'm not sure if their job adverts section is still running and useful or not.

In regards where you might look, what is a reasonable mountain size and what are reasonable prices in your book?

Where have you been before, and liked/dislike?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given how little info about your requirements you've given the answer is anywhere.

Try telling us the following & perhaps we can help you a wee bit more:-
What is your budget
How long do you want to be out there
Are you prepared to 'slum it'
Is your priority to party or snowboard the season
Do you plan to look for work or bum the season

The more info you can give, the better the advice can be. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dfitt10 wrote:
Hi Everyone
I am wanting to plan a ski trip for when I turn 18 after i've graduated school. Where would a good place to go snowboarding for a season based on price and mountain size?
I am an experienced snowboarder and have my own board. Seeing as I would only be 18 I don't really want to go to the United states (for obvious reasons).
It would not be solely for snowboarding, as I also want to meet new people/ experience the are whilst there, so langauge could be a factor. It would also be good to find somewhere with reasonable accomodation prices and job oppurtinites.

@clarky999,
@Kenzie,
@boarder2020,
No idea how the tag function works Puzzled

EDIT:

Budget:
No need to buy a board/ bindings so no rental hire: $0
Flying from australia so depending on location price will vary: $200- $1500
Season pass: $700- $1500
Food: 2 minute noodles cereal and pizza Very Happy : ~$6 a day, $850 for 5 months
Nightlife + souvenirs + repairs + misc: $1500
Accomodation (Not to sure about this though): ~$20 a day, ~$2500???
Transport:: ~$700???

Total: ~$7000
Not sure if this is accurate, these are only figures pulled from my head so if anyone as a better guees please let me know, thanks!
Should have enough by the time i graduate, but still be good to be flexible

Duration:
Around 4-5 months depending on how it goes

Are you prepared to 'slum it':
Yes and no. I don't want to be sleeping in a tent or some rundown dump. But as far as backpacker hostles go/ shared acomadation i am more then happy to do this. Even then that might be better as it would mean i could get to know more people in the area, as it would be good to establish some regular friends.

Is your priority to party or snowboard the season:
Neither one nor the other. I want have a balance, because alot of either can get a bit repetative. Might like to snowboard 4-5 days a week and have the others days to rest/ club and the evenings to do the same.

Do you plan to look for work or bum the season:
Not sure yet. As far as jobs go i think that whilst i am an advanced boarder i am not sure if i am ready to teach yet; what sort of experience would you need (ie weeks skied)

Not sure yet still weighing up my options:
France: Great snow, size and value, possible language barrier/ price?
South Germany/ Austria: Really cheap pass, no language barrier (most germans speak fluent English in my experience)
Canada: MLDA 19 Sad really great mountains- medium- to high prices
Australia/ NZ: My local resort, probably just better to drive there for a couple weeks
These are the only ones i have though of so far, i have heard China and Korea have very cheap skiing but, do not know enough about it

Japan- Happoone
US: Mammoth mountain, Lake Tahoe
New Zealand: My Hutt, remarkables, Coronet Peak

NZ is good, but small and the drive to the mountain is annoying
US is expensive but great atmosphere and night life

As far as a reasonable mountain size goes i have a few preferences. If i am going to be spending 4 months there i want to it to be fairly sizable. I just got back from the Remarkables New zealand, and spending 4 months there would be unbearable. Places like mammoth mountain were great because there was plenty to do and had a great atmosphere. I wouldnt really want to have a long drive up the mountain like in NZ. Preferably a mountain with 2500+ skiable acres. I know there are multiple mountain passes like the Tirol snowcard, but for my first trip I would prefer to stay at one mountain.

Thanks everyone i really appreciete it!
[/quote]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dfitt10 wrote:

Japan- Happoone

Maybe that's what you experienced on Honshu.

Average snow on Hokkaido is different. An average day mid-winter at Kiroro

http://youtube.com/v/4q8w6E6kbgI

Plenty of work available in the Niseko Resort Area, Rusutsu & Kiroro if you have a working holiday visa and a 'work hard/play hard' attitude.
Japanese language skills not needed
Many employers organise accommodation. Average shared accommodation price is AUD$660/month (JPY 50,000)
MLDA is 20 but not greatly enforced. Lots of house party drinking available
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy