Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Having read most of the thread I'm still managing to be quite excited about the coming season Very Happy

Could anyone tell me what the best way to open a french bank account is

We are planning 3 months in France and I'd like to get some euros ready

Thanks, andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, I agree everyone was ignorant.

I was out before getting in the car to vote and then I switched for purely selfish economic reasons. I was out because of some major issues that the EU couldn't deal with and the EU I want I can't have.

Failings:
Economic and refugee migration from outside the EU. Policies such as schengen are great for citizens crossing boarders for work but they rely on a lack of external migration. Germany cannot have a refugee or asylum policy without it being a schengen wide policy. - not sure that has been addressed

Euro crisis. Stemming from a huge difference in GDP between eu countries there is a major imbalance in the EU member countries and therefore there are two problems.

Euro: the currency is driven by western and Central Europe GDP so economies such as Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are squeezed with a currency value that doesn't reflect their markets. From a personal perspective a holiday which was reasonably expensive in Greece I could have paid maybe £150 and had a better one in the Caribbean. Result, I'll never go to Greece again because it's not competitive for me.

Economic migration and near shoring.
Due to the diversity in the EU block migration from Eastern European countries is significantly increased than that going the other way. Obviously there are social benefits, economic benefits in terms of workforce but there are also downsides. I know of two models in big business. People laying off highly paid employees to import low wage employees from Portugal providing accommodation for them and facilitating a wage bill reduction by 60-70% (it's a business there to make money so I can't blame them). The other model, just like outsourcing but much easier to other Eastern European coutries huge wage reductions for similar skill sets.

I don't think the EU wants to or has the unity to solve these problems which are fundamental to its existence, which is why i struggle to see where it is going from a structural principled perspective. Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The counter argument for me is that we will be broadly unchanged by leaving and it would give us more protection and flexibility if the Euro finally collapses or forces the southern Med out.

brexit also halts the continued further political, legal and fiscal (although less for UK due to not having the Euro) integration of Europe.

So in many ways, and for many people who voted to leave, it's a hedge against something that could happen.

If the Euro survives then so be it and good luck to the Eurozone. But if it doesn't and we had stayed in...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Badbobby, we are only unchanged if we remain with single market access. But. You're right it's a jump without all the facts.

An in out referendum without knowing what out is was always going to be that. Impossible to negotiate an exit package and then call a vote although I'm not sure it was front and centre of anyone's hit list before it was called? Maybe it was festering, I think things were coming to a head or at least would be in 3-5 years
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Levi215, indeed.

The problem is we will never know what would have happened if we stayed in!

I couldn't decide what side I was on so in the end I declined to vote. Neither side earned my vote.

I probably think that, however spiteful Europe might try to be, it'll come back to self interest and they'll all want to trade with the UK. Large businesses will lobby governments etc.

But that's no more than a guess. Who really knows anything? Certainly not the plums that write the algorithms that manage most of the world's currency trades!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Levi215, I think you raise some interesting questions, worth debating properly. I am under a time cosh to get some plumbing done today, but if you don't mind waiting till tomorrow, I'll rejoin then Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andymb wrote:
Could anyone tell me what the best way to open a french bank account is

This may depend on who you bank with in the UK.

Your UK bank may be able to open an account for you with their French branch and link the two for internet banking.

I have just done this with HSBC.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Badbobby, you are right that it will come down to self interest but the key question for the EU is whether they want to avoid further exits by being very firm with the UK or if they feel the UK market is more important. At present we just do not know the answer to that so we must wait and see.

It is easy to overestimate how much we are valued by the EU who have made many concessions to us over the years.

One thing is certain however. Overseas holidays will be more expensive in 2017 just because of the changes in exchange rates. Oil based fuels will be more expensive as will all imported goods. We just have to hope that the boost to exports and our own tourist industry compensates for this
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rabbie, Not disagreeing at all with you, but if every time Merkel speaks to our detriment we could protest outside an Audi garage with suitable social media, buy Japanese/British/Korean/US. Likewise, if its Hollande its the Renault garage and so on. Pressure will then be brought to bear by their unions. As for Holland - just spread the rumour that Edam is carcinogenic - that will deal with them wink .

They do need us as much as we need them, but they need to be seen to be acting tough to protect the EU, otherwise it is doomed to failure. The referendum in Hungary demonstrated the depth of feeling their (amidst voter apathy).

On another tack - if Trump is elected his team has said this morning that the UK will be first in line for a trade deal - interesting times.......

Meanwhile its time to raid the piggy bank as I need €10k a year to fund 'my habit' and having to replace a picture window with patio doors en France at short notice is going to make the pips squeak.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One other important thing that is certain.

Rich will get richer and poor will get poorer - thats the only thing thats certain!

The "working poor" who went out and voted will be worst off but they will still think its the fault of the immigrants and the really poor with their iphones and flat screen TV's.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Faux leather sofa.

Inflated pool.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rabbie, my point is that the EU autocrats may want one thing but the individual members of the EU, their people and governments, may think otherwise.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People will die

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/10/facts-of-life-and-death.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, well that was a cheerful bit of reading.
I suppose someone will be a long shortly to explain that we will be allowed to keep our cake at the same time as eating it, so all will be well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steilhang, Mr Stross is a very thoughtful fellow. I think his numbers are out, but not by orders of magnitude.
latest report
hawkwind wrote:
One other important thing that is certain.

Rich will get richer and poor will get poorer - thats the only thing thats certain!

The "working poor" who went out and voted will be worst off but they will still think its the fault of the immigrants and the really poor with their iphones and flat screen TV's.

That's pretty much it. Although I think many of the rich might get slightly poorer too for a while. But the poor always remain poor regardless of who is in power or what trading block we're in.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
...But the poor always remain poor regardless of who is in power or what trading block we're in.

That may or may not be true depending on how you define "poor".

It's not a reason to wilfully do something to make those people worse off than they would otherwise be though.
latest report
Nor, @philwig, to make early demise due to famine more likely. rolling eyes
snow report
UK Folks you are way over estimating this "EU needs the UK" thing!

Its not true. The EU does not care now you have decided to leave.

The EU is a Ploitical Project i.e closer integration open boarders. This first an foremost and non negotiable.

Economics/trade is a seconday thing. Do not get the EU confused with the Euro. Eurozone will move towards Fisacal intergration there is a paper published on the ECB website.
snow conditions
Back on topic.

People who booked & paid already with a TO will have saved a lot.

Summer Holidays & The following season 2017/18 will be dramatically more expensive.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Pruman wrote:
...But the poor always remain poor regardless of who is in power or what trading block we're in.

That may or may not be true depending on how you define "poor".

Well, that made me go look and there is a definition: https://fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/
snow report
Could sterling fall lower still?

Most certainly. Let’s face it: the government doesn’t know how Brexit will turn out, the Bank of England doesn’t know, the market doesn’t know, companies, shareholders, the man in the street don’t know. Many things determine a currency’s rise and fall, but in the pound’s case Brexit is way ahead of other causes.

In crude terms, Brexit could be good or bad for the UK. Right now, Brexit is in the tray marked “Uncertain”. And since the market hates uncertainty, the chances are that traders’ instincts will lean towards selling the pound. Currencies are probably the best proxy for the market’s opinion of a country’s economy, and when the pound fell sharply in the days after Brexit, the market had effectively downgraded the UK. That much was expected by most economists.

What matters to governments and central banks is the size and pace of currency moves. And after a summer lull, when the economy seemed to be doing better than expected, forcing economists to update their sterling forecasts, the pound is again being heavily sold relatively quickly. A pound was worth nearly $1.30 at the start of October. Barely a week later, it is worth closer to $1.24. That’s quite a decline.

Currencies move in strange ways. There is never a smooth path up or down (or sideways). Here’s Richard Bibbey of HSBC: “We’ll likely see a short period of consolidation before a further period lower. However, if we remain at these levels for a period of time, the less likely it is to materialise.”

https://www.ft.com/content/28787548-8c82-11e6-8cb7-e7ada1d123b1
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Back on topic.

Summer Holidays & The following season 2017/18 will be dramatically more expensive.

I thought that the small print for holiday bookings usually allowed the TO to adjust the price in the face of large exchange rate swings? There is a limit of something like 10 % beyond which the consumer can pull out at zero cost. Not sure if it has ever happened though.
snow report
Currency Exchanges offering 97 cents (€0.97) to the GB £ this morning at Stansted Sad - and buying back at €1.34.
snow report
@JamesHJ,
Quote:

stanton wrote:

Back on topic.

I thought that the small print for holiday bookings usually allowed the TO to adjust the price in the face of large exchange rate swings? There is a limit of something like 10 % beyond which the consumer can pull out at zero cost. Not sure if it has ever happened though.

I think different TOs have different rules. One smaller operator I'm booked with next season states...
'No surcharges are levied in the event of any unfavourable fluctuations in the components of your holiday cost. Similarly, no refunds are possible in the event of any favourable fluctuations.'

I suspect the big TOs, especially those offering flight/transfer/accommodation packages, usually allow for surcharges, to cover currency fluctuations, fuel price increases, etc.
latest report
Since 12th September the Pound hss dropped 6% against the Euro.

https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/daily_briefing/session_briefing/euro_open/2016/10/10/British-Pound-Remains-on-the-Defensive-Following-Flash-Crash.html
latest report
stanton wrote:
Since 12th September the Pound hss dropped 6% against the Euro.

https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/daily_briefing/session_briefing/euro_open/2016/10/10/British-Pound-Remains-on-the-Defensive-Following-Flash-Crash.html

Compared with your Deutsche bank tip which has dropped 12% , amazing. Sorry, up date 14%.

Also there seems increasing argument for a decrease value in a currency to get you through a recession.
ski holidays
quinton wrote:
Currency Exchanges offering 97 cents (€0.97) to the GB £ this morning at Stansted Sad - and buying back at €1.34.

Nice spread, avoid these places.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Next season DID just get expensive. It's a big birthday for Mrs HD so it's a nice posh hotel in St Anton for us this season.
snow conditions
Quote:

This may depend on who you bank with in the UK.

Your UK bank may be able to open an account for you with their French branch and link the two for internet banking.

I have just done this with HSBC.

thanks for the tip.....done a little bit of digging now, santander said no, HSBC are the only "high street" bank i can find that do this
snow conditions
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/brexiters-delighted-with-their-childlike-plans-for-the-economy-20161010115080
snow report
@Pynch, There's quality reported and then there is quality reporting ........ Puzzled rolling eyes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@snowymum, we are away around February half term for 10 days as my son is racing in Bormio. The Christmas/New Year trip was an opportunity for him to do a week of training with his race club as they will be in Austria ahead of the Ambition and Evolution races in Hinteritt in early January. The flights were not too bad and we'd found an apartment that was rather basic but reasonably priced but by the time we added car hire, lift passes, etc. it was getting too much. I'm now hoping that there is decent snowfall in Scotland so we can get some training in there. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, indeed. Satire is dead. Its just the news now... Shocked
snow report
The Brexiteers have said there will be short term pain and then long term gain
The Remainers have said there will be short term pain and then long term pain

So boths sides think there will be pain in the short term. End of discussion
snow report
Both my ski holiday's for 2017 were booked in March... so far no change in price for me apart from spending money..... lets hope it recovers for 2018 ..
ski holidays
My seasons costs have increased by almost €1000 this winter if the pound does not improve. That's a big difference when you are on a tightish budget Evil or Very Mad
latest report
This season in Austria in the larger higher popular resorts. Ischgl,Solden,St Anton etc on the hill & apres ski you can expect to pay €6-8 per 1/2litre Beer (regular draft).

Whatever way you look at it for UK visitors it will be a hell of a lit more expensive than last season.

Tour Operators will already be negotiating 2017/18 prices. There will be significant increases.

Some TO do not pay full season up front & taje a risk with full occupancy so with the fall in value of Sterling they could well of suffered some horendous losses.I do not think any TO factors in such a decline in value.
latest report
Quote:

Ischgl,Solden,St Anton etc on the hill & apres ski you can expect to pay €6-8 per 1/2litre Beer (regular draft).

Ischgl this year I was paying around 3.5 euro per half litre and 5 euro at apres. So not only has the pound dropped but the resorts have put up their prices? Rip-off merchants wink
snow report
I have just had to pay for my new French kitchen & it has cost me £700 more due to the exchange rate but on the plus side my pension pot is now £70K up due to FTSE, swings and roundabouts.
€6-8 per 1/2litre Beer that's a good enough excuse to switch to house wine at €1.40
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy