Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
@Boris, I hope so, being an accommodation owner!

I fully expect late bookings due snow however.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've booked for Xmas and will have a great time - looking forward to it already.

I'll deal with stuff when it needs dealing with - for the moment there is nothing I can do to change it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
LOL dropped another 30 cents in the time it took to write that ^^

My French salary may start to look almost like living wage in UK terms if this rout goes on Happy !!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're not DIYing this year as its a big birthday so needs a nice hotel and the boy is off skiing with school so what we save by not having to put up with half term prices will go towards something nicer.

Plus its hard work driving from oop norf for a week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris wrote:
And yet life goes on eh

FWIW - I voted Remain - but what's done is done, bleating about it and panicing is not going to help me. Yes I may pay a little more for ski trip due to exchange, but I'll have to live with that. Meanwhile I go to work, get paid and enjoy myself.

Can you not see how the pound plummeting indicates that when all this is through that the economy will be severly impacted and hence recession/job losses etc... In short you or many others may not have jobs to go in the mid term future.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Minion1980, I guess that depends on your line of work and how good you are at it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm tempted to exchange half of our holiday money this week, then play the waiting game a little with the other half.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

@Minion1980, I guess that depends on your line of work and how good you are at it

rolling eyes Yes, because if the past 10 years have taught us anything, only incompetent, lazy people ever suffer financial hardship when the economy goes to shyte...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
Hmm I actually think the DIY crowd will be the least affected, purely as we tend to be more flexible and dealing direct with chalet owners etc

I'd have said the opposite.

The big TOs will have hedged their Sterling/Euro rates so know what they're paying and what rate they're getting. It's the DIYers who are now looking to book and are seeing their 5,000Euro family holiday costing them £4,500 rather than the £3,600 it cost them last year that might think twice - even if it means cancelling when it comes time to pay the balance and losing their £500 deposits.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Instability and uncertainty are pretty bad for everyone. In the most part Brexit as a concept is economically illiterate; the markets are just waking up to an idea that the new PM might actually go through with the suicide note that her predecessor wrote.

Most people have been naively assuming she would find away not to do it, because it is such a bad call.

Pynch +1. I'll admit to having spent the summer in denial hoping that somehow the issue could have been fudged but now a 'hard' Brexit is the working assumption. The market is correcting to the new understanding, sentiment is all about perception and language goes a long way to setting that; politics, not economics is driving the government's language. Gideon Rachman wrote a piece about this in the FT earlier in the week - politics on both sides (UK, EU 27) pretty much guarantees a lose-lose outcome.

So I'm putting off booking the family trip with a TO. I'll reserve the time off work and take a call nearer to the time on what deals can be had with the prevailing FX rates, and the actual snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would question the idea that it is a good year to go DIY. It is a year where booking early with a TO could well have been the most cost effective as a lot of prices were set before the referendum result and the £ went down.

It would be possible for many people to spend the same on skiing this year as last year by making a few changes to the holiday..eg. going to a resort where the lift pass is cheaper and/or spending less on eating out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We booked 2 weeks half board in a chalet staying in La Tania at the start of they year thankfully for next March, think it will now have saved us a good chunk.
Normally we always diy but got lucky this year I guess. Now its just the two week lift pass to get kicked by!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now at the Airport. A good indication of where the spot rate will follow.

£1.00 = €0.97cents

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-3826828/Holidaymakers-one-euro-pound-airport-currency-desks-sterling-continues-suffer.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowymum, Yes folks who booked all in with a Tour Operator early will have bought a very GOOD Deal indeed.

DIY's will suffer big time unless they have a euro bank account/credit card.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minion1980 wrote:
Boris wrote:
And yet life goes on eh

FWIW - I voted Remain - but what's done is done, bleating about it and panicing is not going to help me. Yes I may pay a little more for ski trip due to exchange, but I'll have to live with that. Meanwhile I go to work, get paid and enjoy myself.

Can you not see how the pound plummeting indicates that when all this is through that the economy will be severly impacted and hence recession/job losses etc... In short you or many others may not have jobs to go in the mid term future.

What precisely should I be doing about it?????? Running around like headless chicken won't help - I'd rather get on with my day job and deal with things when they are actually concrete and real rather than what-ifs.
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:

You really are detestably arrogant aren't you?
snow report
Minion1980 wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Im really not.

It really does depend on your line of work - house builders usually get hit hardest first, then other sectors follow

Its not me trying to be an are, its fact. I used to be in ssome sectors of house building and moved for this very fact.

Its also true that in time of hardship, if redundencies are made, scales/criteria are used to select who will be made redundant and of course ones performance is a large factor in that.

Just because you dont like what I say it doesnt mean im arrogant
latest report
@Minion1980, I'm with @Boris on this one.
Not a lot I can do about it, so 'keep calm and carry on', and I'll deal with the issues if and when they arise.

Also - smug and arrogant (despite being made redundant last month - and no, it wasn't Brexit related) since we have a French bank account, and so moved £15k over @ 1.40 in April. Should keep me going skiing for a while... NehNeh
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Im really not.

It really does depend on your line of work - house builders usually get hit hardest first, then other sectors follow

Its not me trying to be an are, its fact. I used to be in ssome sectors of house building and moved for this very fact.

Its also true that in time of hardship, if redundencies are made, scales/criteria are used to select who will be made redundant and of course ones performance is a large factor in that.

Just because you dont like what I say it doesnt mean im arrogant

Well actually now that you have expanded on what you were trying to get across I take back my comment as this is all very reasonable, I read your comment as a snidey remark to say anyone worried about recession or job losses is obviously some sort of low performing scrub. It felt like a comment meant to incite reaction so I gave it to you, I apologise.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, When a proper recession hits, the redundancies become far less measured; once you get rid of 25%-50% of a sales team, for example, you're going to get rid of a lot of good staff.

Being "good" at your job is so vague as to be a pointless comment. If you work for a really top notch company then 100% of the sales staff, in my example, will all be good compared to their peers in other companies.
snow report
@Minion1980, no need to apologise, I hardly explained myself well in the first place.

@Badbobby, granted, I only have knowledge of certain sectors, so of course I can imagine sales will be hugely hit
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Im really not.

It really does depend on your line of work...

This is undoubtedly true. I guess Brexit will scarcely have any impact on the employment prospects in the undertaker trade for example...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 8-10-16 7:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
For those of you concerned about holiday prices it has been known for tour operators to add a surcharge if there are large currency fluctuations. I think it happened during the recession, and it is possible it happened to me back in the 90s. Most individual chalet and apartment operators won't be changing anything. An old article from the Gaurniad https://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/apr/26/consumeraffairs.foreigncurrency
snow report
@stanton, The airport is not and never will be an indication of where the spot rate is going. They will always be about 15 euro cents less than the interbank rate because it is a captive market and they take advantage of people who do not plan (and to recoup the costs of high rents). For instance at my local airport before security you will get 1,5 cents more to the pound than you will at the same companies office airside.

Likewise if I go to the high street it will be the interbank rate minus 5 cents, if I buy a lot from my broker its is 1.4 cents less than the interbank rate.

I know you are enjoying your moment but at least get your facts right to support your unpleasant schadenfreude.
snow conditions
Maybe we could request a name change. Schadenfreude would be PERFECT!
ski holidays
To be honest I am not that bothered by the argument whether recession is coming or not. What I, selfishly for sure, care about is that my skiing in Europe is one third more expensive than last year and my skiing in Canada one fifth more expensive than last year.

The simple fact is that proposed Brexit has sent the £ in to a tail spin. A weak £ is of tremendous benefit to those selling abroad and whose livelihood depends on it and the reverse is true if you purchase from abroad.

I like to ski. As a U.K. resident, paid in £ I am gutted my guilty pleasure is now - and for the foreseeable future - going to be way more expensive. It really is that simple.
ski holidays
I just decided not to proceed with a week I had in mind. Sad
ski holidays
@Hurtle, not skiing not an option but nobody likes economising....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, it was only one of several. wink
ski holidays
@Hurtle, good news - was about to start crowdfunding! Little Angel
ski holidays
We had been considering a week around Christmas or New Year but it is working out too expensive. The 25% drop in £:€ rate in the last year has tipped the balance.

I am getting completely pissed off at with hearing how good a low pound is for UK businesses exporting goods. Given that we import huge amounts of raw materials it won't be long before the input costs soar so factory gate prices will also soar. There may be a net:net benefit for foreign countries buying the goods due to forex benefits but we in the UK could find prices soaring.

I'm already noting the effect of the crash against the dollar as the cost of heating oil has risen by about 10% in the last couple of weeks. Granted this is not down solely to the £:$ rate as OPEC have cut production but I'm likely to be paying around 25-30% more for fuel than I did last year.

All this because Cameron was weak and a bunch of swivel-eyed xenophobes got their way.
latest report
@Snowsartre, Laughing
snow report
Gaza wrote:
We had been considering a week around Christmas or New Year but it is working out too expensive. The 25% drop in £:€ rate in the last year has tipped the balance.

I am getting completely pissed off at with hearing how good a low pound is for UK businesses exporting goods. Given that we import huge amounts of raw materials it won't be long before the input costs soar so factory gate prices will also soar. There may be a net:net benefit for foreign countries buying the goods due to forex benefits but we in the UK could find prices soaring.

I'm already noting the effect of the crash against the dollar as the cost of heating oil has risen by about 10% in the last couple of weeks. Granted this is not down solely to the £:$ rate as OPEC have cut production but I'm likely to be paying around 25-30% more for fuel than I did last year.

All this because Cameron was weak and a bunch of swivel-eyed xenophobes got their way.

Yep, the negative effects are far reaching and the benefits, what were they again?
snow conditions
We'll get higher inflation due to the amount of imports.
Gov of the Bank of England has left the door wide open for higher interest rates.
So cost of living will go up (especially your mortgage), your house will fall in value, cost of foreign holidays will rocket and your job might feel less safe.
Oh and there's more than the whiff of another banking crisis creeping up on us.
You may as well just sell the grannny and go skiing.
ski holidays
@Gaza, Could you go skiing in the Easter holidays? You would probably save your 25% by going then instead.
latest report
Some Folks in here are finally gettin it!

You have been all done over by some xenophobic /racist Little Engand Trailor Trash!
snow report
The upside that you all seem to be missing (or more accurately the reason for the vote going as it did imo) is not based in economics. That's why remain lost, they didn't tackle people's true feelings.

Those that voted to leave either;
1) don't care about the economic impact
2) care but are willing to take the pain for the perceived benefit
3) care but can protect themselves on the belief of the perceived benefit
latest report
What upside?

Most voters on both sides were ignorant of the true complications.
ski holidays
Let's not forget there are many benefits of Brexit. We gain control of our borders and will be able to reduce/ manage/ control immigration; we will get a new hospital each week. We will still be able to trade freely with our biggest export market. Sounds brilliant, Brexit.

Oh no, wait, actually we will not be able to leave the single market. We will not be able to limit immigration, including the significant new influx when Turkey finally accedes. Norway anyone? In short, we will have no veto, no voting rights and zero influence, but we will have to accept and abide by EU decisions and directives. So seems we have less sovereign influence than before. Norway is delighted with this arrangement with the EU. Oh well, at least the Norwegians can ski without having to give the currency fixing overlords forty percent more of their gold. FFS, people!
latest report
Welcome to the future. No wonder the French and Germans are telling us to hurry the f**k out....

http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-referendum-look-before-you-leap-norways-pm-tells-brexiteers/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy