Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
For anyone with euros it's worth checking UK/Sterling websites. Picked up a new pair of Brahmas from Absolute Snow with a nice exchange rate.
However, after Brexit it probably won't make sense to buy from UK websites (from Ireland) due to the extra taxes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The pound sank to about one per cent against the US dollar today amid speculation that a snap election could be called.

Although the prime minister did not announce a return to the polls during his address to the nation, the pound has remained at historic lows, falling one cent against the dollar to 1.2069.

Even after Boris Johnson walked back through the door to 10 Downing Street following his speech, the pound did not recover and continued to trade at levels rarely seen since 1985.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, currently Sterling trading at £1 = 1.10 Euro, and $1.21.

Brexit now expected to jeopardise 100,000 German manufacturing jobs, (mainly 2% of car manufacturing) and approx. 50,000 French jobs (varied sectors).

Looks like a dumb deal all round!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sterling taking a tumble this morning 34 year low against US$

The pound is being sold all over the place, because the political risk is forcing Foreign Exchange Traders no other option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stanton,

Do something and surprise us , post on a £ up day , your so predictable .

Amazingly £ / € is just below 1.10 , the same price as when you started this thread 3 years ago , which I think is unbelievable considering the political news , I’d start closing your position if I was you the £ ain’t going to parity with the € .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rob Mackley, Take a Chill Pill ..Sell Sterling everyone is !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob Mackley wrote:
the same price as when you started this thread 3 years ago , which I think is unbelievable considering the political news .
You would think that the current situation would send the GBP downwards but the EUR has also tanked against the USD since this thread opened. So the markets dont see the EUR as the safe haven that our FX guru is telling us.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BergenBergen wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:
the same price as when you started this thread 3 years ago , which I think is unbelievable considering the political news .
You would think that the current situation would send the GBP downwards but the EUR has also tanked against the USD since this thread opened. So the markets dont see the EUR as the safe haven that our FX guru is telling us.

The worry is that the Italian economy will blow up the Euro, the ECB also has QE "to the moon" restarting as well as a recession coming up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BlackRock's Thiel Sees Possibility of Pound-Euro Parity

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-09-03/blackrock-s-thiel-sees-possibility-of-pound-euro-parity-video

Should the pound plummet further and breach the 2016 low of $1.1491, the British currency would be in territory only seen during a few months in late 1984 and early 1985.
The all-time low was $1.0545 touched in March 1985, just before G7 powers acted to rein in the superdollar of the Reagan era in the so-called "Plaza Accord".
It's a level some investors believe would be tested in the panicked aftermath of a no-deal Brexit, with parity against both euro and dollar far from out of the question.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/graphic-plotting-sterlings-latest-lurch-133317448.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-09-03/blackrock-s-thiel-sees-possibility-of-pound-euro-parity-video

Does that make you happy, is that how you get your kicks - Schadenfreude?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, [quote]

Enough of the snipping and trolling ,

We shall see , my experience and I have a lot is there will be no no deal panic ,after an initial mark down if there is one , you would see a hard and fast rally. ‘ better to travel than arrive “ the saying goes .

I really am of an honest opinion that most bad news is in the £ and the markets are looking for a conclusion before they move onto other things .

The most interesting thing recently is that the trigger has been pulled on many overseas bids for UK listed companies in the last two weeks implying that the investment banks advising think the £ is close to the bottom .

We shall see .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob Mackley wrote:

The most interesting thing recently is that the trigger has been pulled on many overseas bids for UK listed companies in the last two weeks implying that the investment banks advising think the £ is close to the bottom .

The markets have not been in this situation before ..

The UK has Zero significant Trade Deals to replace the current.. These will take years not months. Reverting to WTO will add huge tarrifs to the UK.

Definite Sell until we hear about a change of direction...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So we have investment banks saying GBP close to bottom and perhaps undervalued driving the MA market and the Warren Buffet of the taxi rank saying sell. Can we have a third opinion please, I'm undecided.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, And don't you think that the UK will recoup most of the WTO tariff effects by imposing just as punitive tariffs on importing EU goods.

Effectively both Germany and France look to lose the best part of 150,000 manufacturing jobs as a result of the UK importing less European goods. There will be a significant impact on the Euro based on losing up to 3% of EU vehicle manufacturing alone due to UK importing less. This will inevitably hit the GDP of EU countries. Quid pro quo, the balance of exchange will not move Sterling downwards in medium to long term, so the only "losers" will be Forex traders in the short term. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's all very interesting to watch. The prospects of a Euro ski vacation continue to increase for this USA based Snowhead. Not that I am the Schadenfreude type, as I don't take pleasure in other's misery but I wasn't really planning a trip to Europe this ski season. But the 3V is someplace on my bucket list, and I might just check it off this season. Although I am holding off on pulling the trigger, until the winter season kicks off. I bought the Epic Pass this year, so was pretty much planning on staying state side. But the exchange rate versus years past is really too good not to consider a trip across the pond with a stop over in London on the way home. Mrs. Toadman loves to shop!

I also saw that the ECB is contemplating a rate cut this month, so that too could impact the exchange rate.
ski holidays
Sterling just loves seeing Boris Johnson getting put down down down and down.

Holidays look more promising for you Brits
ski holidays
When should I rent my skis? Toofy Grin
snow report
@stanton, Rather like German manufacturing at the moment! Production down 4.2% year-on-year as the Brexit ripples spread uncertainty in international (UK, US, China) markets begin to bite. Germany in recession will impact on the value of the Euro. Result, ………. cheaper skiing all round in comparison to 2016 prices! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, It does not effect Germans going on Holiday!!
snow report
@stanton, Expect the ECB to cut rates again. That's going to boost Sterling, push the Euro down. Whatever happens to UK/Brexit/Delay/31st October Deadline/BoJo the real impact of the UK becoming a non-contributor to the EU Bloc will be a weakened EU with one of the major net-contributors leaving. Plus the Irish-island conundrum will allow the UK to place punitive import charges on any EU bloc countries trying to "smuggle" goods into the UK via Eire. It's beginning to look like the power-houses of the EU are entering recession. Skullie
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, Can you stop drifting of topic.
The last Three Years Turmoil in Sterling v Euro/Dollar lays 100% completely 100% in the UK and of the UK own making.

A recovery in Sterling will ONLY happen on one Course of events. You can see that from the previous week anti No Deal/Extn actions.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah, Can you stop drifting of topic.
The last Three Years Turmoil in Sterling …….

The last three years since you started this thread there has been no significant long term fall in Sterling against the Euro.

QED …... your original premise that "next season is going to be more expensive" has not been the case over the past 3 ski seasons.

Brexit has had no significant contribution to "more expensive" ski holidays.

"Ski Holidays" are a highly complex set of costs and purchases and reflect the disposable and available cash/credit of skiers.

"Highly Complex" is possibly a concept unfamiliar with your good self, as you are a migrant worker in St Anton and live/work in that "bubble".

Despite "costs" increasing that make up a "ski holiday", what an individual "spends" on or during a ski holiday may or may not fluctuate with Sterling's Forex.

I may miss out on a couple of bottles of decent wine, Mrs Skimastaaah may miss out on a new Moncler ski jacket from Strolz, but ultimately it will be these "extras" that will not be spent in the ski resorts, whatever the exchange will be post-Brexit.

I expect lift pass prices to go up, especially in the Arlberg where there has been substantial investment. I expect hotel prices to be competitive and similar.
latest report
@skimastaaah,

Another Whingin Clueless Brit reply.

Please you have no idea what your talking about...

Lift pssses go up every year.....

Sterling has not declined..are you for real?

Earn your turns...hike...
latest report
1 Pound =$1.10 and €1.03 Coming !!!!

1.115 currently
ski holidays
The Reality..for Sterling

https://www.exchangerates.org.uk/news/27127/2019-09-07-week-ahead-gbp-outlook-where-next-for-brexit-and-uk-economy-pound-sterling-to-euro-dollar-exchange-rates.html
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,

Another Whingin Clueless Brit reply.

Please you have no idea what your talking about...

Lift pssses go up every year.....

Sterling has not declined..are you for real?

Earn your turns...hike...

Retard. snowHead
snow report
stanton wrote:
At the close: Markets enter reverse as Brexit strains stack up

1 Pound =$1.10 and €1.03 Coming !!!!

http://www.cityam.com/244909/sterling-crashes-analysts-slash-outlook

Your original post!

How wrong can you get?
ski holidays
@skimastaaah,

Sterling is extremely volatile right now..I would go as far as say in dangerous territory.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Agreed, but you said that 3 years ago!

In the past 3 ski seasons I've found that my ski holidays have been much more reasonable AND better value for money Sterling/Euro!
ski holidays
It'd be interesting to develop something similar to the Economist 'McDonalds Burger' Index, but for a ski holiday. The Economist surveys the cost of a Big Mac in different countries as an indicator of the cost of living - it's a surprisingly useful measure. Perhaps SnowHeaders could make some suggestions as to how a Ski Index would work? Perhaps we could call it something like The Snowball Index?

Just looking at individual tourist exchange rates is pretty crude in comparison to the complex composition of costs that make up a skiing holiday, especially if flight costs are a significant component.

One way would be to look at the cost of, say, renting the same chalet for a week in the same school holiday, from year to year. It'd be more meaningful if you did this for a reasonable number of places from different resorts and countries. And do the same for renting equipment. The difficulty is that the data you'd need is probably already lost for previous seasons. And you don't want the process to be over-complicated or unrepresentative. ANd there's obviously a difference between self-catering and catered (or is there?).
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
It'd be interesting to develop something similar to the Economist 'McDonalds Burger' Index, but for a ski holiday. The Economist surveys the cost of a Big Mac in different countries as an indicator of the cost of living - it's a surprisingly useful measure. Perhaps SnowHeaders could make some suggestions as to how a Ski Index would work? Perhaps we could call it something like The Snowball Index?

Just looking at individual tourist exchange rates is pretty crude in comparison to the complex composition of costs that make up a skiing holiday, especially if flight costs are a significant component.

One way would be to look at the cost of, say, renting the same chalet for a week in the same school holiday, from year to year. It'd be more meaningful if you did this for a reasonable number of places from different resorts and countries. And do the same for renting equipment. The difficulty is that the data you'd need is probably already lost for previous seasons. And you don't want the process to be over-complicated or unrepresentative. ANd there's obviously a difference between self-catering and catered (or is there?).

Best to keep to common values across resorts then, i.e; day's rental for ski package, day's Lift pass/domain skiable/accessible (i.e 75 €/$/£ to access a 100km pisted domain is gives a 0.75 value), pint/.5l of beer.

Not sure of lunch on the hill could be averaged out, as there seems to be lots of variation by altitude, maybe pick average meal cost per height?

Accommodation - not sure there is easy equivalence drawn between chalets and hotels
snow report
There is the Post Office ski report

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report

but I don't know where they get some of their prices !!
snow report
LaForet wrote:

Post Office do something similar annually

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/family-ski-report
snow conditions
Snap !!
snow conditions
Presumably good for Europe (though can't download the file to see detail), what items can be compared globally?
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/pound-drops-to-1-nectar-point-20190909188853
snow conditions
Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Slips ahead of Expected Week of Volatility

Last week’s week of UK political chaos actually ended up with the Pound Sterling to Euro (GBP/EUR) exchange rate advancing, slightly, but as new political uncertainties set in this morning the pair is under pressure again.

-------------------

Today’s big focus will be the upcoming events of UK Parliament. The bill to prevent a no-deal Brexit is expected to be passed successfully, and parliament is expected to block an attempt at an early election in October.

Normally, this would leave the Pound stronger. However, speculation that Prime Minister Boris Johnson could continue to aim for a no-deal Brexit through some kind of loophole will keep markets on edge.

https://www.euroexchangeratenews.co.uk/pound-euro-early-election-unlikely-29134
ski holidays
@LaForet,

Big Mac Index has been around since 1986...and it is quite a good benchmark

Check out the price of a Big Mac (Only the Burger) that we have to pay in Switzerland.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

You can expect those prices in the UK after you leave the UK but not the Swiss Salary.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Slips ahead of Expected Week of Volatility

?? Its up 0.5%.....
latest report
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah, It does not effect Germans going on Holiday!!

How could it effect that?

Do you mean affect, by any chance? Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy