Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
The OP from Wed 06 Jul, 16:

stanton wrote:
At the close: Markets enter reverse as Brexit strains stack up

1 Pound =$1.10 and €1.03 Coming !!!!

http://www.cityam.com/244909/sterling-crashes-analysts-slash-outlook

It's taken a long time, a lot longer than I'm sure stanton would have predicted - had he a real clue he would have said by when - but he could yet be right. Like a stopped clock is on occasion.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Layne, If Hard Brexit on 31 Oktober...

I will be right...

Anysign of anything else ( deal,revoke #50) Sterling will be set for a rebound...

It is not Rocket Science..

Markets have ZERO confidence in Post Brexit UK...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
09/08/2019 13:00 (CET) the spot exchange rate is 1GBP = 1.078 EUR
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
...It is not Rocket Science....
My girlfriend is actually a rocket scientist, if it helps. But of course you're right. 48% of the people are well aware of all this, mind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Markets have ZERO confidence in Post Brexit UK...

and not much confidence elsewhere in europe.............so much for the marvellous euro project

https://www.ft.com/content/cb2591ac-ba44-11e9-96bd-8e884d3ea203

https://www.reuters.com/article/eurozone-bonds-italy/update-2-italys-bond-yields-rise-after-salvini-calls-time-on-government-idUSL8N2551AQ

wonder if the Italian credit rating will wobble a bit later today?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sterling has taken another pounding after the UK’s economy was shown to have contracted in the second quarter, adding to the economic woes on top of no-deal Brexit concerns.

Should the UK leave with no-deal, the Pound is likely to remain weak for several years until the country and the EU readjusts..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
Sterling has taken another pounding …...Should the UK leave with no-deal, the Pound is likely to remain weak for several years until the country and the EU readjusts..

Totally agree with you Stanton! But surely...….. 17.4 million of the UK Electorate never actually voted for this, with BoJo and Gove egging them on. Now those two are in charge of Brexit and actually planning for a "No-Deal". Expect riots in the UK leading up to 31st October, food shortages and empty shelves in Tescos/Waitrose/Sainsburys (the UK supermarkets), civil unrest, mass demonstrations, power shortages/cuts ……………… water rationing.

We're all doomed, doomed DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I reckon I'm still going skiing a couple of weeks in the 2019/2020 season. Just like a lot of Snowheads! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimastaaah wrote:
empty shelves in Tescos/Waitrose/Sainsburys (the UK supermarkets), civil unrest, mass demonstrations, power shortages/cuts ……………… water rationing.

Muy local shops are coop and Lidl, and water is from the UK so no worries here snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinm wrote:

My local shops are coop and Lidl, and water is from the UK so no worries here snowHead snowHead

Got an Aldi as well? You'll be well okay!

Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely shocking, the current strength (or lack) of the pound. I am somewhat gutted that we are going to be slaughtered on our Feb 2020 trip to Colorado... Shocked

That's small minded Little Britain for you I suppose Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reality at Consumer level
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:

Got an Aldi as well? You'll be well okay!

Shocked

Yep, but not quite as close snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now that some of the realities of a No-Deal-Brexit are becoming evolved, I've got to agree increasingly with Stanton! (Sadly!!!!!!!)

Sterling is going to take a considerable hit in the short and medium term, and this has an obvious effect on Euro holidays.

However, I still maintain that ultimately it will be the resorts that will "suffer" as Brit-skiers eat less on the mountain and in resort, drink less in the bars, stay in better priced hotels or locations, and generally cut their cloth accordingly. Families will still head for SC in French resorts, cheapies will still be Bulgaria and Andorra, Italy will draw in more UK skiers, Switzerland will suffer the greatest loss, Austria will remain Austria, and make adaptations so that UK skiers still find skiing attractive there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s a double whammy, climate change and Brexit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really want a stronger pound, not madly so, just say back to 1.2 against the euro, but agree with skimastaaah, I have scope to cut back, few less beers and wine, maybe one less meal out and it'll cost about the same. I'll still have a great holiday as the skiing is the main thing but the bars and restaurants will take less. Same with summer holiday, enjoy the eating and drinking but still scope to cut back and enjoy the main part of the holiday. If the pound stays low for an extended period will consider going to cheaper parts or world that want to visit at some stage but poor exchange rate may just bring those trips forward.
If us Brits do have to cut back there will be health benefits so we become a leaner, fitter nation. To quote Radiohead, "Happier, more productive..."
latest report
@No Style, We seldom cut back on the unhealthy things. If austerity made us healthier then the poor would be living longer, smoking and drinking less and be less obese than the rich. It ain’t so.
snow conditions
I was playing devil's advocate. In Orwell's Road to Wigan Pier he mentions how people in dire straights always seemed to scrape money together for cheap but unhealthy treats and little seems to have changed in nearly 100 years.
ski holidays
10/08/2019 the spot exchange rate is 1GBP = 1.06 EUR

1GBP lowest against US$ in 34yrs 1985.

SELL Sterling convert into safe €euros or SwissFranc ..Gold
snow report
stanton wrote:

March 2009 £1 = 1.03 Euros!

Still a bit of a drop yet for Sterling.
latest report
stanton wrote:

Markets closed on weekends, so spot price is always lower.
Never change holiday money on a weekend!
snow report
The day before Brexit vote GBP = 2.11 CAD now =1.59. Terrifying.
snow report
On the positive side the UK must be getting very cheap for international visitors, particularly if travelling outside the capital. That should be good news for our balance of payments.

Must be some good bargains on Scottish season passes snowHead
snow conditions
"..March 2009 £1 = 1.03 Euros! …"

1.02 in December 2008 !!
latest report
There are some individuals on this Forum living in a denial status..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/pound-to-euro-dollar-exchange-rate-no-deal-brexit-value-a4211551.html
snow report
Denial, that's in Egypt and not sure skiing is up to much. Although there is some sand skiing I believe
snow conditions
Europe this up coming winter is looking a bit more attractive for this Yank. Might have to consider a stopover in London to help the economy out on the way back...
snow conditions
LIVE: Sterling set to hit new 10-year low within weeks, says major forecaster ING

The bank said sterling EURGBP=D3 could fall to 95 pence per euro this quarter and that the British economy would feel the pressure too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-ing/ing-says-brexit-heading-towards-delay-with-40-chance-of-an-uk-election-idUSKCN1V30NN
ski holidays
@stanton, Doomed we all are!! snowHead

BUT....……… the sun will still rise, snow will still fall, and I'll still go skiing despite the consequences of Deal or No Deal Brexit.

Okay so Lift pass and Hotel prices are going to be much more expensive, however...……...
I still maintain that the real losers in a poor exchange rate with Sterling will be the in-resort services. I'll change my skis 20/21 season and not 19/20. My ski boots will last yet another season longer, I'll not buy new gloves, new ski-pants, new ski jacket this year, I've already bought new ski goggles, helmet, out of season in ridiculous sales and stupidly low prices. So no low value GBP exchange rate for new ski gear on my next couple of trips. My only worry is that the Edelweiss resto in Le Fornet has left out the Gourmet Steak-Burger with White Truffles from the A La Carte (defo the best on-mountain burger anywhere for 35 Euros), and that a bottle of the Batard-Montrachet does not go much above 300 Euros a bottle! That would mean I'd got to go for the Corton Grand-Cru.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimastaaah,

Folks should go Skiing/Snowboading NOT Shopping! But if you must we will carry on charging you way above normal prices. Dont forget to Tip!
snow report
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,
Dont forget to Tip!

thought you said europeans get paid enough & dont need tips.
latest report
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,

Folks should go Skiing/Snowboading NOT Shopping!

YOU are COMPLETELY ignorant of some aspects of a ski holiday!
I for one, do not want to buy the ranges of ski gear carried by an over-priced set of UK based ski-retailers! There is a much better selection of European ski gear manufacturers in European ski resorts than the (often "fashion") ski stuff of UK high street retailers. Greater ranges of both ski hard wear and ski clothing, frequently at much better prices. For some one like your self who spends a considerable time in a ski resort, "shopping" is not a conscious nor obvious thing. I go skiing …. yes! BUT I take advantage of a much wider range of ski-goodies! I doubt that I'm alone in this!
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, Stop Whinging ..
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,

Folks should go Skiing/Snowboading NOT Shopping! But if you must we will carry on charging you way above normal prices. Dont forget to Tip!

what is this "we" ?
ski holidays
@Zorrac, he's a taxi driver our Nigel - he likes his tips
snow report
@skimastaaah, he likes to pretend he's a hardcore ski bum who is out from first dawn to late evening shredding hardcore lines off-piste

No-one believes him

Me I like a bit of retail therapy as well
snow report
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah, Stop Whinging ..

Pot,...…….. Kettle,...……….. Black.

*quiet aside. soto voce* ……. Stanton, …. I'm taking the pi$$. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Boris, He's easy to spot in the Taxi rank at St Anton ………….. the 7 year old Skoda estate with Dutch plates. wink
snow report
Quote:

I really want a stronger pound, not madly so, just say back to 1.2 against the euro

From a macro economics point of view, why would you want that? A weak currency is supposed to be great for the overall economy. If the pound is 20% weaker vs the euro, than that should negate a 20% tariff imposed on UK exports, non? The best hand China has in the trade war vs Trump is de-valuating the Yuan (at least from what I've read). So a weaker pound shouldn't be a worry for the EU rather than UK?
snow report
It was from a cash in the pocket on holiday point of view, nothing more involved than that.
snow conditions
@sugardaddy, Doesn't China produce much of it's raw materials too though? From what I understand, many of the UK's manufacturers have to buy their raw material from overseas which negates the positive effects of selling with a weak pound.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy