Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
martinm wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I think Dutch Taxi drivers are to people to who you refer Toofy Grin

aka ……….……….. a Eurocretin. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back to the original theme of this thread...……………

Sterling has had a bumpy ride against the Euro for well over a decade. In 2009 I remember virtual parity £/Euro when exchange rates were drastic. THE most expensive ski holiday for me ever, Val d'Isere the week after the world championships in 2009, shocking prices on the mountain, gallic indifference in the resort, prices in Roubles said it all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/0TVFc9fhLVY
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimastaaah wrote:
Back to the original theme of this thread... In 2009 I remember virtual parity £/Euro when exchange rates were drastic. THE most expensive ski holiday for me ever...

I think you mean "the most expensive so far". Sky just reported the BoE as suggesting that "No-deal Brexit could leave pound at record low".
https://news.sky.com/story/no-deal-brexit-could-leave-pound-at-record-low-bank-of-england-11774647
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, I stopped skiing in an over-priced France after that holiday. Must have skied the Arlberg a dozen times since, and the Aosta valley more than half a dozen times, and found just as exciting skiing, much better value for money on the mountain and in resort, and genuinely pleasant and welcoming locals. Since 2009 (lowest sterling value that I can remember) I've not paid anywhere near as much for my holiday-total-costs as in Val. And I reckon that my hotel experiences are much more worthwhile (usually 4* in Lech/Warth/St Anton/St Christoph/Stuben/Champoluc/Courmayeur/La Thuile).

But I'm now fully in agreement with Stanton that Brexit is a real f*ck up for the exchange rate, and something that BoJo and his "Leave" cronies never really factored in to the longer term equation. Throwing new money to "soften" the planning for a Hard-Brexit is just p*ssing in the wind, and possibly lining the coffers of old school chums!

(Allegedly mi-Lud, without prejudice opinion, not meant to be taken seriously by the Brexit-Police, nor meant to be offensive to the sensitivities of any "leave" voter, or "Remain" voter either!!!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/dERzZd7n6iM
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-7305563/Pound-falls-against-dollar-euro-travellers-do.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sterling is a SELL

"Back in the real world, the pound is already being treated like a volatile emerging markets currency. Last week Edinburgh festival artists refused to be paid in sterling, demanding euros and dollars. The “debauching” of the pound is fully under way."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/04/brexit-sterling-nosedive-falling-pound-britain?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Last week Edinburgh festival artists refused to be paid in sterling.."

Should have paid them with Scottish bank notes instead Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
"Last week Edinburgh festival artists refused to be paid in sterling.."

Should have paid them with Scottish bank notes instead Smile

Or tulips. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Sterling is a SELL

"Back in the real world, the pound is already being treated like a volatile emerging markets currency. Last week Edinburgh festival artists refused to be paid in sterling, demanding euros and dollars. The “debauching” of the pound is fully under way."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/04/brexit-sterling-nosedive-falling-pound-britain?

Do you see the markets yesterday?
Everything was a nose dive.
EuroZone is on the brink of a recession. A huge recession when the UK has left. French & German economy cant support the 20 nations who don't contribute to the EU budget.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It’s a worry snowHead
Keep Calm and Carry on Sliding

http://youtube.com/v/Rdk-rHAndNc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Pound-to-Euro exchange rate is closing in on two-year lows, having been quoted at 1.0871 on Tuesday, while the Pound-to-Dollar exchange rate is quoted at 1.2184: the current month low is at 1.2079
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dollar to be de-valued ??

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/05/business/usd-yuan-currency-war/index.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
The Pound-to-Euro exchange rate is closing in on two-year lows, having been quoted at 1.0871 on Tuesday, while the Pound-to-Dollar exchange rate is quoted at 1.2184: the current month low is at 1.2079

worldwide recession coming...
ski holidays
Sterling 0.03% down at 1.216 versus the US dollar, and down 0.34% at 1.082 against the euro.
ski holidays
Germany cackled. Will be in recession next month & rest of EU to follow.
Leaving at the right time.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, and you think the UK will not be in an even worse recession....depression?

Wake up and smell the Coffee.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@Mr.Egg, and you think the UK will not be in an even worse recession....depression?

Wake up and smell the Coffee.

Single rich nation, not 2 nations propping up the other 27. Bye bye eu & then eu project finished.
snow conditions
£1.00 = €0.85 cents 2020

Sell Sterling
snow report
I was struggling with insomnia before I discovered this thread.
#sleeplikeababy
snowHead
snow report
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germany-set-to-slide-into-recession-after-devastating-factory-figures-ccctm0zcf
latest report
@Mr.Egg, The German recession in the manufacturing sector is due to the idiot in the White House and his personal trade war between the China and the United States. ,,

Germany will weather it ..everyone wants & buys German products.

However, the longer-term outlook for the UK economy is clouded with uncertainty. the current trend for GBP is that it could potentially fall of a cliff.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@Mr.Egg, The German recession in the manufacturing sector is due to the idiot in the White House and his personal trade war between the China and the United States. ,,

Germany will weather it ..everyone wants & buys German products.

However, the longer-term outlook for the UK economy is clouded with uncertainty. the current trend for GBP is that it could potentially fall of a cliff.

If everyone wants to buy german products, then manufacturing wouldnt have slumped. Supply & demand clearly shows nobody is buying german products.
snow report
@Mr.Egg i would not worry about Germany....
Folks in the UK should be way way more concerned and worried about your destiny ...

WHAT’S THE DOWNSIDE OF A WEAK POUND?

At this time of year most people will focus on how much more their summer holidays will cost and how to stretch the budget when abroad, but the impact goes far deeper.

A weak pound makes imports like food, clothing and electrical goods more expensive, while upping the cost of filling the car on the petrol forecourt.

For investors weak sterling is also leading to the drying up of investment flows into UK funds and stocks.

‘We’re seeing a marked shift out of Britain and into mainland Europe .

The weakening pound is certainly the major contributor to the decline in UK stock allocations but it reflects caution over Brexit from an equity perspective too.’

UK’s portion of global equity funds has fallen to 7.87%, from a peak of 11.5% in 2011.

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/article/why-sterlings-meltdown-could-get-worse-and-what-that-would-mean,
snow conditions
@stanton,
I didnt vote for people in the UK, i voted for me.
Things may cost a little more, but my wallet can cope.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
@stanton,

Finally your realising with the Topic ..

.....................Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive! .................................
snow report
stanton wrote:

.....................Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive! .................................

Heard it all before ………………………………… FAKE News! Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@stanton,

Finally your realising with the Topic ..

I have already told you, I have booked up this season & its worked out cheaper than last season.

I am even tempted to squeeze in another trip end of March with the money I have saved.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
I have already told you, I have booked up this season & its worked out cheaper than last season.

I am even tempted to squeeze in another trip end of March with the money I have saved.

I'm calling BS on this one.

Care to put a factual breakdown on this?

For the record here I am expecting everything to cost the same or a smidge higher (apartment, lift pass, fuel, tolls, food) but everything paid in Euro's will be subject to the exchange rate at the time of purchase. So currently 1.08 as opposed to iirc 1.12 last season means a smidge more expensive. So a couple of smidges more expensive.

What constituent parts of your holiday are you expecting to be cheaper and how so?
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

I'm calling BS on this one.

Care to put a factual breakdown on this?

For the record here I am expecting everything to cost the same or a smidge higher (apartment, lift pass, fuel, tolls, food) but everything paid in Euro's will be subject to the exchange rate at the time of purchase. So currently 1.08 as opposed to iirc 1.12 last season means a smidge more expensive. So a couple of smidges more expensive.

What constituent parts of your holiday are you expecting to be cheaper and how so?

Last year my money was changed between 1.09 & 1.12ish
We going 2 weeks earlier this year due to the only date our group can go & the chalet is cheaper by 200 euro + there is 11 of us this year, compared to 9 last year. Savings are around £50 - around £20 for going earlier + £30 for the +2
Flights with Easyjet (into Lyon £66) instead of Flybe (£93) (since no more cardiff to chambery when we booked) are £30 each cheaper once taking in the extra fuel to bristol
We have hired & paid for car hire (around 1.15-16 when we paid) - last year was transfers - that will probably work out around the same by the time we pay for fuel, buy snowchains, etc. We paid 900 euro last year (9 of us) & this year we have spend 645 euro for a 9 seater van & 5 seater car (booked last week of April & fully paid up for the 5% discount)
I am expecting lift pass to increase by 5 euro
Last year we bought mostly from resort shop for food, this time we plan on stopping at a hypermarket when leaving lyon - so that will save a bit, depending on how organised we are!
Looking at my spreadsheet, last year worked out at £760 each, this year its about £635+whatever ski hire will cost, as that is the only thing I have not booked & collected for.
Everything is either paid, or already sitting in my revoult euro account.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, so it's cheaper because you are doing things differently, not comparing like for like.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mr.Egg, so it's cheaper because you are doing things differently, not comparing like for like.

same resort, same chalet. Its pretty much like for like for what I am in control of.
Because of the +2 we are driving (which will work out around the same - otherwise transfers for 11x would have been a lot more!) & forced to fly to Lyon because Flybe had not announced the routes & dropped Jets from Cardiff.
Some could not make our usual dates (though by the time we settled on a date our usual week was booked anyway). So had no choice to go earlier, which also then added a +2 to the group.
The elements are the same though.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Exactly, which is what I figured and why I asked.

Mr.Egg would serve very well in the current Tory Government with the subversion of the truth.
snow report
Layne wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Exactly, which is what I figured and why I asked.

Mr.Egg would serve very well in the current Tory Government with the subversion of the truth.

so are you flying in the same plane with the same seat? going to the same check in desk to see the same checkin person? or do you think there are things out of your control?

Ski Holiday to the same destination, staying in the same place, for the same amount of nights.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Its pretty much like for like for what I am in control of.

FFS, "pretty much" and "what I am in control of" does not equal "like for like".

It's not the same week(s), it's not the same number of people, not the same flight company route. It is nowhere near like for like.

And even given all that it's only going to be something like £50/£60 cheaper which will not pay to "squeeze in another trip end of March".

You're just bare faced lying.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's a crap attempt at trolling from him as usual. He typed out all the minutiae knowing that the dates were different; even he isn't stupid enough to think that's even remotely comparable.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

And even given all that it's only going to be something like £50/£60 cheaper which will not pay to "squeeze in another trip end of March".

Same as last year. £50 flight & accomodation paid for on hotel points.
snow report
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

It's a crap attempt at trolling from him as usual. He typed out all the minutiae knowing that the dates were different; even he isn't stupid enough to think that's even remotely comparable.

its £20 difference - even excluding that, it is still cheaper.

Cant help your brain not working
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, you're winding is all up but anyway at least others can see how you've been pulled apart again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy