Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
I think that if you 'have had enough of experts' then you don't care. It's expensive for people here, but much more so for those who wanted it. What can you do? Wait until they learn? Sunderland seems a likely lesson.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mini demand will be higher in Europe, and we will sell more, and hire more staff. Also as BMW, Merc, Audi VW Fiat, Renault, Skoda, etc etc will all be more expensive in the UK, Demand for Mini and Jag and Landrover at home, will not be significantly effected, or may even benefit. Aghh - the invisible hand.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@twoodwar, This is about the cost ofcKi vacations this season!

For a Family of Four it will be significant.

Post Brexit start saving double/treble whatever you do now!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@twoodwar hear, hear! To get back to the OP - The £:CHF rate is now down 19.8% against against it's 12-month high and 20.5% down against the € over the same period. And this is part of a trend that was already in place even before Brexit, although that has made it worse. My guess is that a lot of Winter 16/17 packaged holidays will have had their airfares and accommodation pre-fixed, so it may not be that bad in terms of fixed costs. But discretionary costs (i.e. meals out, drinks etc.) will be noticeably higher. The full effect is going to be felt Winter 2017/18, if the trend continues or even just stabilises at current -20% rates. Of course, that's a long way off and by then we'll be in the Notification period when the Europeans will be begging us to sell them unrestricted exports at the same time as closing our borders to all those EU citizens who support our NHS, hotels, elderly care and coffee outlets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hawkwind, bloke who plastered 3 rooms wanted cash, scaffolders wanted cash, builder who fitted staircase, cash.

£16,000.00 cash.

I don't think for a second they are signing in, but some of the bods might have been.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hawkwind, my window cleaner wants cash, he might be signing on.

I was not knocking any trade, I know a plasterer with about 12 guys, still happy for a cash job at the weekend. He seemed very good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Norrin Radd,
16k job is VAT
thats why the small builder is cheaper than the flashy advert guy on tv.
I dont know the thresholds anymore but its around 70k
its much more competitive to price the job among trades to avoid the vat and big tax
so all the workers are paying tax out of their allowance to ensure the builder remains competitive.
Im a bit tipsy hence im not 100% on the figures.
We all want cash because we cant survive paying our way , we did the training and lifes trades just like the other folk who invested decades to fix houses.
Now we are all on a race to the bottom to see who will work for minimum wage and zero rights
im good so im all right jack , i also have empathy , Be Nice please! it aint easy for most , been there done that , i have a tiny flat and little outgoings saves me
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkwind, hi , 16k was the total, the stair case/ hole in the wall but was the most expensive at 13k, I had assumed he was vat registered, but ultimately as it was my money I had no need for vat one way or another, but I get what you are saying.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Norrin Radd, @hawkwind, @twoodwar,

This thread is about the %% increased cost of Snowsports for UK visitors to the Eurozone this season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, I notice the Arlberg lift pass is significantly more expensive this season (£230 1 week!). Direct impact of the new lifts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dr John, Just costed up a one week lift pass at Les Arcs in sterling and it came to £235 (1.145 euros to the pound) if you buy it now, or £261 if you buy it after the end of November at current exchange rates. And there are no new lifts; the rise is entirely due to the devaluation of sterling.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mjit wrote:
achilles wrote:
I am unclear why a low exchange rate is a bad thing for the pound. So far it does seem to have been quite a good thing, with industry tthriving. Dearer holidays overseas may be irritating - but are a minor problem on the grand scheme of things.

What you're not seeing yet is the natural lag in the economy. Yes, at the moment industry is thriving but then they are working through stock and 'raw materials' bought at one exchange rate and selling 'finished goods' at a lower one.

To take Mini as an example the steel (or at least steel futures) for the cars being built at the moment would have been bought some time ago based on a the pre-vote exchange rate. The factory costs (wages, etc) are paid in Sterling so unchanged and the price of a Mini at a UK dealer unchanged but the exchange rate drop means that same Mini at a French/German/American/etc dealer is now 10% cheaper than it was pre-vote.

This can't last though. At some point all those futures deals on energy supply and raw materials will run out and new ones at the new exchange rate kick in. When that happens things reverse because you're now buying 'raw materials' at the new, lower exchange rate. Suddely the raw steel, etc will costs 10% more to by in, so Mini will have to put the price of their cars up. Outside the UK this will just put them back where they were, so sales will drop back to pre-rate change levels. In the UK however it will be a real increase in the sticker price. Wages won't have gone up though so fewer people will be able to affort to buy Minis in the UK. A drop in demand will mean Mini dropping output, maybe requiring fewer staff but certainly buying less from their UK supply chain, who may require fewer staff, etc.

Some cogently argued points there Mjit. A low exchange rate has both benefits and drawbacks.

Bottom line: both Continental Europe and UK manufactures pay the same raw material price. However, added value leading to the final price is in £ for the UK manufacturer v € for the European counterpart. Ergo et propter hoc our exports become cheaper in €, $ or whatever, whereas imports from Europe became more expensive in €. Wizard. Already working for one manufacturer I know.

However, we stray off topic. Of course European holidays will become more expensive.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, EK pass now £245. I'll have to switch to house wine at lunch at this rate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ironically I'm also after a Les arcs pass and every day I wait to see if the rate will start to recover and everyday its going down. Still can't decide if to buy now or hope for a spike towards the end of the month, from what I'm reading though not a chance....

Got to buy by the 30th though for the 10% discount so that's key.

Dr John at this rate it will need to be BYOB
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John wrote:
@stanton, I notice the Arlberg lift pass is significantly more expensive this season (£230 1 week!). Direct impact of the new lifts?

The published Lift rates in Euros have not changed & i do not think they have gone up much from last season.

Off course if you buy your lift pass in Sterling & with a Credit Card the price will be significantly higher than last season.
snow report
@achilles, Can you not read?

This thread is about the %% increased cost of Snowsports for UK visitors to the Eurozone this season!!

(Not about UK Industry imports & exports)
snow report
Quote:

However, we stray off topic. Of course European holidays will become more expensive.

@stanton, can you not read what the last comment in that post was?????
snow report
@clarky999, here here.

I'm 28, live in a rented house with my OH, trying to save for a house deposit, engagement ring, new car etc...whilst still trying to lead a "normal" life.
Holidays inc ski trips are very important to me and the £/€ slump is certainly not making things more comfortable.
ski holidays
@AthersT, I'm far from trying to say how people should spend their money but there was a time when doing all that was out of most peoples leagues let alone those on lower wages.

Around the time I got engaged and bought a house, I had to work 7 days a week for nearly 4 years, no holidays etc etc. Its all about what we want and what we can afford, change to exchange rate or not. (although I agree its pretty poo-poo missing the annual hols!)
snow report
@PaulC1984,I don't have an issue with people being able to offset risk and make the most of the situation. In fact it should be encouraged.

For me the way I read your comments it was a little galling, as it will be the people in situations similar to mine, many of whom voted Remain who will suffer. Not just by having to take less holidays, but through job security, potential higher prices and less opportunities.

As you say though - cut your cloth accordingly and all that.
snow report
Sorry about coming across like a Tw@.

Not intended, it just winds me up how some (not all) dont prepare, save, plan or prioritise and then moan like buggery when they dont get what they feel they are entitled to and then blame everyone but themselves for it
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@achilles, Can you not read?

This thread is about the %% increased cost of Snowsports for UK visitors to the Eurozone this season!!

(Not about UK Industry imports & exports)

Touchy.
snow report
@stanton, I was taking to bigwig today who thinks you Eurobods are spending so much because of the exchange rate we will be out of the woods financially by Christmas.
We on the other hand have not bought a single Edam since June.

Worry about your own precarious position, it's not just tasteless cheese we are not buying.
snow report
@Norrin Radd, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@Norrin Radd, and all.

Its far too far early to say "we" are out of the woods. Let's see the deals our new PM gets for us first, are we out of customs union, single market etc. The markets think gbp is worth less because any deal will be negative to the uk in the near term. Maybe in 10 years we will know if it was the right thing to do.

Move your cash into EUR (or USD) and wait it out. Open an account in Europe and use it for holidays.
latest report
Can this thread be moved to another section please? It no longer has anything to do with skiing and has instead been subverted into a willy waving contest amongst a few idiots who claim to know how the currency markets work (they don't).
ski holidays
@telford_mike, No

Folks please just talk about the % increase in prices that UK holiday makers will have to pay this season & beyond.

At this moment in time it is already around a 20% increase directly due to the Brexit vote.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, with respect moving your cash right now would be about as thick as being stanton.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, other than exchange rate what is going to make a U.K. Skiers holiday more expensive?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@telford_mike, No

Folks please just talk about the % increase in prices that UK holiday makers will have to pay this season & beyond.

At this moment in time it is already around a 20% increase directly due to the Brexit vote.

It's not often, but I agree, at this moment in time.
latest report
I trade at events in Europe. I quite often have a shed load of Euros I'm trying to get rid of. I have a Euro account in the Uk. I think it gave me about 1.19 this week which saved me about £400 on the normal tourist 'buy' rate.
snow report
@Norrin Radd, why? If you have the view that rate will get worse (i do) then you should move it now.

You may not have the same view, as many won't. It's about deciding what to do with your view, and if possible save money on ski holidays. That is what I am doing. I have a place in the Alps so want as much certainty in spending money and costs as possible.

This is what most of the tour operators will also do I would think. Take a view on rates and fix to give certainty to their business. Maybe it ends up costing you (the punter) more or maybe if rates get worse it saves you money as the tour operator would have fixed their costs / the charge to you upfront.

We can all talk about the cost of lift passes if that's what you want to discuss but what are you going to do about it? Make a decision
snow report
@Bennyboy1, if you think the rate will worsen you are doing the right thing.

If the sums work for you at 1.13 great. I think this is low point and would not move into Euros.

My Euro element of my family ski holiday is about 5000 Euros,
So between 1.1 and 1.2 is £379
Which is neither here nor there.
snow report
@Norrin Radd, so maybe a response for Stanton is that holidays won't be significantly more expensive in the big scheme of things?
snow report
Norrin Radd wrote:
My Euro element of my family ski holiday is about 5000 Euros,
So between 1.1 and 1.2 is £379
Which is neither here nor there.

To you maybe £379 is neither here nor there. To me it's a weeks ski accomodation, with £11 change (opening week booked in Morzine where accomodation, 6x breakfasts, 4x evening meals, unlimited snack and all the beer/wine you can drink are costing me £368).
snow conditions
Re 'neither here nor there' - On another thread, someone was taking about Alps vs N.America for a family in peak season and the bill was looking like £10K-£12K so in their case, we're talking about a £10K holiday last year costing £12K now which is not trivial even for someone with that sort of cash to spare. Obviously, if your Alpine holiday is more like £2K then £400 more expensive may be manageable, although I'd be loath to say that it's a trivial amount. If you book through a TO then it's all out of your hands anyway, but if you self-organise then it is certainly a more immediate problem: you could obviously exchange now, although I don't know how you'd pay for accommodation without a €/CHF credit/debit card.

On a parallel note, UK owners of Alpine properties have both a plus and minus element to all this. On the plus side, they have €/CHF accounts and probably revenues in Alpine currencies, so they're insulated. Indeed, if they have spare cash lying around, it's just gone up 20% (vs £) in 9 months, which isn't a bad return (if they repatriate the money to the UK). I suspect some of the posters here are in this position, so they can portray themselves as insightful economic strategists rather than just enjoying a windfall from the necessity of having a €/CHF bank account for their property rentals/charges. I moved funds over to Switzerland as contingency for future refurbishment on our apartment - it's satisfying to feel I've been 'clever', as it's now worth closer to 35% more (in £ terms) than when I moved it a couple of years ago. But it's just luck and you can bet they/I will be very quiet if the € or CHF drops/collapses (which has happened before).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 6-10-16 11:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@LaForet, oh so true Toofy Grin
latest report
In the early 90s I remember when a diet coke in the Altiport Restaurant at Courchevel was 23f and we were getting 7f to the pound. Roll forward 20 years and it was €3. Still bought one. And a lift pass, and a pizza. Won't stop me going again this season either, I'll just have to save a bit harder.
snow report
I guess 99% of UK at the end of last season never dreamed their currency would devalue this much by this season?

Anyone transferring British Pounds into Euros towards the end of 2017 will experience rates well below parity according to UBS who confirm their forecast for the GBP/EUR spot exchange rate to fall to 1:1.

""there can be no doubt rates being offered will be well below €1.00 when the spot market hits parity"".

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/5552-gbp-to-eur-parity-forecast-ubs-3454

Holiday Nightmare Sad Sad Sad

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/holiday-nightmarepound-could-worth-same-11979635
ski holidays
Laughing at reading the panic on this thread with exchange rates.... So did everyone not bother skiing at all 2008/9 when the banks crashed... Confused I seem to remember the Euro being almost 1:1 at one point back then I'm sure some/most of you were still hitting the slopes as normal. Yes it costs us a few quid more when there's a degree of uncertainty in the markets as it was back then (banks) and now (Brexit), but history also shows it to recover...!
There was also a lot of scare mongering over the FTSE in the aftermath of Brexit vote, and look now, near record highs.

I feel for anyone making large purchases abroad such as holiday homes in the current climate but for the average punter (which most of us are) who has 1-2 weeks skiing per year, it means an extra 30/40 quid on a ski pass and a quid a pint, not exactly earth shattering...

We have already booked for Montgenevre next March and the cost for a full weeks catered chalet was the same as we paid this time last year...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy