Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks again Brexiters
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@stanton, it already is near that level if you are stupid enough to buy euros at the airport


I saw it below parity at one airport a few weeks ago. I've no idea why those places exist.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Minion1980, actually is if your into shares Happy. At a 52 week high, suits me fine thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
downhillalltheway wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@stanton, it already is near that level if you are stupid enough to buy euros at the airport


I saw it below parity at one airport a few weeks ago. I've no idea why those places exist.


The bottom line is many, many even well-educated folks have no real idea about the maths of exchange rates, commissions & fees etc., and/or the difference between all of those. So when they see "0% Commission" or "No Fees" or "Lowest Exchange Rate", they think they are getting a good deal. Of course, you are never going to see all three of these together! Laughing

Then the airports basically have you trapped, as you have left it to the last minute. In UK airports, the currency exchanges have to pay a percentage the airport; so if you order your currency from them in advance via the web or phone, you will get a better rate, because it's not the airport as such that drew you to them. You can even do that on your phone whilst you are standing next to the counter in the airport!

Then there are the outright scams:


http://youtube.com/v/UgiqwcJU9Ns


http://youtube.com/v/eyK8dQH-Vh0
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PeDaSp,

Yes, they are called idiots Happy wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@PeDaSp,

Yes, they are called idiots Happy wink


Indeed. I call such things an "idiot tax". Same goes for parking & speeding fines Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulC1984 wrote:
@Minion1980, actually is if your into shares Happy. At a 52 week high, suits me fine thanks.


My shares are low and linked to the economy/value of the pound, I'm sick of this I'm alright Jack attitude from Brexiters, this is harming and will harm a lot of people. Selfish to the core
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Minion1980, Its not a case of 'im alright jack' or selfishness. Im doing well out of Brexit, because I put myself in a position to do well out of brexit. I also had the forsight to prepare for brexit in advance.

Whilst your generalising ill do the same and say that 'remainers' were so short sighted, that they either A) didn't see brexit coming and didn't prepare themselves or b) were too stupid to do so.......

Not for one second did I think Brexit was going to be a smooth ride, nor am I stupid enough to believe that there will be no rocky times to come, and for those reasons I prepare.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984, I voted Remain but so far I have done OK after Brexit. However I have just been watching an interview with the number 2 minister in the treasury who admitted that in the long term the country would be 2 to 4% worse off year on year for the foreseeable future so I hope your preparations will be adequate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PaulC1984, it's the total disregard for anyone but yourself that sickens me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulC1984,
Quote:

A) didn't see brexit coming


Errr, on the grounds of the quotes from all the leave campaigners immediately before and after the referendum and the reactions of the various global markets in the immediate days after (when they were frantically unwinding their "prepared" positions) you must be one of the very few prepared for the aftermath.

Are you prepared for the long term negative effects however?

Oh, no there won't be, it's OK, it'll be fine, the UK (well, England) is a Proud, Trading, Nation with strong ties to, err, ... Australia!, ah yes... New Zealand!...ummm ... The ..uh.. Commonwealth! ...hmmmm rolling eyes

Just like this, as endorsed by Andrea Leadsom herself, https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/fart-in-a-jar-and-sell-it-at-twice-the-price?utm_term=.fcbe73YeQ#.xnJBAvEBL
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, luckily for me I have a very good fund manager, And in the week before moved from high risk (usually high return depending obviously) to low risk / cashed in just before brexit.

All the signs and advice was there. Every single FA, Osbourne, carney all said the market would be effected if brexit happened.

It came down to whether you thought brexit would happen.

Friends of mine thought it wouldn't, left their money where it was thinking stocks would rise lost out.

I played safe. Equally after the crash, money goes back in, buying that's now gone up circa 26%.

We've now got 2 years of large turbulence, everyone knows that, so will be playing long term safe - bricks and mortar - average yearly gains of circa 6%

Minion, I'm sorry I sicken you - its not about disregard for others, it about making the most of a situation, and how risky you want to be with your money.

Anways back to the thread, we have a whole brexit thread for this

How are people holidays coming along.

I don't book through TOs, but friends have just booked their Christmas week in Tignes and paid an extra £58 per head which is pretty good
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PaulC1984, luckily for you. We have been bricks and mortar fans for a v. long time.

On the expensiveness and from a sell side p.o.v. being purveyors of s/c alpine property; we price in Euros and are in France, so clearly that makes life trickier for the UK market (our revenues historically have tracked relative GBP).

It's too early to call for us in Chamonix as bookings only start arriving around now (and anything will be conflated by the previous years poor winter starts so I am fully expecting bookings to be late) but the Italian property is now fully booked for the season at premium rates. Mix of Brits and everyone else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4 nights in a Pension in Niseko in Jan 17 was 220 when i booked. Its now 270. In total a 2 week trip to Japan is costing around £300 more now than when we booked. Probably the definition of a 'first world problem', but pretty shi te nonetheless.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@element, seems about right circa £50-70 per head extra. That seems on a par with the livignio bash too
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our family DIY trip will be more expensive. Luckily flight and accommodation priced in £ so no hit there and transfer which is in € was paid for before the vote. But of course lift tickets and food will cost more. Lift tickets will be around £100 more if we get a rate of 1.1 compared to 1.25. I did buy some € earlier in the summer but after the vote but cash flow meant I could not get too much. The result will be that we will probably spend about the same or slightly more but cut back on the spending in France
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element wrote:
4 nights in a Pension in Niseko in Jan 17 was 220 when i booked. Its now 270. In total a 2 week trip to Japan is costing around £300 more now than when we booked. Probably the definition of a 'first world problem', but pretty shi te nonetheless.


The plummeting pound is causing me serious concern, I have 3 weeks booked in Japan and whilst my flights, transfers and Niseko accomodation is paid for my liftpass is not, neither is my Kyoto or Tokyo accomodation. I'm saving every month for the spending money fund but every day it just gets worse and worse and this already very expensive trip willl be even more expensive.

But frankly that is the least of my worries when it comes to Brexit, a more expensive trip of a lifetime is nothing compared to the generation of misery we are about to endure
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flights + accom no difference really apart from we are heading out at new year so a bit more expensive. Obviously lift passes will cost more, and money whilst out there. If we get back to 1.2 I'll but buying lift passes.

However, I have some old invoices still out in euro's, they were at 1.3 so I'm looking at a nice bit of extra profit on conversion to pounds when they do finally get paid.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its very frustrating!
I likewise have flights and accom paid before June at 1.30 but lift pass and spends are annoying.
It goes down so slowly , you say ah its only a few quid when at 1.18 , ill hold out and see if its 1.20 next month , then its 1.16 then 1.15 and today 1.14 Sad
So although its small i feel if we wait any longer its just going to trickle to 1.10 or less and its another 10% dearer (20% total)
i might just be done with it at 1.15 , im sure it will crawl back to that at sometime over the coming week before it creeps down again.
Not life-changing amounts but for sure a couple of nights out and that rate will be felt for every euro spent!


Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 4-10-16 13:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I feel sorry for you Brits who have been rolled over by misinformation.

Pound is going down

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-04/brexit-bulletin-new-reality-for-banks

More bad news as well . Generally prices are up (Alcohol & VAT ) in the Eurozone this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton, I just feel sorry for you - fullstop
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PaulC1984 wrote:
@Minion1980, Its not a case of 'im alright jack' or selfishness. Im doing well out of Brexit,


Rabbie wrote:
@PaulC1984, I voted Remain but so far I have done OK after Brexit.


Have I missed something? Thought Brexit wasn't due to happen till April 2019 at the earliest... lots of people patting themselves on the back prematurely
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"As US traders arrive at work in New York, sterling is still at a 31-year low against the US dollar at just $1.275, down 1 cent or 0.7%.

This is a historically bad moment for the pound -- it’s only been weaker in 1985."

Good times. Thanks Brexiters.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just been chatting at lunch at work and some think £1 to €1 might come back until it starts to recover again. Of course the problem with exchange rates is "who knows". I am still lucky enough to be able to get away but I expect all my lunches this year will be a picnic from food on the hotel breakfast buffet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
@Minion1980, Its not a case of 'im alright jack' or selfishness. Im doing well out of Brexit,


Rabbie wrote:
@PaulC1984, I voted Remain but so far I have done OK after Brexit.


Have I missed something? Thought Brexit wasn't due to happen till April 2019 at the earliest... lots of people patting themselves on the back prematurely


They got their country back, they have every right to feel smug and proud I am sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cannot wait to see all the English fruit pickets rolling eyes

Maybe some working holidays for "eastenders" like the good old days wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I cannot wait to see all the English fruit pickets


I have an image of a fruit salad waving placards in my head
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bennyboy1 wrote:
I cannot wait to see all the English fruit pickets

It seems to me that housing is the biggest problem for this.

I'm guessing that a currently unemployed person taking a short term job fruit picking wouldn't be able to carry on getting housing benefit for wherever they were living before.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or being a plasterer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or any cash in hand job come to that.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Norrin Radd,
Very few cash in hand jobs for plasterers!
Small builders all want invoices and privates all want itemised bills.
Everything else is self employed.
If you want cash in hand it's the 30 quid jobs, not worth the time nor effort.

Plastering takes around 10 years to be any use and a lifetime to master.

Hardly a cash in hand trade?
Suppose that's how working class trades are viewed by some. Sad
Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minion1980 wrote:
"As US traders arrive at work in New York, sterling is still at a 31-year low against the US dollar at just $1.275, down 1 cent or 0.7%.

This is a historically bad moment for the pound -- it’s only been weaker in 1985."

Good times. Thanks Brexiters.


I am unclear why a low exchange rate is a bad thing for the pound. So far it does seem to have been quite a good thing, with industry tthriving. Dearer holidays overseas may be irritating - but are a minor problem on the grand scheme of things.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@achilles, exactly. Ok so £ is low but its fuelled the highest ever, yes HIGHEST EVER FTSE 250 level. That shows 2 things, yes shares are cheaper but also there is confidence. FTSE 100 at a 52week+ high too.

Obviously everything isnt rosey, import is a lot more expensive, and that will hit pockets, as too are holidays. But you know what, take you ski hol abroad and summer one in the UK, fuel the UK tourest industry (which is already happening) and manufacturing is up.

Landy and Nissan are halting any plans for expansion, yet Apple HQ being set up in london. All these things swing in roundabouts.

Ive no doubt once article 50 is pushed in march april, £ will drop again, but its seen lows against the € and $ before and we are all still living and all still have our skis and holidays.

Perhaps it will teach people to plan, save and budget in ways our parents used to!

@minion1980 im alright jack
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PaulC1984 wrote:
... yet Apple HQ being set up in london.

Apple is just moving offices within London.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, ah fair do's obviously wasnt listening properly Happy

Well at least they arent leaving london wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles wrote:
I am unclear why a low exchange rate is a bad thing for the pound. So far it does seem to have been quite a good thing, with industry tthriving. Dearer holidays overseas may be irritating - but are a minor problem on the grand scheme of things.


What you're not seeing yet is the natural lag in the economy. Yes, at the moment industry is thriving but then they are working through stock and 'raw materials' bought at one exchange rate and selling 'finished goods' at a lower one.

To take Mini as an example the steel (or at least steel futures) for the cars being built at the moment would have been bought some time ago based on a the pre-vote exchange rate. The factory costs (wages, etc) are paid in Sterling so unchanged and the price of a Mini at a UK dealer unchanged but the exchange rate drop means that same Mini at a French/German/American/etc dealer is now 10% cheaper than it was pre-vote.

This can't last though. At some point all those futures deals on energy supply and raw materials will run out and new ones at the new exchange rate kick in. When that happens things reverse because you're now buying 'raw materials' at the new, lower exchange rate. Suddely the raw steel, etc will costs 10% more to by in, so Mini will have to put the price of their cars up. Outside the UK this will just put them back where they were, so sales will drop back to pre-rate change levels. In the UK however it will be a real increase in the sticker price. Wages won't have gone up though so fewer people will be able to affort to buy Minis in the UK. A drop in demand will mean Mini dropping output, maybe requiring fewer staff but certainly buying less from their UK supply chain, who may require fewer staff, etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulC1984, so UK shares are cheaper externally and for domestic managers it makes sense to run with the tide.

Equity indices are not good metrics of economic health...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PaulC1984 wrote:
@achilles, exactly. Ok so £ is low but its fuelled the highest ever, yes HIGHEST EVER FTSE 250 level. That shows 2 things, yes shares are cheaper but also there is confidence. FTSE 100 at a 52week+ high too.

Obviously everything isnt rosey, import is a lot more expensive, and that will hit pockets, as too are holidays. But you know what, take you ski hol abroad and summer one in the UK, fuel the UK tourest industry (which is already happening) and manufacturing is up.

Landy and Nissan are halting any plans for expansion, yet Apple HQ being set up in london. All these things swing in roundabouts.

Ive no doubt once article 50 is pushed in march april, £ will drop again, but its seen lows against the € and $ before and we are all still living and all still have our skis and holidays.

Perhaps it will teach people to plan, save and budget in ways our parents used to!

@minion1980 im alright jack


This is all quite easy to say if you have the income and resources that require 'a good fund manager.' You should be alright if all you need to do to make Brexit work for you is move money from one place to another.

Things are a bit more precarious if you're mid-20's living pay cheque to pay cheque.


Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-10-16 18:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mjit wrote:
achilles wrote:
I am unclear why a low exchange rate is a bad thing for the pound. So far it does seem to have been quite a good thing, with industry tthriving. Dearer holidays overseas may be irritating - but are a minor problem on the grand scheme of things.


What you're not seeing yet is the natural lag in the economy. Yes, at the moment industry is thriving but then they are working through stock and 'raw materials' bought at one exchange rate and selling 'finished goods' at a lower one.

To take Mini as an example the steel (or at least steel futures) for the cars being built at the moment would have been bought some time ago based on a the pre-vote exchange rate. The factory costs (wages, etc) are paid in Sterling so unchanged and the price of a Mini at a UK dealer unchanged but the exchange rate drop means that same Mini at a French/German/American/etc dealer is now 10% cheaper than it was pre-vote.

This can't last though. At some point all those futures deals on energy supply and raw materials will run out and new ones at the new exchange rate kick in. When that happens things reverse because you're now buying 'raw materials' at the new, lower exchange rate. Suddely the raw steel, etc will costs 10% more to by in, so Mini will have to put the price of their cars up. Outside the UK this will just put them back where they were, so sales will drop back to pre-rate change levels. In the UK however it will be a real increase in the sticker price. Wages won't have gone up though so fewer people will be able to affort to buy Minis in the UK. A drop in demand will mean Mini dropping output, maybe requiring fewer staff but certainly buying less from their UK supply chain, who may require fewer staff, etc.


Some cogently argued points there Mjit. A low exchange rate has both benefits and drawbacks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit,,

Finally someonr gets it!!
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy