Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
@Tignes addict, Good for you I am never in that situation of having to book Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes addict wrote:
@stanton,

I have already booked my holiday for next year. Going to Canada instead of France. If the EU don't want us I will spend my money elsewhere.

Don't forget that half of Canada is French!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
@Tignes addict, Good for you I am never in that situation of having to book Very Happy

Only a taxi at "mates-rates". Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:

I generally find it is better to prebook flights and ferries as just rocking up doesn't guarantee a seat !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://twitter.com/Danske_Research/status/1027126480256606213
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stanton, Once again using your own data, the pound is currently better than the average taken over the past year, and significantly better than this time last year by approximately 4%. Looks like this season's skiing is going to be once again cheaper than last year and the year before.

Looks like I really can afford a 5th week skiing in the Arlberg or Aosta. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can see you're going to upset him, him'll mash up all his fishfingers and his mum will send him to bed early.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
king key wrote:
I can see you're going to upset him, him'll mash up all his fishfingers and his mum will take him to bed early.

FIFY
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lost my nerve and just bought a load of Euros. According to @stanton, we are about to see parity so I've just saved a fortune/price of a couple of beers. But then that's what he was bleeting on about this time last year as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@esaw1, I got 1.12 Eu to the pound on Monday. What is it now for Tourist Rate?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:
@esaw1, I got 1.12 Eu to the pound on Monday. What is it now for Tourist Rate?

You did well to get that as a tourist, the mid market price was 1.12 on Monday. A tourist rate would normally be at least 2% lower and typically 3+% lower.

Happy days if you make your profits outside of the UK. Not so good if you are an exporter. The UK interest rate rise was meant to improve the rate but since it was announced, the pound has been sliding.

Stanton's gloom is over done, but the UK Gov seems to be doing a pretty good job of ensuring the worst of all outcomes will prevail.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bar shaker, Through the Post Office online for more than £500, the over weekend rate being based on Friday's exchange.

I too thought that the increase in Base Rate by Carney would have improved the pound, but not so as it seems.

And Stanton is indeed all doom and gloom. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know how the £ is doing, thinking of buying a Mercedes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bar shaker, surely British exporters are laughing as their goods have become cheaper to sell abroad as the value of sterling continues to crash? It is importers eg ski equipment and clothing retailers who will be hit as these increase in price as they need more £ than before to purchase items in Euros.

I would be very happy to be paid in euros as I would have seen significant increase in the number of £’s I receive for them over the past two years.

I think it quite possible that we will see the £ slip below equivalency to the Euro in the aftermath of March 19, albeit only in the short-term. PIGS will continue to damage the Eurozone in the longer term and if the UK manages to become a tax free haven for global business that may well strengthen sterling considerably. This is also very unlikely IMHO.

Not just the Euro which is killing £. Two years ago there were 2 CAD to £ currently 1.66 ergo Canadian trips 20% more expensive now too.

My view is to ski on regardless it’s only money, some things are more important.
snow conditions
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/PGA4PKBCelg
snow report
@Snowsatre: If you look at the trade-weighted £ then 2017 we paid £82bn more for imports after the Leave devaluation, which equates to £3800 per household: about £900 directly and £2900 by industry/businesses. How much of the £2900 filters through to UK households verses being passed on in more expensive exports is hard to judge. This figure includes a pretty lame increase in exports due to cheaper £, which for manufacturers who import raw materials is only a short-lived benefit once they've used up their stocks.

The Trade-weighted £ is calculated by the BoE and is based on the currencies of our main trading partners, adjusted pro-rata for the volume of trade in that currency. This is the rate that went down about 21% post the vote and is still about 10% lower, so not good news Go to the BoE website and you can see all the numbers day-by day for the last decade or so.

So from a trade point of view individual changes (always reported as 'soaring' or 'plunging' by the media) in rates for individual currencies end up pretty misleading. Especially when foreign manufacturers don't always charge in the home currency (e.g. a US manufacturer with a factory in Ireland will probably charge in euros, not US$). Although of course, as tourists we are interested in the currency of our selected holiday destination.
ski holidays
Perhaps I should list my daily contracting rate in euros, wonder if the firms would go for that Puzzled

I too am moving a years worth of my Austrian mortgage payments over to cover any real term drop in the exchange rate next summer. I'll be over there skiing while all the actual leaving is going on... if things get too bad I may not return for a while Cool
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
@bar shaker, surely British exporters are laughing as their goods have become cheaper to sell abroad as the value of sterling continues to crash? It is importers eg ski equipment and clothing retailers who will be hit as these increase in price as they need more £ than before to purchase items in Euros.

We do make and export some stuff, but the amount is dwarfed by what we import. Add that an importer somewhere in the world will pay for goods in GBP so he is the one laughing, not the manufacturer. Are they buying lots more because the products are cheaper? This would lead you to think that there are vast untapped markets out there that we are potentially hamstrung from selling to by some EU restrictions.

Take JLR as an example. They reported that they sold lots for vehicles to China (up 23%) [who would have thought we already traded outside of the EU!!] but this was balanced by a fall in sales within the EU (-5.3%) and the UK (-12.3%), which are by far JLR's biggest markets. Overall sales were up 1.7% but margins fell from 5.9% to 3.8%.
ski holidays
Turkey would be a cheap place to ski if you book now and buy your holiday cash.
snow report
@bar shaker, the very simple point I was making was that exporters are more likely to benefit as opposed to importers which your post suggested. I am not interested in point scoring, semantics or pedantry.

I would be happier infinitely happier as a tourist had £ not nose-dived against a raft of currencies.

@Bennyboy1, 🤣
latest report
@Snowsartre,
A cheap £ will make tourism attractive. So other sectors can benefit also.

£gbp had been over valued for a number of years. A rerate at some point was always going to happen
snow report
@Bennyboy1,
I just found myself looking up ski resorts in Turkey
snow conditions
Good luck in Turkish ski areas..

Why do you think the Turkish Ski Teams come to the Arlberg every season ?
snow report
@DrLawn, I seem to remember a couple of uk TO marketing Turkey in their broshures.

One for you Stanton:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/travel/2010/oct/23/turkey-skiing-erzurum-uludag

@stanton, @stanton,
snow report
Just booked for january 2019...... same arrangements as 2018... Same price ... happy bunny me
snow report
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/08/19/britain-digging-civil-war-brexit-destroying-pound/
snow report
@stanton, if gloating were an Olympic sport then you’d be a gold medalist.......”come to the Arlberg”, who are you kidding. I believe you mean “go to the Arlberg” like many of us do, but not you. Exiled Dutchman plying his trade in cheese land taxi ranks, sat bored trawling the web for trolling material nearer the truth I suggest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29,

Are you planning your 3-5 weeks holidays ?

That is very very very expensive way to get your kick..

Try doing the season Very Happy

Sterling is not doing very well...is it?
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton, if gloating were an Olympic sport then you’d be a gold medalist.......”come to the Arlberg”, who are you kidding. I believe you mean “go to the Arlberg” like many of us do, but not you. Exiled Dutchman plying his trade in cheese land taxi ranks, sat bored trawling the web for trolling material nearer the truth I suggest.

It's strange that whenever I see a post from Herr Stanton, I hear the lyrics of Aqualung by Jethro Tull in my head. I'm sure there's a connection there somewhere. Confused Puzzled
snow report
posted in error

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-08-18 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lets keep on track..Sterlings decline.

The last link was an Opinion written in a Very Pro Brexit Newspaper...one the Blond Bafoon writes for...
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Lets keep on track..Sterlings decline.

The last link was an Opinion written in a Very Pro Brexit Newspaper...one the Blond Bafoon writes for...

so since your "sterling is going to open loooow on Monday' post it hasn't budged a cent. Care to comment?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-08-18 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
GBP/EUR Exchange Rate Long-Term Forecast: Can the UK Strike a Brexit Deal Before EU Summit?

Looking further ahead, any upside in the Pound Euro (GBP/EUR) exchange rate is likely to be dependent on Theresa May managing to reach a Brexit agreement ahead of the next major EU summit in October

This leaves just a couple of months for the PM to strike a deal with the EU, after which it looks almost certain that the UK will crash out of Brexit without a deal when it formally leaves in March, something which is seen as a worst case scenario by many investors.
snow report
stanton wrote:
……………….. it looks almost certain that the UK will crash out of Brexit without a deal ………………………. worst case scenario by many investors.

The EU and "investors" can thank M. Barnier for that. His punitive intransigence and lack of vision in trying to make the UK leaving settlement so disastrous as to warn the rest of EU members is the real stumbling block.

I'd still like to see Johnson and Gove take the political high ground and actually negotiate a workable solution. Brexit is their deal.
ski holidays
@skimastaaah,
Monsieur Barnier does not hace Carte Blanche

He is the voice of 27 the agreed policy on Brexit from the united EU Countries

It has been the same message for 2 years...

The EU is still waiting on the whingin Poms

That is why the British Pound is sufferimg
snow report
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,

its the minority whingin. The majority just want a clean break. as voted for.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
stanton wrote:
……………….. it looks almost certain that the UK will crash out of Brexit without a deal ………………………. worst case scenario by many investors.

The EU and "investors" can thank M. Barnier for that. His punitive intransigence and lack of vision in trying to make the UK leaving settlement so disastrous as to warn the rest of EU members is the real stumbling block.

I'd still like to see Johnson and Gove take the political high ground and actually negotiate a workable solution. Brexit is their deal.

So Barnier playing the card he was dealt and not seeking to give the UK a break is "punitive intransigence" and a "lack of vision". Tell me, were the shoe on the other foot would the UK seek to do anything different?

The problem Gove and Johnson face is that they have already taken the political high ground and it counts for very little, because at the end of the day it offers minimal political leverage with the EU. What can Gove and Johnson do? Their only option really is to call the EU bluff and allow the UK to crash out without a deal.....politically that is their only card.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
@skimastaaah,

its the minority whingin. The majority just want a clean break. as voted for.

The problem is the majority voted for something that cannot be delivered. No relationship can just end and both parties carry on their separate ways and to paint this as the case was irresponsible by the Leave campaigners. The more complex the relationship, the more difficult the break and there are numerous elements of the relationship that need to be resolved.
snow report
@FrediKanoute, Barnier initially suggesting a 100Billion plus Euro cost, still sticking to exorbitant exit costs, dismissive of Brexit flexible strategies, …. yeah, I'd call that punitive intransigence.

Ultimately whether it is Gove/Johnson's only available plan, the ONLY option is to call the EU bluff and to exit the EU with no agreement. Two years post-Brexit vote has got the UK negotiators nowhere (apart from the resignation dustbin!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy