Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family trip to Chatel - recommendations re where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, after five years of brilliant family trips to Morzine, staying in a lovely little apartment with Reach 4 the Alps, this winter we'd like to try either Flaine or Chatel. Different skiing, still close to Geneva.
Do any of you learned snow heads have any recommendations for good, family-friendly accommodation - can be apartment or family friendly hotel - in either resort?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shortfat007, I love to ski in Flaine, but we chose to buy in Les Carroz, where the resort is prettier and it's a real village. If Les Carroz appeals, I can certainly make recommendations.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sj1608 wrote:
@shortfat007, I love to ski in Flaine, but we chose to buy in Les Carroz, where the resort is prettier and it's a real village. If Les Carroz appeals, I can certainly make recommendations.

HI, That woould be great - Les Carroz looks lovely and the skiing should be great for the family - what do you recommend?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shortfat007, can you fill in a little more about ages, when you are planning on going, etc. as it makes a difference!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi. School hols 11th to 18th Feb. Family of 4 including two boys of 12 and 10. Tidy skiers...
....that help?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, I'll assume that means that they can carry their own skis and that ski in/out (which is difficult in Carroz) is not essential. The buses are frequent in most areas, plus there are lockers at the telecabine, so no need to lug ski gear about if you don't want to. Half term will be tight on availability by now, but will assume that it's not for the purposes of this post.

In terms of hotels, Milk Hotel is generally considered to be good. It's right at the foot of a red called Timalets, it's definitely ski out, but only ski in for a competent skier, so it sounds as if your boys would be fine. I personally am not keen on Croix de Savoie, but it gets good reviews.

You may want to think about La Bergerie B & B, which we stayed at before we bought and loved. Claude is a great host, and at least one of his rooms would be big enough for all of you. It's very close to a ski bus stop and also to the centre of town. http://www.labergerie-lescarroz.com/en/chalet-les-carroz-skiing-ski-in-out-open-fireplace-near-the-ski-slopes-runs/ Carroz has plenty of decent restaurants to eat at, as Claude doesn't do dinners.

For apartments, I'd start by contacting Sue Lewis at www.skifusion.co.uk who also rented to us several times before we bought. Not sure what apartments she has for next season, but there are usually some in the Cristallieres blocks, which are very central but still quiet. Other than that all the immos do apartment rentals, if you go that route you just need to check location carefully, happy to advise when you get to that point.

If you want something with on-premise swimming pool then Les Fermes du Soleil, which is managed by Pierre et Vacances, is right in the centre of town. CGH have Chalet de Jouvence up by the Telecabine (no bus needed, there are tapis to the lifts) and MGM have the brand new Leana right in the centre of town.

Personally, I'd avoid the Bry area which is a little further down the mountain. Although it's on the bus route, buses to this area are not that frequent.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any more questions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shortfat007, you may want to tweak the thread title, so that other people are aware that it covers Flaine/Les Carroz, too!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy