Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Chile - Questions and advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I'm heading off to Chile with a buddy to slide down some mountains. I think narrowed it down to Valle Nevado. We both like riding in the trees. We're not opposed to driving and it seems like a good time. I'm open to other suggestions.

We arrive at 6:30am so we were thinking of hitting up La Pava for a day or two, then hit the road for Valle Nevado so we don't waste a day. Then maybe do the last day at La Pava because our flight leaves late (9:30pm).

We were also thinking of not spending the entire trip at one resort, so I don't think we really want to spend 7 days there.

thoughts? suggestions on lodging?

EDIT: I'm a retard. I meant Nevados de chillan not Valle Nevado

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-07-16 2:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are no trees at VN, Colorado or La parva, these are closest resorts to Santiago. If you want tree riding probably Nevados de chillan is best, but check snow conditions and depth there before you go. I hear it's sketchy there this year.

If you don't want to spend the week in one place stay in Santiago, hire a car and drive up each day to the resort you want.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now that's an idea. Could surf Costa Rica on the way there, or back. I will be interested to hear how that goes. My Google maps won't actually do driving distances out there. How's the safety?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@godspeed, there isn't that much accommodation available at Tres Valles so you would need to get this sorted. There's a hotel at VN but this fills up with Brazilians on week-long package deals. I always stay at a place called Powder Lodge in Farellones, which is the first village you come to at the top of the mountain road from Santiago. It's walking distance to El Colorado lifts and a short drive to La Parva. VN is a slightly longer journey from Farellones. I prefer the skiing in El Colorado and La Parva over VN. Travelling up from Santiago every day is another option but becomes quite tiring after a few days with the journey taking about 90 mins. Rush hour at either end of the day in Santiago can be very busy and you may get down the mountain road quite quickly but then get stuck in Las Condes. Companies such as Ski Total and Ski Ahorro run a mini bus service if you don't want to drive. They'll pick you up from your Santiago hotel at about 7am and drop you off at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The above advice is all solid. I stayed in a ski club lodge in Farellones when I visited and could ski back over at the end of teh day fron Valle Nevado despite only having a single area pass. Just hitched up in the morning. If I'm honest I found Valle Nevado etc the least interesting resorts in Chile & Argentina due to their similarity to French above treeline mega resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Chillan. Great mountain, great vibe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for powder lodge, cool place and Christian is a great host -> http://www.powder-lodge.com

Couple friends said the south is really low on snow this year so I would stay north. Might be worth checking out Portillio or go for a day of Catskiing at Ski Arpa http://www.skiarpa.com

Have fun in Santifiasco
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holy crap, are these the rates for just the hotel? $ 440 Double (220 us per person)? For something that isn't even on the mountain in Chile? Holy crap.

Any recommendations on where to stay near VN?

OD wrote:
Another vote for powder lodge, cool place and Christian is a great host -> http://www.powder-lodge.com

Couple friends said the south is really low on snow this year so I would stay north. Might be worth checking out Portillio or go for a day of Catskiing at Ski Arpa http://www.skiarpa.com

Have fun in Santifiasco

I'd love to do Portillo, but I've read it's not very good for boarders.

I'm also starting to think that 6 days on the mountain is enough. I haven't been on a board since early March, so I'm probably not going to be able to do much more than 6 straight days.

Is there a place you all recommend for off trail/tree snowboarding?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crap, I just realized I was mixing up NV and Nevados de chillan. I want to do VdC for a few days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tree skiing is found down south below Termas de Chillian. Bariloche and Cerro Bayo are probably the best places to ski in the trees but at the moment they're in desperate need of snow. Likewise it can be pretty hit and miss due to high freezing levels.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Termas de Chillian you can either stay below in the village of Las Trancas were you'll need to get a lift to the hill. There's a international hostel as well as the MI lodge(out of the way) or Claudios across from the Snow Pub.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nevados de Chillan tree skiing is cool but there are quite a few flattish bits...not sure how good that would be for boarding.

Great place overall, though. I miss it. We had 1 metre of fresh snow over there - couldn't really go wrong...

Here's maverick finding his way through the Nevado trees:
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@godspeed, I don't think there much accom. other than the hotel at VN. Should email Cristian at the Powder Lodge, it's a great place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where do you all recommend staying in Nevados de Chillan? I think I'm just going to head straight there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What OD said above about the village of Las Trancas or the more expensive on-hill accommodation.

So, are you up for a 4-5 hour drive straight after an overnight flight? economy class or business class will make a big difference!
latest report
So following some advice here, I think I'm going straight to NdC and staying in Las Trancas (sorry, I was specifically asking where in Las Trancas). I'm going to cut La Parva out.

I'll probably land, screw around in Santiago and get to NdC for boarding the next day (unfortunately, I couldn't upgrade to business class for the leg down there Sad, but I got business on the way back Laughing )

I'll board there for 5-6 days, depending on how my summer legs feel, then head back to Santiago.

What has better nightlife? Valle Las Trancas or Termas de Chillán? How much closer is TdCthan VLT?

I really appreciate the help here!
snow conditions
Best Chile thread on the interweb

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/301863-Ski-Chile-2016
ski holidays
Just came across this FYI:
http://www.powder.com/stories/interviews/magic-of-the-super-c/#I636TEEi85hIufDI.97
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy