Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

post-brexit skiing - where to now? GBP climbs towards the CHF again

Poster: A snowHead
Having continued planning our fantasy trip 'Skiing in the Axis of Evil' (Iran, Syria, Libya, with others added - and one friend has already got some of these ticked) we turned to post Brexit destinations. The real economy seems to be re-asseting itself - ie consideration of the underlying strength of economies - and so the GBP has stopped its slide against the CHF while the Euro seems to be recovering more slowly. The Italian banking crisis (putatively attributed to Brexit but simply symptomatic of deeper problems) will potential pose a greater risk to the Euro than was anticipated.

Where will we ski this year? Switzerland. Will it be a bit more expensive - actually it will be the same as 2011 and 2014 when the GBP reached a low against the CHF. If the GBP climbs even a little more, then Switzerland will still be cheaper than it was 2 and 5 years ago. Which is interesting.

And don't you just love Snowheads? One post on global politics and the real economy and the next on 'which bindings shall I get'. Priceless.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're smart you'd have hedged your currency risk. If you're stupid you'd have voted Brexit, so you can enjoy your "independence" and not worry about the cost.

You could go to Scotland though - I think that may well be a good location all things considered.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France obviously! The Euro is 97% the value it was mid season. France is so expensive, you won't notice it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sentiment is very bearish against the Pound right now.

If it follows the trend of past crises, the Pound will fall a further 10-30% in the next 3-6 months against the Dollar, Euro and CHF.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's what my (no UK and therefore not Brexit idiot) advisors are saying at the moment, for the dollar at least.

I would not personally be so cocky about the Euro, medium term at least. They're undoubtedly not as stupid as Brexit people, but their economies are already very weak....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Sentiment is very bearish against the Pound right now.

If it follows the trend of past crises, the Pound will fall a further 10-30% in the next 3-6 months against the Dollar, Euro and CHF.

Trend of past crises shows that Pound tends to level of at the new, lower level:

UK drops of the EU Exchange Rate Mechanism in 1992:

http://cl.ly/3A3l343a0O0H

Great crash of 2008:

http://cl.ly/1N3R3a112L0s
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting times. I think the Yen is where the money's likely to go short term. Nobody knows what's going to happen in Europe or the States over the next 6 months.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, ...that would be a turn up for the books - Yen has been in the doldrums for a VERY long time. Meanwhile, further interesting developments, rates shifting in unusual ways at opening today, and...

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/5119-euro-to-pound-rate-could-fall-if-euro-takes-the-brunt-of-the-brexit-shock-wave-as-seems-likely-according-to-handelsbanken

...was flabbergasted when senior EU official said on Tuesday night late on R4 '...there can be NO half-membership of the EU...' - Er....Norway, Iceland, Switzerland.

Slowly, the underlying real economy is being recognised, which is good. We need to support manufacturing development in UK, in which we are pre-eminent in a series of areas - F1 engineering, chip development (ARM), aero-engine technology.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:

Slowly, the underlying real economy is being recognised, which is good. We need to support manufacturing development in UK, in which we are pre-eminent in a series of areas - F1 engineering, chip development (ARM), aero-engine technology.

In that case we'd all better hope this learned gentleman is wide of the mark

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mps-react-after-vote-leave-11269819
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's quite funny reading some of the posts on here. If you think the Yen is the future, you clearly have never heard of Abenomics. If you think sentiment is very bearish toward Sterling, please I'd love to know where you've read that, and Philwig, you're just an idiot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^^^
Quote:

Philwig, you're just an idiot

+1.26M Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't see Brexit making much difference in the short term, or possibly the medium term. After all, the pound sank to almost parity against the euro some time ago, and we kept going skiing......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm wondering if the impending re-run of the presidential vote in Austria might have any bearing if there's a different outcome?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frank Spencer, can't see it having any effect (on skiing, considering the title of this thread).

Even if the FPÖ win, the President is just a figurehead, and about as powerful as the Queen. Not going to be able to change anything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frank Spencer wrote:
If you think sentiment is very bearish toward Sterling, please I'd love to know where you've read that...

Err, sentiment against the Pound has been almost relentlessly bearish for the past 60 years.

You could get $3 to £1 in 1956...

Around $2 to $1 in 1976...

And you will get around $1 to £1 in the second half of 2016.

Britain's exports are plunging, manufacturing is collapsing, services are starting to crumble, oil is running out, public and private debt is stratospheric, interest rates are falling, and the UK is breaking up.

Nobody wants to own the Pound.
snow report
I will provide a safe home for all these poor unwanted pounds Little Angel
latest report
@Whitegold,

http://youtube.com/v/cTwZZz0HV8I

http://youtube.com/v/w7RIgs3eygo
snow conditions
Only we're not.

The organisation I work for is international, UK-located, research-based and in extremely good financial health, and its outlook is excellent. We give employment to thousands and are growing fast.

Re-structuring is happening, for sure, and manufacturing needs to be aided by a sensible industrial strategy by Boles at BIS - not command economy, but Singapore-style brokering and sensible stimulus, IMHO.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-07-16 0:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/-a6HNXtdvVQ

(Warning: not for those of a gentle disposition)
snow report
philwig wrote:
If you're smart you'd have hedged your currency risk. If you're stupid you'd have voted Brexit, so you can enjoy your "independence" and not worry about the cost.

You could go to Scotland though - I think that may well be a good location all things considered.

At least until Scotland adopts the Euro... of course there is a couple of in between steps that need to happen first.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, that would be really funny if it wasn't so bloody tragic.
snow report
As long as there is snow in winter people who call themselves skiers, will go skiing.
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
... At least until Scotland adopts the Euro... of course there is a couple of in between steps that need to happen first.

You read my mind. You have to laugh. They probably will "get their country back". I'm not sure which country the brexit people had in mind, specifically.
snow report
@philwig, ...hmm...gbp down against chf and euro.

Make your mind up ruling party - May, Gove or someone obscure...
Labour - grief.
Lib Dems - who?
UKIP - our '...our job is done here...' (Apparently...)

And then the gbp might settle down.
ski holidays
Just fyg, FTSE up 6 pts at the moment, DAX down 188
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy