Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier killed in Chamonix Avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/haute-savoie/chamonix/un-skieur-decede-dans-une-avalanche-declenchee-par-des-hommes-du-pghm-de-chamonix-1028967.html

Tragic.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Terrible news...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bad news for the Pghm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jbob, bad news indeed. But what is the PGHM? Mountain police?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PGHM looks to be mountain gendarmes, yes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Peletons de Gendarmerie de Haute Montagne = the High Mountain Section of the Gendarmerie.

In brief, they can normally be spotted in blue helicopters after a serious accident, and provide the top level of rescue expertise and also investigate (and prosecute if necessary) after deaths in the Alps, I'm sure Davidof will provide greater detail/clarification when he reappears.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, cheers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby wrote:
@jbob, bad news indeed. But what is the PGHM? Mountain police?

The PGHM appear to have been instrumental in driving BSA out of Les Houches and in to Italy. According to some reports they also appeared in Tignes during the British Champs and were interrogating coaches and parents.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaza, I may have to disagree slightly, they were enforcing the law as they interpret it, probably after someone has made a formal complaint. They do rock up and check ther ski schools as well, one of the smaller French ones in Tignes well foul. They are policemen first and foremost.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We will probably never hear the real reason for their targeting of BSA @chocksaway. The visit of the Chamonix division of the PGHM to Tignes appears to have been directly related to the BSA situation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gaza, I don't think they'd have turned up on their own initiative.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is this the same incident?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11660976
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I'm in no doubt they were instructed to go to Tignes but by whom? The reports state they were quizzing BSA and many other UK coaches. My point was; why would the Chamonix PGHM be involved in Tignes not one of the local PGHM groups?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With respect wtf has any of that crap got to do with someone being tragically killed in an avalanche Confused

It's insensitive and disrespectful of the victim imo!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B wrote:
With respect wtf has any of that political crap got to do with someone being tragically killed in an avalanche Confused

Well it might be a timely reminder that despite the political crap that PGHM get roped into they are probably first and foremost, as individuals, outdoor enthusiasts who do put themselves on the line in training and rescue situations (& in their own leisure pursuits).
snow report
@ster, yes, believe so.
ski holidays
gvj wrote:
@ster, yes, believe so.

Thanks, seemed too close not to be but the French article talked about a skier while the NZ one about a climber.
snow report
I rode up in the lift with the guy who died in the avalanche. He was a 60 year old Kiwi guide who lived in the Chamonix area called Russell and seemed a pleasant chap.

He was acclimatising on his own and went off to ski around Mont Blanc du Tacul whilst my guide and I skied and skinned up to the Helbronner Point. My guide knew Russell well and it was quite a shock to hear of his tragic death later that day.
ski holidays
@Snow Monkey, Sad
latest report
His name was Russel Braddock and he was a very experienced international guide http://www.adventureconsultants.com/adventure/AC_Team_Russell_Braddock/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy