Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Critique my carving (early days)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
stevomcd wrote:
Sure you do. You control your speed in a pure carved turn by tightening the radius so you don't spend too much time in/near the fall line and by continuing your turn all the way around and back up the hill to lose speed.

My apologies for not listing all the ways you may use to control your speed.

I failed to mention for example that falling over is also a fairly good speed control mechanism. As is a drogue. This is not intended to be a complete list.

Consider your willy waved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're awfully touchy @philwig. Your original statement was a bit of a weird thing to say, so I corrected it. What's the problem? It's useful information, in particular for someone working on their carving. When it all starts to get too fast, don't skid! Hang on to the turn a bit longer! That's just good advice, non?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strategically falling over for speed control - CHECK Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Girls! . . girls! . . a little less of the Power Puff posturing. Remember, this is the grown-up corner of slushNuts rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robin_mxx wrote:
Cheers, @BCjohnny, no one needs to tell me twice to go and have fun! Very Happy Probably some of the best riding I've done ( for a limited value of "best") was trying to play tag slalom with friends around the piste markers.

Good. So maybe stop posting vanity videos on the internet and get on with it ......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BCjohnny, what was I saying about being bitchy? It certainly wasn't a vanity video(s?), and it got some constructive feedback to a relative beginner. We know it's Summer, but it's past solstice and Winter draws closer so go have a beer and chill a bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He's not listening.

Tons of good advice from people that can.

Not 'bitchy', just honest ....... sorry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BCjohnny, don't worry, it's easy to come over wrong sounding when posting . . . you only have to look at my history . . . but then I am actually an arѕе wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BCjohnny, It might not have come across, but I was agreeing with your point about relaxing and having fun with your riding. I know I'm a beginner with no skill worth anyone's time watching, but I'll happily put myself out there for some useful external feedback, it's all taken on-board, including yours Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry, robin mxx, not trying to sound arsey, just candid.

I read a lot of threads on here and don't comment. Not this but one of the other most common threads is 'what board do I buy that will turn me into Travis Rice?'

It's simply often a case of years of hard work. By all means take good advice but always try to ride with people who are slightly better than you but be aware of your own limitations. This second point 'brings people on' faster than anything I know.

Very best of luck Very Happy and JMO.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BCjohnny, cheers Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robin_mxx, I have not read all the posts above but from my own personal experience carving takes time to learn. I spent a few hours each day on the few trips we got away last season working on various things to help with carving. These are some of the things:

1. Find an empty green/blue run (Courchevel had some good ones) and if possible get out early so you make fresh tracks and can check if you are making thin lines. As Carving requires to ride at speed make sure its clear and safe.

2. Practice toe edge traverse for a few reps and try out different knee positions (wider, more pressure on the shins and front of boots). Then check how these different movements cause different lines in the snow.

3. Repeat the above but on your heel edge. I personally don't have a strong heel edge carve and is something I need to nail this coming season

4. Someone mentioned it above that you look very rigid. Your shoulders should be inline with your snowboard. From the video they looked a little bit "open"

5. If you were to let your arms hang loose when on your toe edge, then you hands should hang over your toe edge on the board. And when on your heel edge hang over the heel edge on your board. (I do an exercise called "grab and tickle". In other words can you tickle your toe/heel edge)

6. Adjust your high backs to give you more forward lean. This is personal to you so have a play to what feels good

7. Keep practicing and have fun, 2 weeks on snow and you already ride very well so keep at it.

8. If you can on your next trip to the mountains, book a 2hr private lesson with an English Ski/Board school and explain to them what you want to do.

Check this channel out as well. -
http://youtube.com/v/UaFyehdG0_g
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chrisrawles, thanks for adding to all the great tips, I'm looking forward trying them out.

And more odd snowboarding terms to add to the list ..."grab and tickle" Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy