Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Murren's Inferno race to be 'full vertical full length' - first time since 1992

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today's famous Inferno race in Murren, Switzerland - the longest of its type in the world - will be run to its full vertical and length - from Schilthorn to the valley town of Lauterbrunnen. This is the first time since 1992 that snow conditions have been good enough for a full-length race, so there's special excitement today.

The Inferno, established in 1928 by the British ski racing pioneer Sir Arnold Lunn, is unique and attracts around 1800 competitors who set off in rapid succession over several hours. The course, which is essentially a very long downhill, has uphill stretches that have to be quickly stepped or herringboned. The challenging terrain includes steep icy slopes, narrow passages and long traverses.

Today's race will be run to the full vertical descent of around 2200m, from Schilthorn at 2970m to the valley at 796m. At approximately four times the length of a typical downhill, the fastest a competitor can achieve is around 15 minutes.

Here's a preview of today's race from SwissInfo ...

... and an article about the 2004 race, which attracted 89-year-old Peter Lunn, son of the race's founder: again from SwissInfo.

The official race website: http://www.inferno-muerren.ch

Anyone raced or watched the Inferno? Full length or part length?
If anyone can post a spectator's view of today's race that would be great.

Competitors line up at the Schilthorn start

The head-to-head racing can get hairy
[Photos from www.inferno-muerren.ch ]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not competed in the race, but I have skied from the top of the Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen. It's a really long way!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's really annoying - it being the first time in 5 years that we aren't racing!! (other commitments, etc.)

It's a whole load of fun - but I must admit I haven't yet got my strategy sorted properly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know a few people who have done the race plus some more who will do it this year, not only is it a big verticle drop but it's a very long course at almost 16km in length, average speed for the winner (bearing in mind that there are uphill sections) will be arround 70 to 75kph
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, most competitors don't go that fast! There are some very slow skiers towards the end.

Next year...I would like to think I'll be back. New strategy and all. I found I free ski the course much faster than I race it for a whole host of reasons; gastric flu, fear, fog...lots of "f"s basically. So the new strategy will mean ditching the 218s and trying on a pair of decent modern GS (or maybe SG) boards.

And not ignoring the "the second pitch is bumpy" warnings...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Results:
1. Salzmann Mathias, 82, Blatten b. Naters 15.00,94 (17)
2. Ryser Thomas, 78, Homberg b. Thun 15.02,74 (5)
3. Gmür Stefan, 78, Amden 15.03,93 (15)

15 minutes, Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen. Unbelievable.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was the podium really topped by an 82 year old and two 78 year old skiers?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Other notable results:
Jeremy (Sunstar bar) 21:46.84 (pos 313)
Bob (DHO ski-god) 24:08.22 (pos 472)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Was the podium really topped by an 82 year old and two 78 year old skiers?

It's a popular race - there's a long wait for a start-number.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wonder if Peter Lunn still races?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell, Nick Fellows was saying on the C4 show last week that he Peter would be racing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell, ever thought of skiing the inferno yourself?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its great fun and most enjoyable but have never skied the full length due to not enough snow,lucky them this year Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell wrote:
I wonder if Peter Lunn still races?

Apparently he does, and competes very keenly:
249. Lunn Peter 85 GB-London Kandahar Silber 19.10,82

This may not be the Peter that you were referring to though!

All results;
http://services.datasport.com/2006/winter/inferno/abfahrt/default.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He normally does so it must be him
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy