Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

signs of the times - this, and this, and this closing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
If the sales and availability of high-tech outdoor gear is anything to go by

probably largely sitting in a garage somewhere gathering dust... or exploited to about 5% of its potential
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:

What does amaze me however is the number of adults who bring their children along to an activity and even though there is the facility for them to take part as well will just sit and watch. I just don't get it.

That's just natural though - not many adults want to mix it with the kids in the dog eat dog world of the soft play area or the ball pit so by the time is gets on to horizon expanding activites why would an adult want to make a tit of themselves unless they were already into that activity? After all if they were really destined to be a trampolinist chances are they'd have tried it before the age of 30.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

probably largely sitting in a garage somewhere gathering dust

indeed, but just goes to show that affordability is not the problem
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnoodyMcFlude, I don't play football so cannot comment on that demographic, but clearly there are other sports where people of all ages participate.

However, this discussion has persuaded me to actually look at some facts https://www.sportengland.org/media/10746/1x30_sport_16plus-factsheet_aps10q2.pdf

It makes interesting reading. Over the last 12 months, Football, cycling and swimming are in decline, whereas keepfit, gym, etc are all increasing and snowsport is --- neither up nor down.

However table 1 shows a rather dramatic fall in numbers across the board, more or less matching our discussion here. Of course there are some odd results - for example participation in tennis is higher than angling (perhaps the moderate intensity rule cuts them out).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

perhaps the moderate intensity rule cuts them out

It would certainly cut out a good many of the fishermen I see snoozing on banks. Or dangling a mackerel line as their boat chugs along at 2 knots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@johnE, not sure that's true. I'm in that group and used to play 6 aside football where almost all were similar age range. Likewise the people I know that do mountain biking, skiing, surfing etc. are all in the same 20-40 bracket. What I would say is that it seems a common 'sport' which people of those ages seem to do is running or just going to the gym.

I agree with you it's not age and money related. To give two examples, most of my friends form my hometown (Leamington) do bug all except work, drink, watch TV, and maybe go to a nice restaurant/tourist attraction once in a while. Almost all my friends from uni days were in the canoe club with me, and while maybe 30% don't paddle anymore, at least 95% are active climbers/MTBers/skiers/trail runners (seems to be becoming really popular!)/etc and spend a lot of time outdoors every weekend.

Same age range, similar education levels/fees, similar finances.

I'm not really sure what the difference is. Obviously the uni group is a bit self selecting as people choosing to learn to kayak in cold Aberdeen winters are likely to be more adventurous than average, while I guess also growing up in Warwickshire the only real sporting options involve chasing balls around fields, and I guess it's quite understandable that drinking beer and watching other people chase balls is more fun than doing it yourself once you've spent a year or two driving a desk and growing a belly.

Maybe it's purely down to exposure to different/more exciting/non-competetive (so not feeling like you can't keep up when the inevitable desk driving takes its toll) sports, and the opportunities you have where you live?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alex_heney, where in Austria have you been? And how much did you eat in?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, I think that partner/kids can come into it a lot...although in some cases you people who become more sporting as a couple.

@johnE, not sure that there's enough change in the year on year figures to draw much a conclusion. The year itself will make a difference, for example there was a World Cup in 2014 so you'd not be surprised for number of people doing football rising slightly. Likewise this year I wouldn't be surprised to see some Olympic sports have a bit of a surge over the last quarter....although statistic was never my strong point so maybe I just don't understand the data Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, ...artificial seems very odd to me. Terrible surface. Nasty additives. I'd rather climb if the snow simply isn't there are 1500 and above....

...but back to the theme....and this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519271/The-haunting-photographs-East-German-ski-resort-hotel-abandoned-20-years-ago-thats-ski-boots-TVs-beds.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Located in the mountainous Erzgebirge region of Saxony, Germany"

AFAIK that's gently rolling hills up to 1200m. Really more "communist-era folly" than "sign of the times".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dogwatch, ...agree entirely....but it is a beautiful photo-essay.

The sign of the times really lies in the structure of underlying finances - the growth which we are seeing in some resorts such as Andermatten (a fantastic ski area) - is founded on boom-time capital; this is not the stuff of a secure future...it's highly optimistic, almost certainly far too much so. The development at Aminona was ambitious and predicated on the interest of a few hyper-wealthy investors. It's all looking very shaky indeed when you look at real return rates.

The point I made in the original post is that we are beginning to see signs of genuine retrenchment and consolidation, and it is affecting a large number of people who depend on seasonal activity.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think skiing is going to change out of all recognition because of class, the distribution of wealth, cost, what's popular this year and what's not.
I think it's going to change out of all recognition cos there'll be no snow.
And no matter how big your rocker and how fat your skis, you just ain't gonna glide either up OR down!

"a post-apocalyptic scene, where they walk (panting in the heat) past all the rusting, decaying infrastructure on which we downhill skiers relied, and reflect 'that's what we used to do, all those years ago'..."

Climate change - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/16/antarctic-co2-hits-400ppm-for-first-time-in-4m-years
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big Paua wrote:

"a post-apocalyptic scene, where they walk (panting in the heat) past all the rusting, decaying infrastructure on which we downhill skiers relied, and reflect 'that's what we used to do, all those years ago'..."

or skiing past abandoned hotel garni

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And a contrary sign of the restructuring....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/how-far-from-home/an-alpine-town-filled-wit_b_9111140.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Little ski shop in Canterbury, Ski Shack has closed down Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy