Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel vs Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I need a little help making a decision...

Now anyone here have been to both Kitzbuhel resport in austria and Whistler in canada? Which one would you rate better for all around "beginner" skying and specifically night life...

Cheers,
Hamed - UK
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HI

I'm UK based and have always preferred skiing in Canada and the US compared to Europe. For me its a better all round experience and the longer flight just doesn't bother me.

I've only done a week in Kitzbuhel, but done 3 months in Whistler, I am biased though I love Canada. In fact just got back from there yesterday.

AB
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hamed, Welcome to snowheads. I've only been to Kitzbuhel and never to ski in Canada, so can't help much. Kitzbuhel is a lot of fun for nightlife and not bad for beginners.

I suspect that American and European skiing experiences are very different. I hope some "across the pond" experts will be able to clarify what is important to you. Kitz is a delightful town and would be a beautiful intro to the whole skiing experience for a first-timer. Maybe Whistler would be too.... snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest I wouldn't schlep over to Canada as a beginner unless I severely lacked confidence in Euro ski schools. Whistler is a great resort but it is very busy, expensive and vulnerable to rain at mid mountain and below i.e. where you would be as a beginner. You pay a lot for a lift ticket and as a beginner wouldn't get full value from it
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Kitz would be better all round for a beginner, and it's got great snow at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kitz is a great place, two ski areas to choose from and now connected the Ski-Welt region I believe. Its okay for beginners but I think its more of an intermediate's resort myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to both. Snow is good in Kitz now.

I would go for Kitzbuhel. Tuition will be cheaper and it is handier and less expensive for UK people. Apres ski, which is important to you, is lively in both places.

There have been suggestions that Whistler is getting too crowded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been to Whistler, although I have skied elsewher in Canada. Kitzbuhel is good place for nightlife, very pretty on and off the mountain, excellent mountain bars and restuarants. Whistler is a place I'd love to go, but as someone said it's a long way to go for a beginner who may not be able to take full advantage of it. The lessons are probably going to be better and more fun in Whistler, but that's just based on experience elsewhere in Canada and Austria.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 22-01-06 12:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks guys.. this site is awesome.. i had a feeling that kitz will also come out as favorite and i went on and somewhat reserved a chalete but now there is a problem... the reservation i had on the kitz is gone because i didnt call them on time... whatever im looking at now is around £800+ which i think is a bit over priced... i was more thinking around the £600 figure as its half-term and etc.. (some even excluding the flight tax and fuel whatever fees) I've been advised to look at Zermmet, St Anton or verbier and possibly merible in france... but wwwwwwhhhhhhyyyyyy should this beee too complicated.. there is too much information available on every resort on the interenet which that single fact makes it even more difficult to decide for novice skiers... I know its the half-term which affects the pricing but its the only time i can take my teenage brother out to ski...

Im still looking for kitz though... I think i'll give whistler a go possibly next year... many people have promised to call me back on kitz and find stuff but i am sure that will not happen...

wish me luck.. rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keep at it, you never know what might pop up. If you can organise transport out there for a reasonable price (tricky at this stage), you may find some reasonable B&B deals in Kitzbuhel through the tourist office http://www.kitzbuehel.com/english.asp

Since you asked, good luck!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hamed, Feb half term is always a killer. It is the busiest and most expensive week of the year. I have to go that week too, and book up for next yearsas soon as I get back!

All the same, there are last minute offers if you work at it, especially if there are just two of you. Try Iglu, and call them for the latest having seen what is on offer. Snow is superb anywhere in Austria right now and there are plenty of good places for beginners. Best of luck. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hamed,

Another thought to throw into the mix: how long do you plan to go for?

I go to Canada every year, but always for 2 week-periods. It isn't really worth going for less than 10 days, in my opinion, since the jet-lag can be a killer.

If you're just thinking of taking a week, it'll get you when you go, and it'll get you when you come back. 10-14 days makes a 10-hour flight worthwhile. 7 days might not.

- Having said that, Canadian instruction is excellent, and in English by native speakers, and I'd thoroughly recommend it for a beginner skier.

-I'd also recommend Banff over Whistler for a beginner/low intermediate.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are a complete beginner I can recommend Alpe D'Huez in France. The flight and transfer are short and the amount of terrain for beginners is awesome. There are many green runs and plenty of blues and reds for when you progress.

I have just been with my younger brother who was almost a complete beginner and we managed to get him down a short black run by the end of the week after he spent a week in ski school.

cannot recommend this place enough for beginners. It was cheap too. Per person in a half board catered chalet plu 1 week ski pass, morning ski school every day and intermediate ski's boots and poles came out at £564 with going places but this is not in half term.

good luck
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hey guys, thanks for all your replies... i've made some progress overall... basically kitzbuhel didnt happen as i couldnt find any place with decent prices... whistler i liked to go, butt i think i'll leave that for when i am a beter skiier hopefully for next year...

now what i found:

Les Deux aples... £577 from bristol... i know its like an hour an half drive from where i am... its at 11th feb... and its going to be in a chalet called clement, (http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?PID=319)... I am not going to be fussy anymore and just hope this will be a good one...

Will let you know how it goes when i come back...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good. As a beginner, you will probably be looking for a ski instructor. I wonder if there are any ones in LDA. Perhaps someone here can recommend one.
ski holidays
i've already mentioned that to the holiday operator and i was told that there will be someone in the bus from the airport to the resort giving us the offers... but i would prefer to get recommendations from you guys than them... brilliant idea richmond Smile
ski holidays
Little chance of getting Charlotte for that week I think. LDA is just fine for what you want. You will start on the glacier I guess. You'll love it. (Looks a good deal too!) snowHead
snow conditions
Just to clarify that last post for you Hamed, we have a much esteemed member called Easiski whose real name is Charlotte. She lives and works in Deux Alpes. I'm sure she will be happy to say hello, but I doubt whether she will have any unbooked space in that busiest of weeks.

Many of us went to LDA at the end of October (via Easiski, it was called the PSB) and if you look through the threads and the photos on the snowMedia zone you will find out a lot about the place. It will be a great place for a first ski holiday. Enjoy. snowHead
snow conditions
thanks chris.. actually i had come across the name easiski before whilst reading the posts and noticed many recommendations... but completly missed out on the fact that Chalotte lives in LDA...

(secretly now hoping charlotte will reply saying telling me about availability and prices...i doubt it too as your saying she must be pretty busy for that week, specially that it will be two of us in need to tuition so i dont know how that will work...)

Looking at videos now Wink haha how fun is this... : Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy